Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But didn't Musk say in the recent earnings call that they will beat last year's delivery numbers?
Of course that's what he wants. Doesn't make it reality.

Who knows, sales could explode in Q3/Q4 and the insurmountable gap could close. Troy is projecting with the Q1 data and the registrations to date that he can track.

What if firing the Supercharger team is similar to to firing the Starlink team a couple of years ago:

LOL. Definitely not the same thing. He dismissed some managers, not the entire team.

So please find a better example. If he let go of the entire supercharger team, is there a historical example in Musk companies of that team being rebuilt?

Why 500 person supercharger team let go? Seems the Exec didn't meet Elon's standards for layoffs / cost reductions, so Elon took the matter into his own hands.
Will the super charger team be rehired in a lower cost geo? Cal -> Austin -> China?
Guessing the new team of 100 or so will be expected to do what the previous 500 were doing.
Smart move? Will Wiferion be in charge of super chargers?

The bolded part is a strong statement to make. Conventional L2 systems are pretty good at reacting to frontal collisions, detecting cross traffic. What they can't do is take evasive maneuvers, but statistically you end up with just a few cases over an impressive number of miles driven. Don't want to discount those situations, every life is important, but people seem to discard those situations as "it will never happen to me".
This is false. On 3 occasions my Tesla (MX 2016 with Autopilot and 2021 with FSD) took evasive actions that prevented either broadside collision or sideswiping.

Because I think the only timeline that matters from a financial perspective is the one for widespread L4 deployment. And although V12 is certainly a step forward, the timeline for widespread L4 deployment is certainly greater than 3 years out.
Widespread deployment is unnecessary to improve fundamentals. Tesla will likely prove the system, much like Waymo does, in a geofenced area with remote drivers that can intervene when necessary. The difference is, Tesla's system costs a fraction of Waymo's ~$150k pricetag per vehicle. Tesla's solution is then easily scalable, whereas Waymo is not.

Last edited:
There are aprox 200k gas station in US, if each/most gets a 4Stall Supercharger it takes care of all the perceived range anxiety in people, and robotaxi fleet will use them also.
In 2019, I charged at a 4-stall at a gas station while on my road trip to Fremont. It worked well.

The *absolute* best part of charging there? I happily used their WINDSHIELD SCRUBBER! Those frequently needed tools are conspicuously absent from most SuCs.

I already got a call back after I registered earlier today, they just wanted to know on which day I was coming and at what approximate time.
They also 'sold' me a Highland test drive in the process so I can compare to my 2019 Model 3 LR :).

Thanks for this info. I have not yet gotten such a call.

I do understand that the Cybertruck events are for getting potential buyers in for the rest of the models. And they know that I have already test driven all the car models available to buy. :D Several times even for some of them...

So if they can't accept all applicants they would be wise to drop me. 😬😞

What if firing the Supercharger team is similar to to firing the Starlink team a couple of years ago:

Except it was in 2018 and a few managers were fired.

The disparity between what actually happened with Starlink and
Only two years later Starlink not only has a global constellation of 6000 satellites but millions of subscribers in dozens of countries.

makes your cited post's argument invalid and trollish as hell.

It will become clear but my guess is it's just not needed anymore as the roll out slows down

That's probably close to my hot take too, without prejudging the situation. I will note, however, that the Hawthorne design studio was also affected with large staff cuts. I just likely means that most of the work that Tesla plans to do in new vehicle design is already done.

With respect to the supercharger network, v4 and megacharger are ready to go but not yet rolled out. Likely, the engineering work is done by now and it's just the manufacturing and deployment that remain.

Here's the full text in case you can't get to the post/tweet. I agree, this is the most logical reason:

Pfff, Elon bad. Fired the whole Supercharger team from top to bottom. End of the world.Unless…Let’s remember what happened in June, 2022 at SpaceX and what happened after. On that bloody day…Elon Musk dismissed several top managers of the Starlink project at SpaceX. Among those fired were Jonathan Hofeller, who had been leading the global connectivity efforts for Starlink, and Rajeev Badyal, the technical chief of Starlink, as well as the technical director of spacecraft. Musk's reason for the dismissals was his dissatisfaction with the pace of development of the Starlink satellites, particularly with the technological advancements that would allow for a broader and more efficient deployment of the service.In short, the team assured him that no global constellation was possible within five years. That was a big mistake to tell!Only two years later Starlink not only has a global constellation of 6000 satellites but millions of subscribers in dozens of countries.All this magic happened under a new team. The end of the world turned out to be a little bit exaggerated.Now what’s wrong with Tesla Superchargers? Among other things the growing of the network is unbearably slow in many places.I remember well that at the beginning of 2023 we were invited by Tesla to vote for new Supercharger locations worldwide. It was more than a year ago and our local winner place is still an empty parking lot in Pécs.Elon is right: this is unacceptable. And his proven management style is this: fire those who had already done the maximum they could, and give the task to new players.Now we just sit back, relax and watch the miracle unfold.
Yes. I got an email saying one of the places I voted for had won, but no sign of anything yet.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Funny, yesterday as I had just parked my Model 3 at a supermarket, a pickup driver asked, "Where is the nearest gas station?" I pointed at my Tesla and responded, "I don't know; I never use them." He smiled.

I personally find all of these posts about road charging amusing. I've owned my Tesla for over 2 years and have never charged outside of my home garage. Can anyone else here claim the same?

EDIT: I should add that my quite young solar powered town has no gas stations. Every home garage comes with a level 2 electrical outlet for charging an EV. I've now looked at Google Maps, and to get to a gas station we'd have to leave the town and drive a bit along an adjacent highway.
Denise has never charged her Leaf away from home. (I'm not sure she knows how). However, the Tesla is used for many trips so many Supercharger charges.

Except it was in 2018 and a few managers were fired.

The disparity between what actually happened with Starlink and

makes your cited post's argument invalid and trollish as hell.
Elon from his original letter mentioned duplicate roles due to the recent growth. So this "entire supercharger team" is most likely incorrect.