Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I personally know of one person who successfully described his Gulfstream G550 as his primary residence. I do not suggest such arguments are either easy nor the norm. There is no question about how that would be conventionally viewed or whether doing such a thing would be wise.
Right. As I said, people try to make claims and often aren't getting caught, but it's clear the intention was to exclude vehicles.

As someone said on the CT forum, they are going to put it on blocks for a year and show that it doesn't have any mileage outside of the drive home. They want to sell it later.

Most don't believe that will pass, either.

Right. As I said, people try to make claims and often aren't getting caught, but it's clear the intention was to exclude vehicles.

As someone said on the CT forum, they are going to put it on blocks for a year and show that it doesn't have any mileage outside of the drive home. They want to sell it later.

Most don't believe that will pass, either.
My case did pass audit. the owner obviously can employ highly skilled advocates. The person in question also was a very large taxpayer, so could display a healthy net revenue to the IRS. Keep in mind that the IRS tends to be less accepting of zero tax payers, unless said non-payers have enormous political influence.

No need to resolve the issue when we also know that the vast majority of Cybertruck and F150 EV's do not have adequate tax bills nor resources to conduct such an argument, and few would anyway since they're, if tax conscious, probably leasing it anyway.

I am reticent to accept blanket categorical statements on such subjects when their administration is often at odds with what appears to be the 'letter of the law'. Reticent because too many seemingly implausible things regularly happen.

Posted an hour ago. Doesn't seem like someone that hates his former employer.

Screenshot_20240426_083944_X.jpg

Nothing against those of you that are attorneys, but if that is the case then maybe just say that and leave out the ambiguity? I am sure the IRS has clear instructions on this.

Wouldn't you be better off just asking your own tax attorney/CPA than come to an investor's thread for tax advice? As with everything tax/IRS related, you can do whatever you want, but if you get audited and lose, then it shouldn't be a surprise. Or, why ask for advice when clearly here, no one can give you crystal clear answers that would apply/be relevant anyways for your specific case? I actually think the IRS is purposely ambiguous since Congress makes up a lot of these things and we have a certain legal system in the US (can just argue anything in court).

I assume all these posts will be moved, but I don't even know why this tax related question for the CT is even in this thread.

Has anyone here figured out an accurate way to determine what percentage of TSLA chairs are actually available to trade, after accounting for long-term institutional and retail investors whose shares simply won't be sold over the long term?
i.e.: as opposed to any of those poor, less regarded stocks without an army of shareholders in the fanboi-HODLer-cult classification that absolutely refuse to sell.

I've just been enjoying watching the higher highs and higher lows playing out and it got me to wondering if there is a method to calculate with any accuracy how significant this aspect of TSLA availability is?

Last edited:
Reactions: SPadival
Posted an hour ago. Doesn't seem like someone that hates his former employer.

View attachment 1042014
I always tell my kids to never bad mouth anyone, regardless of how much you loathe/detest them (former employers included). You never want to be that 'person' with a bad rep. Plus, if i was walking away with $50M + after taxes, I would have nothing ill to say (in public at least)

Wouldn't you be better off just asking your own tax attorney/CPA than come to an investor's thread for tax advice? As with everything tax/IRS related, you can do whatever you want, but if you get audited and lose, then it shouldn't be a surprise. Or, why ask for advice when clearly here, no one can give you crystal clear answers that would apply/be relevant anyways for your specific case? I actually think the IRS is purposely ambiguous since Congress makes up a lot of these things and we have a certain legal system in the US (can just argue anything in court).

I assume all these posts will be moved, but I don't even know why this tax related question for the CT is even in this thread.
My question was more about the value Powershare has in Tesla vehicles, especially if it's an option on vehicles going forward. If I could charge say $2,500 for the capability in my car, but then you could turn around and write off at least a portion of that use for home backup, there could be a rather large motivation to pay for such a thing. And having just taken delivery of mine I was curious.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Right...back when they were pursuing "Model 2."

What was announced yesterday is not that. In fact, we don't know what it is because they gave no details.
Everything will be revealed on 8/8. Speaking of, anyone think Elon picked 8/8 to release all the details on Robotaxi and future products so that he can pump the stock in the mean time before his compensation package goes for a revote at the ASM?

Read the fine print... income cap is hilariously low for WA state.... like 93k max income for a family for 4 in a state that's not cheap to live in.
Even though the income is hilariously low, at least 50% of the people I work with who makes 40k/year ends up buying a new car that cost about 28-32k with 8+% interest rates and ridiculously long terms of 7 years.
So if you can get a new Tesla with these lease terms

$127/month for @Tesla Model 3
$207/month for @Tesla Model Y

It's actually a good financial decision for people who works at starbucks to get one. Seattle's gas prices are 5-6 dollars a gallon! Most would spend 127/month just on gas easy!

Everything will be revealed on 8/8. Speaking of, anyone think Elon picked 8/8 to release all the details on Robotaxi and future products so that he can pump the stock in the mean time before his compensation package goes for a revote at the ASM?
I suspect he’s expecting a release of FSD to come out before then that will bolster support for him by way of “look what I got done”.

And I think 8/8 he picked because he has seemingly started to enjoy numbers with meaning (4/20 etc) and 8 is a homonym for wealth in mandarin.

Reactions: ShareLofty
Ok, corrected to say not sold anywhere outside of China and if they are sold in China is a big maybe because Greely does not report the breakout of the only model using this battery It goes in one, and only one, high end model from Greely. We know it's coming though, CATL is no joke, neither is LG or Pano. CATL started delivering sample packs last year, it is not clear if they have made it into production and in any case as it relates to the original question: They don't exist as an alternative in the near term for Tesla. Companies are not yet ready to provide 4680s to Tesla at scale.

Waymo could be the first user of the CATL 4680 in the USA via the new Zeeker platform autonomous vehicle the two companies developed together. They started receiving them in the USA recently and job postings from Greely and Waymo hint that they'll be testing soon. The vehicle is a bit delayed and perhaps the delay in the battery is a reason?

Waymo has an order for 50k of them and it's my thinking that this means they'll chase the Uber profit centers because that number matches up pretty well with the number of vehicles Uber keeps busy constantly in the 10 most profitable cities in the USA. Could be coincidence but I don't think so.
Great info, thanks.

LG 4680 production in AZ is just months away

Sorry. Transportation is explicitly excluded.

Perhaps we can count the stationary equipment and installation costs if not the Cybertruck itself?

If you don’t install the PowerShare equipment (which you need to go through a Tesla certified installer to obtain), Tesla will give you a $700 credit for their shop.

In my case I probably need to have additional power cabling run to my detached garage as well as have the sub-panel in the garage replaced.

Maybe that’ll fly?

Reactions: Zero CO2