Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1713190184858.png

You'd have to hope the following with Drew leaving.

1. 4680 is basically done and they are just copying the lines
2. FSD is now the only mission of the company and they are basically ready to go.
3. Megapack is a copy and paste to build more storage.

Because if both of those are true then the company makes its shift to transportation as a service with a minor side of car sales and continues to build Optimus....tack on megapack and you have the next 10 years figured out. Maybe he sees his work as done and the effort required at Tesla is beyond what he wants to do. I'm sure he's in the 100's of millions in options or stock.

If some or none of these are true, it tells me that Elon has basically decreed that they are solely focused on FSD and next gen car and Drew doesn't see it. You combine that with production layoffs I think they are fine with the 1.5M+ premium cars, SUV's and trucks per year, with the intent to automate most of the Robotaxi.
I don’t buy your explanation. Preventing Drew from join the competition is
Worth more than firing him.

I don’t buy your explanation. Preventing Drew from join the competition is
Worth more than firing him.

Do you think that is Drew's only choice, join the competition?

Did JB Straubel join the competition when he left Tesla?

What if Drew carries on the Mission by developing a parallel company, or helps another existing company like Redwood to grow faster?

Or, just kicks back and enjoys life for a while.

EDIT: Wait... do you actually think Drew was fired? 🤣

Last edited:
How can you not know what the plan is!? It’s pretty clear and always has been.

Continue to look for efficiencies, preparations for the next growth phase, all-in FSD. What part don’t you understand?
I want to give people the benefit of the doubt but sometimes I get the feeling your sole purpose here is to pick fights.

Anyway, if your question is serious - Tesla is a disappointment for shareholders lately and the quickly declining growth needs to be addressed somehow, either by cutting costs (as today) or by a clearly communicated plan on how to increase revenues.

It sucks to see an engineering powerhouse leave Tesla. Working with Drew wasn't always easy as he always demanded the best from everyone at all times, but like Elon, was just about the engineering and only the engineering so you always knew you could count on focus and rigor in the teams he directed.

We lost a key engineer to Apple in 2014 who left in a whirlwind of emotion and my initial reaction was very negative towards Drew. I thought his poor management skills were mostly to blame. I came to understand that not only was the departure just due to engineering disagreements, but he was 'in the right' and held his ground with dignity and understanding for the rest of the team, explained what happened logically and ended up with that engineer returning years later.

My good thoughts on this topic are that he did quite a bit to ensure that folks stayed in sync, knew the logic, strategy and vision. This promoted cross-functional learning, allowed forward thinkers to excel, allowed natural leaders to grow and ultimately create better products. My sense is that he's left a set of folks behind that will hit the ground running.

I have a crazy theory, here me out - maybe working somewhere for 18 years is a really long time and he wants to do something else.

That's a perfectly reasonable possible explanation.

But I think some folks utter rejection of the possibility there are other, less bullish, ones... especially folks who insisted this was fake news like 10 minutes ago... might be worth a a reconsideration. But I don't feel terribly optimistic that'll happen.

It's easy to overreact to layoff announcements. Nearly all well run companies have highly competent employees who have solved crucial problems, but which are no longer needed.
In every organization people voluntarily leave to do other things. When major changes in production processes happen, as they are now doing at Tesla, the human resources needed do reduce. At Tesla, like many companies every couple of years such a realignment happens.

Realistically wise peopled not announce such events far in advance. People unaffected can be 'spooked'. They require careful planning in every respect.

When 2024 was billed as a year of consolidation and transformation we should have expected numerous surprises during the year.

That does not mean we do feel nervous.

Another breaking news report from that trusted purveyor of FUD, Doomberg?

Sell Sell Sell

/s

Frankly, if Drew did choose to retire or do something else, what's the problem with that?
I'd offer congrats, and thanks for all they did for Tesla.
🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱

Every. Single. Time. A C-suite/high level employee leaves it’s the end of the world.

Peter Rawlinson
Nick Sampson
George Blankenship
Gilbert Passien
Jerome Guillen
J.B. Straubel
Deepak (twice)
Zack Kirkhorn
The CFO Dude between Deepak and Deepak
Doug Fields
All the FSD/AI/computer geeks and so many more

OMG, already. Give it a rest you doomsayers. It’s like they can’t think past the end of their noses. 🙄

Do you think that is Drew's only choice, join the competition?

Did JB Straubel join the competition when he left Tesla?

What if Drew carries on the Mission by developing a parallel company, or helps another existing company like Redwood to grow faster?

Or, just kicks back and enjoys life for a while.
He has countless options, including getting hired by Mercedes , VW etc to develope
Their electric unit.

But for sure he is not going to start an electric car company.

• Funny
Reactions: jerry33
Agreed. Just did a street level view of the circle, and there’s no way FSD should have entered the BP lot without going around the circle. There’s a one way sign clearly visible.

It occured to me: perhaps there was no traffic in the roundabout, but then I re-read the original report by @Musskiahand he said the car signaled (implying FSD was already engaged) and then a couple of cars passed in the roundabout, so FSD had both the sign and traffic it could evaluate. But it did indeed at least wait for traffic to pass...

Reactions: ShareLofty
It's easy to overreact to layoff announcements. Nearly all well run companies have highly competent employees who have solved crucial problems, but which are no longer needed.
In every organization people voluntarily leave to do other things. When major changes in production processes happen, as they are now doing at Tesla, the human resources needed do reduce. At Tesla, like many companies every couple of years such a realignment happens.

Realistically wise peopled not announce such events far in advance. People unaffected can be 'spooked'. They require careful planning in every respect.

When 2024 was billed as a year of consolidation and transformation we should have expected numerous surprises during the year.

That does not mean we do feel nervous.
Layoffs are one thing. Resignations from top execs is a whole different one.

And we've been waiting for the "after-10K" talk for months now

He has countless options, including getting hired by Mercedes , VW etc to develope
Their electric unit.

Which would still help the mission, would it not?

I don't think he'd be a good fit at VW. Much like with Herbert Diess, they may still not be ready to make the drastic changes needed.

Mercedes, maybe. Ford possible as able to make good use of his talents as well.

Let's hope whatever he does will continue to accelerate the transition.

There need to be more successful EV companies out there. Particularly in the US.

Last edited: