Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there it is - he has young kids he wants to spend more time with. What a shocking development.
Right. In a high stress environment, such as Tesla, almost anyone would want a rest period. Particularly if you don't want to emulate that Cat Steven's song.

These departures are not good news obviously, but not cause for serious concern without an ugly backstory. Instead they seem very reasonable and amicable.

Drew especially really deserves a nice long break. 18 years under Elon has to be like 81 years under a normal boss.
Tesla has been hoovering up the best engineering talent in the world for the last decade if the surveys for best places to work are accurate.

Sad to see Drew go, but there must be an astonishing number of brilliant engineers at Tesla we have never heard of that now have years of experience and are hungry to step up.

Drew was a grad when he joined.

Perhaps it is more like Drew didn't need Tesla any more.

Like @Drax before, you seem to think that Drew was fired, just because he resigned on the same day the layoff was announced?

It seems more likely the timing was strategic to limit the hit to one news cycle.
Good point. I wouldn’t have thought of that. Strategic.

It’s not a reflection of engineering talent, but leadership. I know many terrific engineers that are not leaders.

Rohan wasn’t engineering.

Oh, well, then, I guest your point is,... that's it for Tesla? 🤷‍♂️

Because terrific leaders would never think to groom their best talent to follow as the next leader?

The cover came off the pedal in the ‘OMG it’s just the worse thing ever to happen on the planet TikTok. I have the same type of cover on my 3. It’s also not screwed on.

Regardless. It’s not a big deal. It’ll get fixed and then everyone can stop clutching their pearls.

While I'm sure there are some "sky is falling reports", having a pedal slide off where it can get wedged under the floor/carpet at 100% acceleration (as was demonstrated in the video posted earlier) really isn't good.

Fortunately, Tesla's EV design will cut the motor power if it detects a conflict with someone applying the brake, so there's no chance of the motor overpowering the friction brakes, but that replies on the driver to realize what's going on and do so. While AEB hopefully would kick in if there was going to be a collision, you really don't want to rely on the last line of defense.

Unintended continued acceleration could be bad, and I'm glad to see Tesla addressing it quickly. I suspect a recall for vehicles in the wild as well (unfortumately not OTA this time). The last thing we need are collisions or injury... the news cycle would get 100X worse.

🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱

Every. Single. Time. A C-suite/high level employee leaves it’s the end of the world.

Peter Rawlinson
Nick Sampson
George Blankenship
Gilbert Passien
Jerome Guillen
J.B. Straubel
Deepak (twice)
Zack Kirkhorn
The CFO Dude between Deepak and Deepak
Doug Fields
All the FSD/AI/computer geeks and so many more

OMG, already. Give it a rest you doomsayers. It’s like they can’t think past the end of their noses. 🙄
Karpathy left and FSD is here. The show must go on.
Same with SpaceX - Hans Koenigsmann "left" and Starship is still on better track than before.

Now, for older kids here ;) - remember when Scott Forstall sugared up the maps? I do. He was gone soon after.

Other vehicles have an entirely different pedal design......

Though simply the fact the stop-ship is only on CT also tells us something is done differently there than on other vehicles.
Thanks for the links but I dont think they show the real problem with the pedal cover and not the pedal design itself. On my Model S there is a rubber lip that goes mostly around the metal pedal especially on the lower side so it holds it from sliding up and off. I think the problem is that the CT pedal is trapezoidal and only really held on but some adhesive on the bottom and once that adhesive fails it is destined to move up due to its shape. I'm sure it will be fixed quickly

CT pedal cover:
1713197411307.jpeg

Model S pedal cover:
1713197423997.jpeg

Last edited:
The recent executive departures confirm my view that nobody senior can outshine Elon or even appear to in any way.

I have previously mentioned that Tesla needs executives like Gwynne Shotwell to get the basic but mundane things done well in Tesla.

After todays departures I have realised that she is also the ideal executive in another way in that even though she is very important in the smooth running of spacex she keeps a low profile plus she isn’t an engineer so that helps in Elon getting all the publicity for spacex.

With regards to tesla this issue arguably hasn’t hurt the company but if the day comes when the whole senior management/ engineers are mediocre yes men then we will be in trouble.

Drew and Rohan leaving are sad news indeed. Rohan particularly as I felt he was a fantastic communicator between Tesla and the public / investors. I think he helped to fill a communication gap which Tesla suffers from, especially when it comes to fighting against FUD. IMHO.

Concerning how they happened simultaneously too, in my opinion.
Disappointing for sure; they both did a lot over the years, and I know they’ll be missed.

But IMHO, it’s not concerning. Tesla is a hard place to work; Elon is very demanding and the relentless drive to get things done takes a toll on people eventually. Good people leave; that’s a fact, but Tesla has a deep bench and they’ve repeatedly proven over the years they can fill key positions from within and not miss a beat.

The recent executive departures confirm my view that nobody senior can outshine Elon or even appear to in any way.

I have previously mentioned that Tesla needs executives like Gwynne Shotwell to get the basic but mundane things done well in Tesla.

After todays departures I have realised that she is also the ideal executive in another way in that even though she is very important in the smooth running of spacex she keeps a low profile plus she isn’t an engineer so that helps in Elon getting all the publicity for spacex.

With regards to tesla this issue arguably hasn’t hurt the company but if the day comes when the whole senior management/ engineers are mediocre yes men then we will be in trouble.
oooh, you almost had me at hello:

What did Gwynne Shotwell study?

Ms. Gwynne Shotwell - NASA

Shotwell received, with honors, her bachelor's and master's degrees from Northwestern University in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mathematics, and serves on their Board. She has authored dozens of papers on a variety of space related subjects.Jul 26, 2023

This seems to imply how you believe that Elon has an ego issue that is detrimental to his management of his companies.

Despite how people close to Elon have stated how his total lack of ego is one of his strong points.

Elon is mostly driven by "being less wrong" and this is based upon the premise that he knows he will be wrong sometimes.

It would be difficult to hold this attitude and also fill the senior management and engineering teams with mediocre "yes men," would it not?

Or, maybe what you are saying that these people who have left over the years were all mediocre "yes men." 🤔

Why would merely “screwing on” (etc) accelerator pedals precipitate the entire shutdown of a production line? Has the latter not occurred, or are there other forces at play?

I don't think I've heard that the production line is shut down. I only saw/read that deliveries are paused for about a week.

If the fix, once finalized, can be easily done "in the field," I would expect that production and shipping will continue, and they just need to finalize the fix and then implement it before delivery.

We don't know what the fix is...and there will be some evaluation, design, and testing as Tesla works it out. For all we know, the pedal adhesive just needs to sit for a week with zero stress (ie: zero use of the pedal) so that it can cure to full strength. Or maybe there will be a different adhesive procedure. Or a different batch of adhesive. Or a different adhesive entirely. Or maybe it does need a screw. Or maybe the pedal cover will be redesigned with an extra bend or two to mechanically secure it to the pedal.

We did here that the 12-hour factory shifts were reduced to 11...but I wouldn't consider that a shutdown. And, Joe Tegtmeyer's observations today (tweet with images below) seem to show many Cybertrucks produced at the factory and waiting outside...so based on that, I don't think production has been shut down: