Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So did you have an AP1 car before that you are comparing AP2 to? We drive AP1 and AP2.5 daily. I have to admit that our AP2.5 hasn’t had the Nav on AP W/O Confirmation update yet (it does have Nav on AP), our last update was over 2 weeks ago and it wasn’t available then. When going from one car to another AP2 is a bit of a letdown. One way is when traveling down the highway and the speed limit drops in a constuction zone, AP1 can see the speed limit signs (Mobileye has the patent) and will adjust your speed automatically, AP2 is totally oblivious to speed limit signs and will make no speed adjustment. AP2 still gets confused when the right lane gets wider and an exit lane starts, in that situation AP1 will maintain the same distance from the left side lane marker and handles those situations easily. AP2 is fine as long as Tesla eventually can work on its problems but my point is it is not really any step up from AP1 and a buyer of a used car on a budget is getting a bargain if getting AP1 at any discount.
As my original post stated I can't say if AP2 without no confirmation is better or not than AP1. I do know that I read complaints on here about AP2 that I've never encountered.

Both TACC and AP adjust for speed. Works the same as my Garmin GPS did, reads them from a GPS connected database. Not 100% but pretty darn good. Infact autosteer or auto pilot when not using NoA restricts you to 5mph over posted speed. Frustrating sometimes.
I agree AP1 is an excellent system. My issue is it is what it is and is going to stay where it is. AP2 has improved performance and functions several times since I bought the car last November.

As my original post stated I can't say if AP2 without no confirmation is better or not than AP1. I do know that I read complaints on here about AP2 that I've never encountered.

Both TACC and AP adjust for speed. Works the same as my Garmin GPS did, reads them from a GPS connected database. Not 100% but pretty darn good. Infact autosteer or auto pilot when not using NoA restricts you to 5mph over posted speed. Frustrating sometimes.
I agree AP1 is an excellent system. My issue is it is what it is and is going to stay where it is. AP2 has improved performance and functions several times since I bought the car last November.
The amount over the posted speed can be adjusted in settings. I agree it’s not 100% with the speed limits signs it just bothers me how often it is off, probably because I’m used to it working 100%. They will probably get it worked out someday, my point is I don't keep cars forever and I’ll have replaced it by that time so it will not matter.

The amount over the posted speed can be adjusted in settings. I agree it’s not 100% with the speed limits signs it just bothers me how often it is off, probably because I’m used to it working 100%. They will probably get it worked out someday, my point is I don't keep cars forever and I’ll have replaced it by that time so it will not matter.
No you can't adjust. Not for auto pilot when not in NoA. You can't even step on the gas, umm go, pedal. Car will not go over 45 when posted speed is 40 unless you turn of AP.

The OP was about if AP2 was worth extra investment over AP1 on used S. It was for me. I don't plan keeping this car until Tesla or someone else produces a car that provides a compelling reason for me to upgrade. FSD that will take me from A to B without nags would do it. I don't think that's going to happen with AP2 hardware for driving on city streets. Maybe on the S with AP3 HW. But if the interior is 3ish that's probably a deal breaker. And it's likely to take a year or two to get it right after they do deliver. That being said, at my age, this could very well be my last car.

Last edited:
Great price. Looks like it’s the first time a facelift car of any kind has broken $40k. It was snapped up as soon as it was listed. Interesting that they didn’t start the listing higher.

I wonder if this is the start of a trend trying to clear out newly listed used inventory (especially higher mileage stock). I’m used to them listing a car for much more than it seems it should be and then letting it float down. I feel that the car I just bought was initially listed at a lower price than is typical for that build as well: My Unicorn came along - Pulled the trigger on used P85D!

No you can't adjust. Not for auto pilot when not in NoA. You can't even step on the gas, umm go, pedal. Car will not go over 45 when posted speed is 40 unless you turn of AP.

The OP was about if AP2 was worth extra investment over AP1 on used S. It was for me. I don't plan keeping this car until Tesla or someone else produces a car that provides a compelling reason for me to upgrade. FSD that will take me from A to B without nags would do it. I don't think that's going to happen with AP2 hardware for driving on city streets. Maybe on the S with AP3 HW. But if the interior is 3ish that's probably a deal breaker. And it's likely to take a year or two to get it right after they do deliver. That being said, at my age, this could very well be my last car.
I have no idea what you are talking about and I don’t believe you do either. You can always accelerate by stepping on the throttle whether AP is on or off.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh
For what it’s worth, I’ve found that these photos usually have decent detail when viewed on a desktop/laptop, and terrible abysmal thumbnail quality when viewed on a mobile device like phone or tablet. No idea why that would be the case. I had to go over the pictures for the car I just bought on my big work computer - pics on the iPad were too grainy and blurry, no matter what I did.

So did you have an AP1 car before that you are comparing AP2 to? We drive AP1 and AP2.5 daily. I have to admit that our AP2.5 hasn’t had the Nav on AP W/O Confirmation update yet (it does have Nav on AP), our last update was over 2 weeks ago and it wasn’t available then. When going from one car to another AP2 is a bit of a letdown. One way is when traveling down the highway and the speed limit drops in a constuction zone, AP1 can see the speed limit signs (Mobileye has the patent) and will adjust your speed automatically, AP2 is totally oblivious to speed limit signs and will make no speed adjustment. AP2 still gets confused when the right lane gets wider and an exit lane starts, in that situation AP1 will maintain the same distance from the left side lane marker and handles those situations easily. AP2 is fine as long as Tesla eventually can work on its problems but my point is it is not really any step up from AP1 and a buyer of a used car on a budget is getting a bargain if getting AP1 at any discount.

I keep debating between AP1 and AP2+ as I am in the market for a Model S in a few months. With AP2+ you have the potential to utilize advanced summon (I've only ever seen Model 3 videos) and upgrade to FSD. With AP1, you don't. Debating how far we are from FSD or the Model S refresh. Hoping my purchase comes right after refresh is announced.

I have no idea what you are talking about and I don’t believe you do either. You can always accelerate by stepping on the throttle whether AP is on or off.
Sunshine you are correct. You have no idea. I drive my car everyday and you have never driven it. You make statements based on ignorance while mine are based on real world experience and supported by documentation.

Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed. The maximum allowed cruising speed on such roads is calculated based on the detected speed limit including a Speed Assist offset of up to +5 mph (10 km/h). Any Speed Assist offset above +5 mph (10 km/h) is rounded down to +5 mph (10 km/h). However, you can select a more restrictive cruising speed by reducing the speed limit.

Pressing the accelerator pedal(a Tesla doesn't have a throttle) doesn't increase speed and causes a message to be displayed on the instrument cluster stating speed is restricted by Auto steer.
Now where did I put that lotion. Everybody knows too much Sunshine causes skin cancer.

Sunshine you are correct. You have no idea. I drive my car everyday and you have never driven it. You make statements based on ignorance while mine are based on real world experience and supported by documentation.

Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed. The maximum allowed cruising speed on such roads is calculated based on the detected speed limit including a Speed Assist offset of up to +5 mph (10 km/h). Any Speed Assist offset above +5 mph (10 km/h) is rounded down to +5 mph (10 km/h). However, you can select a more restrictive cruising speed by reducing the speed limit.

Pressing the accelerator pedal(a Tesla doesn't have a throttle) doesn't increase speed and causes a message to be displayed on the instrument cluster stating speed is restricted by Auto steer.
Now where did I put that lotion. Everybody knows too much Sunshine causes skin cancer.

Ok I'm going to at least take a bite of humble pie and issue a partial apology to Sunshine. Both the AP stalk an accelerater pedal issue the speed limited message and the stalk will not increase speed BUT the pedal will, for as long as it's pressed anyway. As soon as you let off the pedal speed limit reverts to 5 over posted limit.

I'm sticking by the too much Sunshine statement.

I keep debating between AP1 and AP2+ as I am in the market for a Model S in a few months. With AP2+ you have the potential to utilize advanced summon (I've only ever seen Model 3 videos) and upgrade to FSD. With AP1, you don't. Debating how far we are from FSD or the Model S refresh. Hoping my purchase comes right after refresh is announced.

Tomorrow is a big day for answers but if I had to guess the refresh announcement and release is likely to come in July after the 2nd quarter push. You don’t want to kill sales this quarter by announcing its coming and need something to fill the sales void left by the reduced tax incentive. Perfect time to put the focus on a sexy new car instead of poor sales.

Ok I'm going to at least take a bite of humble pie and issue a partial apology to Sunshine. Both the AP stalk an accelerater pedal issue the speed limited message and the stalk will not increase speed BUT the pedal will, for as long as it's pressed anyway. As soon as you let off the pedal speed limit reverts to 5 over posted limit.

I'm sticking by the too much Sunshine statement.
I realize as you say I have never driven your car, you may have some custom aftermarket software installed, but that’s unlikely. If you don’t then you have no clue as to what you are talking about, anyone with common sense would see that also. I told you the mph offset is adjustable and you claim I’m ignorant and you have documentation and real world experience. There are always people behind the wheel who should be a passenger instead, you are proof. You demonstrate that lack of knowledge clearly in your stupid opinions about cancer that affects millions of people. As for your misuse of lotion, your personal habits are of little interest.

Last edited:
And just like that in one night over 100 cars disappeared. Assuming they were sent off to auction after not selling for a few days
I just searched nationwide and currently Tesla has 23 Teslas scheduled for auction. If you had a couple Tesla vins that disappeared I could tell you if they are actually going to auction. I wouldn’t say this is a big influx because Tesla always has a small number like this going to auction. To put that small number into perspective there are currently 125,789 cars scheduled for auction in the next week or so.

Last edited:
I just searched nationwide and currently Tesla has 23 Teslas scheduled for auction. If you had a couple Tesla vins that disappeared I could tell you if they are actually going to auction. I wouldn’t say this is a big influx because Tesla always has a small number like this going to auction. To put that small number into perspective there are currently 125,789 cars scheduled for auction in the next week or so.
So what is your hunch of what's going on?

I have been watching the EV-CPO Model S for the past few months and was not online all weekend and was shocked to see it down to 500 US cars. The model S has been in a steady decline. I did not write down or memorize the total when I was looking but it was in the 900s if memory serves me right.