Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would dare to say this will be a cancelled feature and it's much easier to reinforce the tires and suspension vs trying to avoid potholes. Avoiding potholes will just introduce more noise into the system like more phantom braking due to a dark shadow. Anything can look like a pothole (ie manhole covers). I would say skip this for the purpose of robotaxis and those with thin racing tires should just deal with disengaging.
Air pressure and increased aspect ratio are the main pothole damage preventions. Reinforcing the tires will just reduce their maximum speed capability and reduce range.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Back on topic, all:

$25T TSLA? Well, I just multiplied {#shares held}x$178x44…

and: Yes. I approve. 😁
For those playing around with Google Sheets 😉, you can fetch the current Market cap using this formula & then use it to divide the future market cap to get the multiplier X current SP 😁

= GOOGLEFINANCE("TSLA","marketcap")

1718624226812.jpeg

All I know is that I am currently in Copenhagen and there are Teslas everywhere! I guess the alleged hatred for Tesla and Elon is primarily limited to the dark confines of on-line trolls.
I was there last summer. I noticed being surrounded by EVs of all types, more non-Teslas than Teslas. I wonder if that ratio has changed!
What blew me away was the prominent third party 350 kW chargers! I also theorize a populace educated enough on EVs that charger manufacturers would bother to put the kW rating in large numbers on the side of the chargers as marketing. Danes seem well advanced in their EV fu.

I was there last summer. I noticed being surrounded by EVs of all types, more non-Teslas than Teslas. I wonder if that ratio has changed!
What blew me away was the prominent third party 350 kW chargers! I also theorize a populace educated enough on EVs that charger manufacturers would bother to put the kW rating in large numbers on the side of the chargers as marketing. Danes seem well advanced in their EV fu.
I'm often in Copenhagen and I'd estimate that 50% of the cars are EV's of which 75% are Teslas... you see a lot of eTron's and ID's

It's actually a shock to see a non-EV, especially noisy ones, one would think they'll become socially unacceptable over time, like smoking and drink-driving

The bad news is that EV's no longer park for free in central Cph, and they have predatory private companies patrolling the streets looking to issue expensive parking fines. Ask me how I know...

Last edited:
Lack of pothole avoidance was my only complaint from my 1 month trial. I hope that's high on their list to resolve.
High on my list is the inability to recognize 40’ long yellow school busses with red or yellow flashing lights.

I looked at one HS near where I used to live in SF. It has less than 400 enrollment. A nearby school for me now has north of 2500 enrolled. School busses are far from a rare encounter yet no recognition so far.

12.4 rollout has been slowed enough to assure school is out = no busses for testing. Potholes have no calendar so might work on that in the interim.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Probably a 0.001% chance of any truth to this, but there's a part of my brain that wonders if the Biden/Elon conflict was planned in some way...Biden keeps the unions happy by not publicly loving Tesla, and Tesla still gets benefits from legislation (that the other companies could benefit from too if they'd work harder on the EV transition).

As for 100 IQ...you left off the best part! I think George Carlin put it best: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
That conflict exists almost entirely in Elon's head. Biden came up when Detroit was the only game in town and unions ruled the industry there. So when he thinks "auto industry" the only things that really come to mind are Ford, GM and Chrysler and he just can't move past that. Mired in old thinking. That said he's done nothing major to undermine Tesla and quite a bit that has boosted our bottom line by billions.
This "conflict" has been magnified by the incessant need of influencers and low-grade youtube / X media to find something new every five minutes to manufacture outrage over. Else they don't get paid.

Last edited:
I'm often in Copenhagen and I'd estimate that 50% of the cars are EV's of which 75% are Teslas... you see a lot of eTron's and ID's

It's actually a shock to see a non-EV, especially noisy ones, one would think they'll become socially unacceptable over time, like smoking and drink-driving

The bad news is that EV's no longer park for free in central Cph, and they have predatory private companies patrolling the streets looking to issue expensive parking fines. Ask me how I know...
If FSD becomes reality, parking could perhaps quickly change. No need to park any car on city streets anymore, the cars could just drive themselves to the nearest garage. Drop-on drop-off zones should be enough. Looking forward to that happening since it should make our cities even more beautiful and peaceful.

Can you please work out the logistics of being able to be "last out" without share price being at zero?
It just means you hold until death. Or donate to charity when you're 90, like Warren Buffett. He literally went down to the bank and got his Berkshire Hathaway share certificate out of his safe deposit box, where it had sat untouched for 50+ years.

If FSD becomes reality, parking could perhaps quickly change. No need to park any car on city streets anymore, the cars could just drive themselves to the nearest garage. Drop-on drop-off zones should be enough. Looking forward to that happening since it should make our cities even more beautiful and peaceful.

At first glance, this sounds true, but if you step back and think about how in most heavy city/traffic environments, parking is not cheap so driving to a paid garage to park is not cost effective. In non-city environments, this can work in some a strip mall, but I doubt mall owners would allow this if they see hundreds of empty Tesla's in their parking lot.

Think SF or NY where parking can run a few hundred a month. No RT is going to pay $20+ to park waiting for the next ride. You can drive around or leave the city limits, but that's a waste of energy.

Quite hilarious anyone is taking that valuation seriously.

Just over 1bn new smartphones are sold each year. The ASP is below $1,000. But the demand for a humanoid robot priced at ~$20k is...also going to be 1bn units/year?

Apple, which is essentially created the smartphone market and has the largest marketshare, has sold ~2.5bn iPhones since inception. And that's for a ~$1,000 product.

If the 500 mile range Semi is high nickel. the 300 mile version can be LFP.

A lower cost truck is probably more important that more range or more cargo capacity.

IMO there will be more 300 mile versions sold, because that range is adequate for many tasks.
Since there are major advances in battery technology happening now, or perhaps more accurately a growing succession of incremental materials development and use...skipping a discussion of those specific elements but thinking only of continuous improvements in cathode, anode, electrolyte and BMS composition there si improvement in every chemistry and now ones every year.

Thus, it seems to me unlikely that there is a static choice of chemistry, form factor and packaging for Semi, or for that matter, cars and stationary storage. That is the basis of my question. It seems unlikely that, despite history, LFP and NMC are insufficiently descriptive to imagine what will be a good choice in any given application more than about two years ahead. Just imagine all the work now underway to increase silicon content in anode while avoiding all the expansion and stability limitations previously encountered (remember the S90? All love researchers and producers ahem been reducing nickel content.

Without delving into even more detail it seems probably that by 2026 there will be major changes, resulting form a legion of tiny advances, perhaps, but the cumi=ulation will produce new and better solutions for Long Range high load highly durable batteries that probably will have the charging and discharging flexibility we tend to associate with LFP coupled with high discharge and charging rate advantages of NMC.

All of that is the basis of my question of why? I do not see the 2026 ideal suctions as being those of today, nor do I see 500 miles as anything like and end point. If for no other reason than Alice, Lilium etc the search for higher density (power and energy) will end out leading to better and even cheaper solutions.

Then, it is not even far-fetched, considering actual practical evolution of perovskite and others in solar panels:
We may not be too far away from being able to top semi-tractors and trailers with actually usable and practical solar power generation to produce longer ranges so batteries need not do the entire job.

We may be sure that Elon Musk and Tesla engineers are limiting their thinking to what is today without planning for the near future. After all Semi scaling must consider all those advances and more.

My real question is: why not plan for the future rather than the past.

My reasoning is based on my 2014 P85D range of 265 miles my 2022 S Plaid range of 396 miles in the same physical space. Has that rate of improvement suddenly stopped?

Since there are major advances in battery technology happening now, or perhaps more accurately a growing succession of incremental materials development and use...skipping a discussion of those specific elements but thinking only of continuous improvements in cathode, anode, electrolyte and BMS composition there si improvement in every chemistry and now ones every year.

Thus, it seems to me unlikely that there is a static choice of chemistry, form factor and packaging for Semi, or for that matter, cars and stationary storage. That is the basis of my question. It seems unlikely that, despite history, LFP and NMC are insufficiently descriptive to imagine what will be a good choice in any given application more than about two years ahead. Just imagine all the work now underway to increase silicon content in anode while avoiding all the expansion and stability limitations previously encountered (remember the S90? All love researchers and producers ahem been reducing nickel content.

Without delving into even more detail it seems probably that by 2026 there will be major changes, resulting form a legion of tiny advances, perhaps, but the cumi=ulation will produce new and better solutions for Long Range high load highly durable batteries that probably will have the charging and discharging flexibility we tend to associate with LFP coupled with high discharge and charging rate advantages of NMC.

All of that is the basis of my question of why? I do not see the 2026 ideal suctions as being those of today, nor do I see 500 miles as anything like and end point. If for no other reason than Alice, Lilium etc the search for higher density (power and energy) will end out leading to better and even cheaper solutions.

Then, it is not even far-fetched, considering actual practical evolution of perovskite and others in solar panels:
We may not be too far away from being able to top semi-tractors and trailers with actually usable and practical solar power generation to produce longer ranges so batteries need not do the entire job.

We may be sure that Elon Musk and Tesla engineers are limiting their thinking to what is today without planning for the near future. After all Semi scaling must consider all those advances and more.

My real question is: why not plan for the future rather than the past.

My reasoning is based on my 2014 P85D range of 265 miles my 2022 S Plaid range of 396 miles in the same physical space. Has that rate of improvement suddenly stopped?
It will likely take some real competition to push more range because right now those in charge think a 300 mile range is enough. (and it likely is on the coast where Superchargers are thick as thieves). It might also be if a 300 mile range was the range under real world conditions (85 mph speed limits, below zero weather, high winds, towing, etc.) 300 miles at 55 or 60 mph isn't enough for the central states and Canada.

As for 100 IQ...you left off the best part! I think George Carlin put it best: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
The real problem is that IQ measures doing well on tests, and not much more. Just look at the career success of Mensa members or, better yet, 999 society members. Both pretty much reflect test taking and not too much else.

What is unique about Tesla's really not how smart people are but how deeply committed the people are to the Tesla Mission. The same is true of SpaceX. Deep dedication and perhaps a little obsession to the mission coupled with excellent devotion to learning everything they can about their chosen subjects.

All that makes such people quite willing to sacrifice many pastimes to advance The Mission.
That also makes them pretty smart.

The real problem is that IQ measures doing well on tests, and not much more. Just look at the career success of Mensa members or, better yet, 999 society members. Both pretty much reflect test taking and not too much else.

What is unique about Tesla's really not how smart people are but how deeply committed the people are to the Tesla Mission. The same is true of SpaceX. Deep dedication and perhaps a little obsession to the mission coupled with excellent devotion to learning everything they can about their chosen subjects.

All that makes such people quite willing to sacrifice many pastimes to advance The Mission.
That also makes them pretty smart.
Agreed. Too much education is based on preparing for tests rather than thinking.

Reactions: EQC_ and Drax7
It will likely take some real competition to push more range because right now those in charge think a 300 mile range is enough. (and it likely is on the coast where Superchargers are thick as thieves). It might also be if a 300 mile range was the range under real world conditions (85 mph speed limits, below zero weather, high winds, towing, etc.) 300 miles at 55 or 60 mph isn't enough for the central states and Canada.
Until Australian Road trains are feasible with Tesla Semi or somebody else we really will not have good solutions for Over-The-Road long range use. Then BEV application can easily be used for TIR in Europe. Those are the ones that will prove the case globally. When that happens resistance will diminish. Charing infrastructure, for instance, will not be so important because it can be quite easily deployed in and around existing servicing locates for long distance hauling.

Right now there are really very good and practical short range Urban and Suburban delivery and servicing, plus switch years use on Ports and transshipment areas. Those are alley happening. Tesla is not even trying to do all that, but is going only after longer range applications. Competitors aren't the problem for growth. Battery and supporting technology are the impediment, nothing much else IMHO.

Reactions: AZRI11