Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These offerings are proving to be very popular in many countries, by observations only, it seems these are much more prevalent in middle income countries where delivery became ubiquitous during the Covid-19 crisis. One of my nephews invested in one of those in 2020, and it has been highly successful. Another acquaintance did the same thing in Shenzen and is now very prosperous.

The obvious question is how effective a RoboTaxi can be at this business. Robots and drones have been used with some local successes but seem to be having limitations. Will or can Robotaxi correct those problems.

FSD 12xx thus far has shown, if my perceptions are correct, little propensity to solve the 'last mile' problem in urban settings, although there seems to be evidence of some success in suburban settings. The 'door dash' and others, do manage to delivery in urban places, to MFD apartment numbers etc. On the face of it, RoboTaxi seems likely to be unequipped for such markets.

Probably we all want RoboTaxi to work. It seems to me that FSD even at L5, is only part of the story.
Hopefully I'm wrong about that. It would be wonderful were I to be proven wrong!
You back in @unk45? :)

Innovators dilemma playing out for legacy OEMs in a slow motion train wreck... they deserve to fail at this point

Were folks really happy when they paid $68k for the MY which is now closer to ~$35k (w/tax credit for cheapest one I saw)? I think the EV competition is what helped pricing, as much as people here will never buy another EV brand, they/everyone got to benefit from legacy OEMs having some products when there was none 5 years ago. Same for $15k FSD. Competition helps/forces Tesla to do better which is a benefit to everyone here especially.

Unlike 2020/2021, there are still lots of EVs in inventory sitting for all car makers (Tesla included, the list always sits at 200 for me).

Has anyone with accountancy skillz managed to decode the 10-q and work out how much, if any, of FSD revenue got recognised this quarter? I searched but I am not familiar with a lot of the terminology.

This is what I could find, but the number isn't split out for FSD and other items:

Revenue recognized from the deferred revenue balances as of December 31, 2023 and 2022 was $281 million and $134 million for the three months ended March 31, 2024 and 2023, respectively.

Has anyone with accountancy skillz managed to decode the 10-q and work out how much, if any, of FSD revenue got recognised this quarter? I searched but I am not familiar with a lot of the terminology.
There is no way to know the exact amount. I suspect it was fairly minimal as it was mainly for the Autopark capabilities for vehicles without USS in North America:

+ higher FSD revenue recognition YoY due to release of Autopark feature in North America

But overall deferred revenue for FSD/etc. decreased by $40M in the quarter:
Deferred revenue related to the access to our Full Self Driving (Supervised) (“FSD”) Capability features and their ongoing maintenance, internet connectivity, free Supercharging programs and over-the-air software updates primarily on automotive sales amounted to $3.50 billion and $3.54 billion as of March 31, 2024 and December 31, 2023, respectively.
Some of the decrease could even be from people taking advantage of the FSD/Supercharging transfer programs during Q1. (Since the transfer could end up with more restrictions on it, and therefore less deferred revenue linked to it.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
These offerings are proving to be very popular in many countries, by observations only, it seems these are much more prevalent in middle income countries where delivery became ubiquitous during the Covid-19 crisis. One of my nephews invested in one of those in 2020, and it has been highly successful. Another acquaintance did the same thing in Shenzen and is now very prosperous.

The obvious question is how effective a RoboTaxi can be at this business. Robots and drones have been used with some local successes but seem to be having limitations. Will or can Robotaxi correct those problems.

FSD 12xx thus far has shown, if my perceptions are correct, little propensity to solve the 'last mile' problem in urban settings, although there seems to be evidence of some success in suburban settings. The 'door dash' and others, do manage to delivery in urban places, to MFD apartment numbers etc. On the face of it, RoboTaxi seems likely to be unequipped for such markets.

Probably we all want RoboTaxi to work. It seems to me that FSD even at L5, is only part of the story.
Hopefully I'm wrong about that. It would be wonderful were I to be proven wrong!

This brought to mind how a business needing to deliver something could call a Robotaxi and put both their goods and a delivery person on board. The RT could be programmed for multiple stops and a return to origin.

Everyone gets their pizza, or Amazon order, or whatever, the business has lowered their delivery costs, and the problem of getting from the RT to specific apartments, offices, etc. is solved with use of a low wage employee.

Are we certain that "new" models on existing lines means truly new body styles? If anybody has seen any analysis of this question today please share, TIA.
A Tesla ought to really look as if it is a Tesla (or Cyber) to promote brand awareness. If it looks very different, then more education will be required. The more people see Teslas on the road, the more they will consider getting one.

There are plenty of use cases that will probably always need a human. Some Uber riders need luggage assistance and request it when booking a ride. That’s obviously not going to happen with robotaxi.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
As a car enthusiast and seeing the latest news through that lens, it now makes sense.

1. Lars came from Honda, so it makes sense they chose the Civic to tear down. The Civic is based on Honda's Global Platform. All of Honda cars excluding the North American Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey, and Passport are built on this platform. The CRV, HRV, (North American and ROW), Civic, Accord, and other vehicles sold out of North America are built on this Global Platform. That is where R&D money goes into, the platform and components. Those volume nameplates share many components under the skin. All manufacturers do this, Toyota has its TNG platform with 4/5ths of its products built on it.

2. So Reuters was right, the NV whatever was cancelled, but Reuters was wrong in that Tesla was abandoning that segment. I bet Lars has been developing a smaller vehicle based on the Y platform for some time. It's the platform and components underneath the skin that are key. Just as you can shrink a platform, one can enlarge it too, as again, automakers are doing now. It keeps Capex down. The new vehicle does not have to look like the Y or 3 to share the same line. Other automakers do this all the time. I bet the autobiographer was not at this meeting to use the present platform.

3. These decisions were made a year or two ago. IMO, explains the Model Y delay. Lars had stated in an interview to do a 48V architecture, one had to start with a new platform. If Tesla updates their highest seller, the Y to 48V architecture, and tweaks the platform, that immediately makes the CT more profitable per unit because the 48V unit prices will drop significantly. Its been stated on the Munro show the Cyber Truck is using a heavily updated Y chassis and components. It also makes the new lower price Tesla and RT cheaper to make using 48V components.

4. And remember the pics of covered chassis seen in Austin and Fremont? We were wondering if it was a Model Y or not? No, were not looking at the RT new gen chassis, but it could have been the new cheaper Tesla in development. Which has been described as a smaller Y.

As a cyclist, love to see this, impressive. One advantage of AI over humans: It is always patient.

The other good thing is that FSD won't get get annoyed when cyclists pull the stunts in this video... drift back and forth across the line in to your lane, don't signal when doing so, make a left from the right lane, turn left in front of you when originally behind and you had next right of way...

Were folks really happy when they paid $68k for the MY which is now closer to ~$35k (w/tax credit for cheapest one I saw)? I think the EV competition is what helped pricing, as much as people here will never buy another EV brand, they/everyone got to benefit from legacy OEMs having some products when there was none 5 years ago. Same for $15k FSD. Competition helps/forces Tesla to do better which is a benefit to everyone here especially.

Unlike 2020/2021, there are still lots of EVs in inventory sitting for all car makers (Tesla included, the list always sits at 200 for me).
COVID induced short term vehicle price movements have nothing to do with my point ... legacy going back ICE /Hybrids due to need for short term profits ....and after all ot them claiming pivot to BEV the past few years .. hence the dilemma ... they don't make any profit on BEV ... so they pivot back to profitable ICE/Hybrid in short term ... this vicious cycle continues until they are bankrupt

Depends, if BYDs decided to sell vehicles from their own platform under the BMW brand, not so much, right? Just saying it is not so obvious in such a constellation how to classify a brand or and automaker...
Have you conversed with present BYD owners? I rode in an Uber this morning in a BYD Dolphin. The new owner gushed about regenerative braking (apparently not as good as Tesla's), cheap electricity compared with gasoline in his previous Chevrolet, no maintenance schedule and, above all according to him, quiet!
Once an Ev driver, it seems almost everyone wants to stay an EV driver. Mr. Chu, a Chinese immigrant to Brazil, says his Uber associates aer clamoring to buy BYD.

For experienced EV drivers only, the BMW brand is regarded as expensive to buy, expensive to maintain and not really better, at least in my circles, limited as they are to UK, US and Brazil. OTOH among my UK associates several have bought used Jaguar I-Pace or Model Y.

That is all anecdotal, but the sales figures indicate BYD is doing quite well head to head and their best selling models are not always the cheapest. Tesla affordability to nearing that of any competitor so the future may not be crystal clear. One thing is certain BYD is NOT the cheapest necessarily, although their Seagull always features cheap price, but buyers come for Seagull as a cheap urban runabout, and then, like my next door neighbor, buy a new Seal instead. I asked, since he already has two Volvo EV's why a Seal? Said he: "it looked so nice, drove so well, was even more attractive than my Volvo's so instead of a Dolphin Mini (Seagull name in Brazil), I bought the Seal for me and give the XC40 Recharge to my son. This even happened less than a week ago.

We tesla active in these equations I'm curious what the answers might've been.

A Tesla ought to really look as if it is a Tesla (or Cyber) to promote brand awareness. If it looks very different, then more education will be required. The more people see Teslas on the road, the more they will consider getting one.

Cybertruck, doesn't have a T or "Tesla" on it and it is successfully providing a brand education simply by looking different.

I'm of the camp that Tesla can make statements in their design choices that will paint that picture well. Even if it is "different" from what folks are used to, it will soon become common knowledge that it is a Tesla.

It might get to the point that people assume by default that anything different is a Tesla. Thus making innovation more challenging for the late comers to the party from among the legacy players.

As a car enthusiast and seeing the latest news through that lens, it now makes sense.

1. Lars came from Honda, so it makes sense they chose the Civic to tear down. The Civic is based on Honda's Global Platform. All of Honda cars excluding the North American Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey, and Passport are built on this platform. The CRV, HRV, (North American and ROW), Civic, Accord, and other vehicles sold out of North America are built on this Global Platform. That is where R&D money goes into, the platform and components. Those volume nameplates share many components under the skin. All manufacturers do this, Toyota has its TNG platform with 4/5ths of its products built on it.

2. So Reuters was right, the NV whatever was cancelled, but Reuters was wrong in that Tesla was abandoning that segment. I bet Lars has been developing a smaller vehicle based on the Y platform for some time. It's the platform and components underneath the skin that are key. Just as you can shrink a platform, one can enlarge it too, as again, automakers are doing now. It keeps Capex down. The new vehicle does not have to look like the Y or 3 to share the same line. Other automakers do this all the time. I bet the autobiographer was not at this meeting to use the present platform.

3. These decisions were made a year or two ago. IMO, explains the Model Y delay. Lars had stated in an interview to do a 48V architecture, one had to start with a new platform. If Tesla updates their highest seller, the Y to 48V architecture, and tweaks the platform, that immediately makes the CT more profitable per unit because the 48V unit prices will drop significantly. Its been stated on the Munro show the Cyber Truck is using a heavily updated Y chassis and components. It also makes the new lower price Tesla and RT cheaper to make using 48V components.

4. And remember the pics of covered chassis seen in Austin and Fremont? We were wondering if it was a Model Y or not? No, were not looking at the RT new gen chassis, but it could have been the new cheaper Tesla in development. Which has been described as a smaller Y.

One more point to that

We've seen one picture (which I won't be able right now) of a Model 3 front wheel drive with the wheels not aligned to the wheel well, that could have been a test vehicle for this middle cheaper vehicle we'll see

FWD drive makes total sense in lower power and cheaper vehicle since you can focus all the complexity on the front, no HV, control, cooling lines running front to back

Oops, you did not go to the bottom:
second to last line item: Free cash flow: -2531
you showed 'from operations', were that not have been negative it would have been catastrophic.

when including Capex, a crucial line item and the basis for future expectations, the reality is that for the first time in several years they do not now generate enough cash flow to support all their plans.

We now can see why Monterrey is seemingly delayed, what existing factories are about to build the new derivative models and why the revolutionary new processes planned are being somewhat curtailed.

Were this to be some other company that did not have revolutionary plans and a track record of making seeming impossible things happen this might not be a serious issue. This is Tesla, so they really need that large cushion, especially with interest rates as high as they are.

Without much doubt we understand the reasons for this:
-Suez canal;
-Giga Germany effects of terrorist attack;
-most desirable models and variants sometimes short supply while predicted choices less desired so inventories grew. Plethora of other reasons why demand suffered;
- Blew money on unproductive tactics (e.g. imprudent advertising choices, inadequate sales and delivery processes, etc);
- Distraction on 'shiny objects' rather than improving core businesses;
-slower than desirable rollout of Semi and storage products;
-and a few more.

Each of those resulted in either lower revenues or higher costs or both. These can be debated as can a number of others. The net results, however, cannot be debated. Those are facts!

I hoped never to write such a post. I hope they've awakened and will return to the core skills that brought TSLA so far. Shiny objects such as FSD and Optimus may happen soon enough. Will they eliminate the need to repair existing deficiencies? I do not think so.

You don’t take into account the 2 most important reasons why free cash flow was negative:
- $2.7B growth in inventory, which was confirmed on the CC to be sold during Q2
- $1B AI infrastructure capex.

These 2 items were choices done by the Tesla management team. They could have chosen differently.
Capex was $2773M, that is hundreds of millions more than the highest amount in the previous 4 quarters, Q1 23 was only $2072M.

The inventory build will be gone next quarter.
The AI capex will probably remain elevated because Tesla wants to go from 35000 H100 equivalent to 85000 by the end of the year.
Tesla has apparently decided to focus on investing in AI infra the previous and also the coming quarters. We already knew this from Elons tweets, but now we see this in the quarter results.
The FSD push is probably already enough risk for the cash balance, resulting in a more conservative capacity increase (delaying or minimizing the unboxed production lines), also in the light of a (hopefully temporarily) softer demand (for all EVs).
This is like Intel investing big time during semiconductor down periods, because they could and the competition couldn’t.

This brought to mind how a business needing to deliver something could call a Robotaxi and put both their goods and a delivery person on board. The RT could be programmed for multiple stops and a return to origin.

Everyone gets their pizza, or Amazon order, or whatever, the business has lowered their delivery costs, and the problem of getting from the RT to specific apartments, offices, etc. is solved with use of a low wage employee.
That really might work! There are even services, like nurses, labs doing medical sampling house calls, every kind of skilled delivery. They would not need to dive, but could solve the 'last mile' problem, with a little help.
smart idea!

"Cybertruck Dynamic Systems, Inc." Later renamed to...

I mean, they already have had the datacenter for years...

1713968952446.png