Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest attempt by IF Metall to remain relevant.

I have doubts that this will be attractive to Tesla. Particularly considering how few of their mechanics have any desire for the union or collective agreement.

The only ones who benefit would be IF Metall, and nothing has been presented by them to demonstrate how Tesla Sweden would benefit from the arrangement.

Simple questions like...
Does data exist to support how other businesses with collective agreements have seen:
  • improved productivity
  • increased morale
  • improved safety history
  • cross-training flexibility
  • efficiency improvements
  • improved employee/employer relationships
  • higher wages
Essentially asking, would forming a parasitic relationship with the union be symbiotic or destructive for the host business?

Last edited:
The latest attempt by IF Metall to remain relevant.

I have doubts that this will be attractive to Tesla. Particularly considering how few of their mechanics have any desire for the union or collective agreement.

Yeah, IF Metall telling Tesla who they have to hire/what role of employee they have to hire and that that person has to be part of a particular union - hmmm, probably not going to fly.

P.S. Via l’Americana Tesla, rah, rah!!

So long as this thread is pretty much about the strike in Sweden, I think that it would be much more useful if Americans who are ignorant of European culture, law, and norms simply stop posting anything other than simple questions. The opinions expressed in such posts are worthless.

"Rah, rah America" and "why isn't Europe more like America" stuff is completely useless in understanding what's going on and how it can best be resolved.
DAMN RIGHT!

eagle salute.gif

Really good recap in the comments of the teslarati article:

This compromise seems unreasonable. By outsourcing its entire service operations in Sweden, Tesla shall:

1. put aside one of its strategic guidelines (no middleman between the company and its customers)

2. throw under the bus those employees who are not interested in a collective agreement.

It seems like IF Metall's plans for the next sympathy action is to make tire and towing companies stop servicing Tesla vehicles.

If that is true, it seems really ridiculous that they plan to make it so if your Tesla is broken down, maybe from a collision, that you can't hire a tow company to move it. It can't be true can it?

It seems like they can't find anything to go directly after Tesla Sweden, so they are going after Tesla owners instead.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: GSP and Krugerrand
It seems like IF Metall's plans for the next sympathy action is to make tire and towing companies stop servicing Tesla vehicles.

If that is true, it seems really ridiculous that they plan to make it so if your Tesla is broken down, maybe from a collision, that you can't hire a tow company to move it. It can't be true can it?

It seems like they can't find anything to go directly after Tesla Sweden, so they are going after Tesla owners instead.
Sweden is insignificant. Even all the Nordic countries put together add relatively nothing that can't be recouped elsewhere with similar resources. IMHO, I see little financial reason to stay and put up with this annoyance much longer

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and Krugerrand
Exactly - seems like they've decided to target Tesla owners, with Tesla as a by-product. To the degree that other companies recognize this, it seems like they would be even more worried about doing business in Sweden.

Instituting a sympathy strike via tow companies seems like an active hazard to all of society. Do the tow companies refuse to move a Tesla vehicle out of traffic that breaks down?

If you read the original text, behind paywall but here is a screenshot:
IMAGE 2024-01-06 08:58:29.jpg

They say they want to avoid the strike targeting individual persons, this one sentence after having said that they will target tire workshops and towing companies. Imo they just haven't thought through what they are doing and the consequences of that. They argue first and think later.

If they're suddenly suggesting compromises, to me that means they're getting closer to capitulation :D
But what they offered isn't a compromise for them. It would mean Tesla firing all of their service center staff and outsourcing it to a union shop. (Which would probably end up costing Tesla more even though the union shops pay their employees less.) It would, also, open the doors for requiring Tesla to allow non-Tesla employees access to all of their internal procedures/tools/IP.

In other words, it is never going to happen, it is just something to make it look like the union is being a good guy and offering a compromise.

But what they offered isn't a compromise for them. It would mean Tesla firing all of their service center staff and outsourcing it to a union shop. (Which would probably end up costing Tesla more even though the union shops pay their employees less.) It would, also, open the doors for requiring Tesla to allow non-Tesla employees access to all of their internal procedures/tools/IP.

In other words, it is never going to happen, it is just something to make it look like the union is being a good guy and offering a compromise.
Sure, but they've offered anything different, while Tesla hasn't budged. I think I know which one is more desperate.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them start throwing different self serving things at the wall hopping one sticks.

Sure, but they've offered anything different, while Tesla hasn't budged. I think I know which one is more desperate.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them start throwing different self serving things at the wall hopping one sticks.
I'm presuming that was meant to be "they haven't" in the first sentence and "hopping" was supposed to be "hoping" toward the end, and if so I concur. Desperation is setting in.

Yeah, IF Metall labeling that offer as a "compromise" when they haven't compromised on a single thing is disingenuous at best and a blatant lie at worse. Are they so out of touch with things that they actually believe what they spew?

One comes to a compromise by making concessions. I don't see any concession in this, much less any practical reason to show interest in a scheme that seems most likely to bring damage to both a business and its employees over time.

Or, is this just an example of years of conditioning under the assumption that every aspect of their mission is righteous, to the point that what is clearly seen as propaganda by others is merely gospel to them?

The only constant in this onslaught from IF Metall is their ongoing assumption that they are doing good, despite the total absence of evidence to support anything other than the irrelevancy of riding their horse at a brisk gallop, with bags over the heads of both horse and rider.

Giddy-up!

🍿

Last edited:
I'm presuming that was meant to be "they haven't" in the first sentence and "hopping" was supposed to be "hoping" toward the end, and if so I concur. Desperation is setting in.

Yeah, IF Metall labeling that offer as a "compromise" when they haven't compromised on a single thing is disingenuous at best and a blatant lie at worse. Are they so out of touch with things that they actually believe what they spew?

One comes to a compromise by making concessions. I don't see any concession in this, much less any practical reason to show interest in a scheme that seems most likely to bring damage to both a business and its employees over time.

Or, is this just an example of years of conditioning under the assumption that every aspect of their mission is righteous, to the point that what is clearly seen as propaganda by others is merely gospel to them?

The only constant in this onslaught from IF Metall is their ongoing assumption that they are doing good, despite the total absence of evidence to support anything other than the irrelevancy of riding their horse at a brisk gallop, with bags over the heads of both horse and rider.

Giddy-up!

🍿
Correct on the 'hopping' typo, the danger of replying from my phone.

What I meant by "but they've offered anything different" was that IF Metall has tried something different, even if it's still self serving and bad for Tesla if they actually accepted it, versus Tesla stone walling them still.

The fact that IF Metall offered the poisoned pill of an "compromise" means they can see the original strategy isn't working, and they will start trying other things in hopes of looking like a winner at the end. Sucks to be them, Tesla won't change their stance as long as they're not legally required to, so IF Metall can only lose (along with the rest of the country as their actions impact everyone but Tesla disproportionately). Even if they manage the Pyrrhic victory of forcing Tesla out of Sweden somehow - Tesla isn't really the loser as they are still not demand constrained and Sweden isn't the largest market around, it's the Swedish public who loses.

Even if the "compromise" isn't one, the fact they're (IF Metall) trying to come up with a new angle is still a compromise of a sort, as they're the one dancing around expending effort to cause some kind of change in the situation, while Tesla remains the unmovable mountain. They blinked first, they've already lost.

I guess Tesla will have to use a few CTs and start a towing company. 👍