Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been watching the Model S used cars on Tesla's site for a few months and could rarely find a facelift model. In the past day or two, I have seen quite a few now on the used inventory list. I am not sure why the number of available cars has dropped (perhaps to create low supply and move old inventory), but I am glad to see the facelifts showing up as their 3 year leases are ending (think April 2016 was when the facelift came out). My pure guess is that as these facelift models hit the used market, the original nosecone cars are going to have to drop in price as the newer facelift is going to be more desired so they were trying to control supply before the facelift models hit the used market.

Exactly. Besides clearing out old inventory of the old nosecone, I think they're trying to sell off less desirable facelifts (color, fabric seats, etc). My used car advisor tells me that cars are lasting for only a few minutes on the site which I believe is BS. There is no way Tesla sold 60-80 cars while I slept for 6 hours.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and Zishan
It seems to me that the quantity of cars listed has returned to normal. The old Model S's I tend to look at seem to have stopped the auto adjust on the prices. Could be just the cars I look at, not all of them, I don't know.

I bought one during the low period and still feel like I got a reasonable deal.

The price they offered me on my sub 100k P85+ was so painful I am disposing of it via another dealer. Worse still I got an initial quote from them before I placed the order, then the official quote was 3500 less. I had already planned to run it elsewhere anyway before that, but if I hadn't I would have been unhappy.

Happy hunting

Very informative thread. I was thinking of grabbing a second car, but now all the cheap examples with auto pilot are 5k higher!
I got a late 2014 s60 with ap1, smart suspension and panoramic roof for only $31.5! That was two weeks ago and there were some decent choices that would drop to 33-34 range and even some 2015 70d w autopilot for 36.5. Now, not much close to those numbers. Do you guys think at the end of the quarter some more inventory will be price cut?

Yes, for two reasons:
1) Tesla wants to make quarterly numbers good. Sitting on unsold inventory doesn’t help their numbers.
2) Because Tesla has often (always?) in the past had a big push of deliveries late in each quarter that’s also when a lot of leases end and cars come back. Hence, a double whammy of more cars in inventory at end of quarter and Tesla incentive to look good to Wall St means end of quarter is the time when you’re most likely to get a good deal from Tesla or any other car dealer.

I really want a facelift model and they are popping up here and there. Those leases are coming in and I think (as someone mentioned earlier in the thread) that they are trying to push the old nosecone models before putting all the facelift models out there. Once the facelifts are there, the old nosecone prices are going to go down.

Wow, down to 261 now from a high I remember of 1200-1300 just over a month ago. Something’s happening for sure. Interesting that the average price has stayed remarkably stable at around $47-48k during this whole time.

Not to mention it all looks like stale inventory now. Only 25 facelift cars available, most of which are just sitting around and lacking upgrades such as Next Gen seats, PUP, etc. It's almost as if they don't even want to introduce new inventory until these sell.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
@Bruin21 I agree about the stale cars. There is a P85+ with no AP that has been on there for weeks. Any of the facelift cars are mostly 70's. I think you are right. They are trying to unload the old inventory in combination with the fact that the facelifts came out in April 2016 (not sure when in April) so those leases are just starting to roll in. At some point they are going to need to start unloading the lease returns.

I am patient and in no rush to buy their old inventory.