Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unlocks V2 Supercharger 145 kW Rate Via New Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
It’s not V3, but still, V2 has a huge advantage and it’s rolling out via a software update. Tesla is now applying its innovative over-the-air software update ability to enable 145 kW-charging for the Model 3. We’re looking at an increase in charging rate of upwards of some 20 percent. Keep in mind, this is...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/25/tesla-unlocks-v2-supercharger-145-kw-rate/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Reactions: is2scooby
I briefly saw 121 kW Sunday night at Centralia (but didn't think much of it other than that I've never seen > 119 kW in any of my supercharger sessions on S or 3).

Perhaps I missed it in my skimming... The update they are talking about -- is it to the cars or the superchargers stalls themselves?

For many road trip routes it is 20% less charging time assuming you're not sharing.
I agree if most people charge in the range of about 20% to 80%. BUT, the car will charge at various amounts of current depending on a lot of factors and you probably know that. Once the car gets to a majority rate of charge, the car is going to lower the current well below that value. Then there is battery temp, etc. Still, always nice to see any improvement in charge time.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I agree if most people charge in the range of about 20% to 80%. BUT, the car will charge at various amounts of current depending on a lot of factors and you probably know that. Once the car gets to a majority rate of charge, the car is going to lower the current well below that value. Then there is battery temp, etc. Still, always nice to see any improvement in charge time.
If you're trying to get from point A to point B as fast as possible you can do 10% to 60% for most routes in CA. Of course my experience is that there is often a line at the supercharger...

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
All the superchargers around here seem to be listed as "up to 120kW" or "up to 72kW". For example, the one that just opened in Parsippany NJ is listed as "up to 120kW" on the Tesla website.

Are the "up to 120kW" superchargers going to get a software update so they can deliver 145kW, or do they need to be replaced?

If a supercharger can deliver 145kW, does that mean it will deliver 145kW across two cars when paired? That would be a big improvement in throughput (20% more power) at busy supercharger locations.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
All the superchargers around here seem to be listed as "up to 120kW" or "up to 72kW". For example, the one that just opened in Parsippany NJ is listed as "up to 120kW" on the Tesla website.

Are the "up to 120kW" superchargers going to get a software update so they can deliver 145kW, or do they need to be replaced?

If a supercharger can deliver 145kW, does that mean it will deliver 145kW across two cars when paired? That would be a big improvement in throughput (20% more power) at busy supercharger locations.
Superchargers already deliver 145kW across two paired cars so it might not help that much at congested superchargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
All the "early" discussions on supercharger pairing were about sharing 120kW across two stalls, but sounds like they are now delivering 145kW shared across the pair.

It will be interesting to see if Tesla updates the "find us" and nav to show "up to 145kW".

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc