Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you implying that there are non-union Tesla employees who have joined the strike? I find that challenging to believe.

If you are not implying this, then it must be 50% of union mechanics in all actuality.

Why not provide the actual number of mechanics who have joined the strike?

Providing this data would offer the ability to fact check the figure. Oh, that also explains why an unclear percentage is given, doesn't it?

50% of union mechanics at Tesla Sweden might be 2 employees. ;) This also raises the question as to why the other 50% of union mechanics did NOT join the strike. 🤔

Does what you write here make sense to you? It certainly doesn't to me. Others reading this thread can draw their own conclusions...

Reactions: navguy12
For someone who can read Swedish it's not the least bit "unclear". The union's paper clearly says that it is more than 50% of all the mechanics at Tesla in Sweden that currently are on strike.

But....given the percentage of Tesla employees who are in the union, wouldn't that mean non-union mechanics are striking? That doesn't make sense...🤔

I think it's more likely that 50% of union member mechanics are on strike, which would be a fairly small number, and would also mean half of the union mechanics have decided NOT to strike.

My feeling is IF Metal is deliberately being obtuse about the numbers because the actual number of people striking would make them look silly. Saying 50% sounds much more severe than saying ~15.

Here is what someone on X has found when trying to count Tesla workers that are striking:

BREAKING NEWS regarding the Tesla strike, 96% of Tesla workers are NOT on strike shows compilation.
@IFMetall refuses to comment on the data! Help and share!

Umeå 2
Stockholm 1
Örebro 0
Norrköping 1
Gothenburg 1
Malmö 0
Total: 5

5 out of 130, i.e. 4% strike, 96% don't strike!

It probably isn't 100% accurate, but it does fit with the more than 50% of the IF Metall members at Tesla are striking narrative. (So, there are around 10 union members. Which I think matches what has been shared elsewhere.)

Here is what someone on X has found when trying to count Tesla workers that are striking:

It probably isn't 100% accurate, but it does fit with the more than 50% of the IF Metall members at Tesla are striking narrative. (So, there are around 10 union members. Which I think matches what has been shared elsewhere.)
5 people in the company causing the mess of deliveries, repairs, etc.?!?!

Unreal. I’d want to pull a Reagan and fire them and hire replacements like he did in the 80’s for air traffic controllers. I realize the external entities would still strike but this truly is messed up next level.

Is it? I even said it probably isn't 100% correct. But it does closely match early information we saw in the press. As well as matching Tesla's statement of >90% of their employees still working.
I never suggested you suggested otherwise.

Your use of the X post includes the caveats you speak of; you never claimed it was “fact”.

——————————————

There are always two sides to any story and my opinion is that once all the dust is settled and after the inevitable solution to this situation is implemented, some time will have to pass to offer some historical perspective.

80 years ago, private “investigators“ were hired by Henry Ford to do some bidding for him and, IMO, ultimately weakened his grip on his workforce.

We may/may just be witnessing the reverse situation where the net result is the opposite of what occurred back in 1940s Detroit.

We are in the fog of war phase, and as everyone knows, the first casualty in a war is the truth.

Unreal. I’d want to pull a Reagan and fire them and hire replacements like he did in the 80’s for air traffic controllers. I realize the external entities would still strike but this truly is messed up next level.

Nah the best thing to do is to let the 5 of them keep striking. At some point everyone will know it is 5 employees protesting and get a good laugh out of the insanity of the misleading statements from the union.

The "mess of deliveries" seems to be that Tesla still is the market leader in EVs by quite a huge margin. 1236 new Model Y delivered in November. So apparently the blockage is not working very well.

Also the repair strike seems to hit mostly 3rd parties that do collision repairs and painting. I understand that Tesla service centers are working normally. In my opinion it's just a matter of time until Tesla moves all repairs "in house" in Sweden, no reason to give money to union-led subcontractors. Another "win" for the union?

The "mess of deliveries" seems to be that Tesla still is the market leader in EVs by quite a huge margin. 1236 new Model Y delivered in November. So apparently the blockage is not working very well.

Also the repair strike seems to hit mostly 3rd parties that do collision repairs and painting. I understand that Tesla service centers are working normally. In my opinion it's just a matter of time until Tesla moves all repairs "in house" in Sweden, no reason to give money to union-led subcontractors. Another "win" for the union?
Yes Tesla has navigated this very well so far but still required a lot of extra work.

Reactions: navguy12
Zeebrugge is not that far.. its where they unload most cars anyway

Yes it actually came by surprise to me that they actually were shipping cars from Zeebrugge to Sweden in the first place. Apparently it must be cheaper to ship than driving them in a car transport truck.

It is about 1000km to Malmö, though. But then again transport inside Sweden can be almost same amount anyway, even if you do the first part with a ship.

And when starting from Zeebrugge, you can use some Belgian transport company which has no affiliation with Swedish mafia unions. Another "victory" for IF Metall..