Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, someone needs to slap some sense in me; give it to me straight, Will Smith-style:

How is dissolving 500 people from the Supercharger team any good? Are we talking about relocation? This is bizar.
1714509783229.png

He didn't say there wouldn't be new locations, just that the new location pace would be slower than it has been recently. (And hopefully more targeted to where it is needed.)
I know :) We don't know what "slower" means. Now if this means Elon is moving focus/funds to help install L2 or something in between that and a Supercharger for apartment complexes, bring it on! I am tired of that complaint.

From Seeking Alpha:

<Rebecca Tinucci, senior director of Tesla's (TSLA) Supercharger business, and Daniel Ho, director of vehicle programs and new product initiatives, will leave the company.

In an email sent by Musk to senior executives, the billionaire said he would lay off all staff working for Tinucci and Ho, including around 500 workers in the Supercharger team.>

The entire team in charge of new products is gone also? A week after EM committed to new vehicles?

From Seeking Alpha:

<Rebecca Tinucci, senior director of Tesla's (TSLA) Supercharger business, and Daniel Ho, director of vehicle programs and new product initiatives, will leave the company.

In an email sent by Musk to senior executives, the billionaire said he would lay off all staff working for Tinucci and Ho, including around 500 workers in the Supercharger team.>

The entire team in charge of new products is gone also? A week after EM committed to new vehicles?

The compact "next-gen" car is gone.

The next-gen thing is now the robotaxi.

The "new" vehicles built on the Model 3/Y platform are apparently just a slightly smaller SUV. Probably like the HRV to Honda's CRV for the Model Y.

Ford and GM need to pull their weight and fund the SuC buildout. They both have been out there seeding the 'EV is dead, consumers want hybrid' narrative. Since new SuC benefit all, they all need to pony up.
Also, 72kW chargers would be great for restuarants, grocery stores, malls, and other spots where you don't have to rush back to move your car bc SuC are too fast.

Starting to look like the strategy is to go all in on the RT, whilst cutting back everywhere else.

The risk is that the RT is not a success in time whilst the existing business does not generate enough revenue.

Whilst single-handedly keeping the US as a leader in space launches and kick starting the EV revolution, he was lucky in the past. (The last rocket worked for spacex. Last minute funding for tesla)

Since the purchase of Twitter I would say his luck has run out. Now the question is will this gamble pay off?

William Navarro Jameson
Strategic Charging Programs Lead at Tesla

2 Std.

Update: yes the whole charging team has been let go.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
People still don't understand Elon's management style and how good he understands what the company needs.

What if Exxon and Shell are going to partner up with Tesla and implement Superchargers at +50% of their locations in US/World?

It seems to me it's be fastest way and Elon is right, no need for 500ppl in the Supercharger team no matter what they did and their qualifications. It's now a problem of manufacture them and get them shipped. Plug and Play Superchargers, all with battery storage. Win-Win for everyone.
You're almost right. There's no need for those 500 people in the SC team. Eventually, Tesla will hire new people to replace those that were fired. And they will have entry level salaries. I've run across managers like Elon before. They demand x percent layoffs and when a unit head complains, the whole unit is disbanded and the responsibilities are given to some other unit.

I wouldn't worry too much about Tesla employees that are laid off. Golden parachutes tend to happen. It's a near certainty they got snagged very quickly, with many offers, and with lucrative offers at that.
Yeah, if you look at the linked in thread there are already people from other companies offering positions. Still don´t like the extreme way Elon treats people, basically like they were robots not human beings.