Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used (NOT CPO) taking a HUGE step back (bye-bye pictures).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there was an example a few posts back, you can5 see them on Teslas website but they still seem to be taking them. It’s as if the Tesla website has a bug but the 3rd party sites are getting hold of the links somehow
You can see photos on 3rd party sites because those sites saved the photos from when it was originally posted on teslas site

Wow, you are correct. The used car listing on Tesla.com no longer show the actual images. This is a sad step in the wrong direction.

But for a short time anyway, you can still access the stored images for any currently listed car by using EV-CPO and clicking on the red link under the "Color" column (see below).

Or using this URL with the VIN appended at the end: https://backwebs.homenetinc.com/tesla/details/@/<vin>

I suspect this will stop working soon. :(

View attachment 584539

there was an example a few posts back, you can5 see them on Teslas website but they still seem to be taking them. It’s as if the Tesla website has a bug but the 3rd party sites are getting hold of the links somehow

You think Tesla will let 3rd party sites see photos while their own customers will not be able to do this?

Most likely the photos will all be gone from the 3rd party sites soon.

Reactions: AMPd
I think I may have worked out what's going on. Take this car

2017 Model S | Tesla

After a bit of super sluthing, this is the embedded data for that car on the Tesla detail page around the VIN found by simply right clicking and doing a view source

"UsedVehiclePhotosCompletedDate": "2020-09-13T05:00:00Z",
"VIN": "5YJSA1E20HF200010",
"Variant": null,
"VehicleHistory": "CLEAN",
"VehicleRegion": "CA",
"VehicleStatusDisplay": "In-garage delivered",
"VehicleSubType": null,
"VehicleType": "INVENTORY",

Note:There is an element called UsedVehiclePhotosCompleteData that is populated and only a week ago and some time after this thread started,

If I look at the top level listings page its much harder to find the equivalent data as you have to find "inventory-results" content using the browser inspect and the data looks near identical around the VIN except it include extra data

"UsedVehiclePhotosCompletedDate": "2020-09-13T05:00:00Z",
"VIN": "5YJSA1E20HF200010",
"Variant": null,
"VehicleHistory": "CLEAN",
"VehiclePhotos": [
{
"height": 0,
"imageUrl": "https://inventory-assets.tesla.com/...on/image/c61f66d8-395f-43e5-9b72-a60377896ebd",
"photoType": null,
"pictureType": "Front Full View",
"width": 0
},
### SNIP ###
{
"height": 0,
"imageUrl": "https://inventory-assets.tesla.com/...on/image/68094337-0b4c-4616-8606-dd95ec352b2f",
"photoType": null,
"pictureType": "Front Interior View From Passenger Side",
"width": 0
}
],
"VehicleRegion": "CA",
"VehicleStatusDisplay": "In-garage delivered",
"VehicleSubType": null,
"VehicleType": "INVENTORY",

In this data there is an extra bit of content called "VehiclePhotos" which lists all the images.

Whether it is by design or mistake, it looks like the photos are still being taken (as this particular car had them taken in the last week) but the data is not passed to the individual car page to display them on the Tesla website. I can only think that the 3rd party sites are getting the latter set of data including the images to display them.

That's why on this link you can see the pictures:

2017 Tesla MS 90D in US listed at $63,600

I'm no internet expert so caveats apply, but it seems logical

• Informative
Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
They've been wrong before. Doc Foster seems to have demostrated they're still taking pictures, so why push back against it? If you were intereted in a particular CPO/Used car would you not want to at least check to see if you can find the pictures?
Agreed. Wonder why Tesla makes this so hard? Do they think the real photos unsell the car or make the product less desireable? Do they think making it more difficult to get an accurate "picture" of the car is a good selling point?

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Maybe off topic, but is there a reason that this used ordering/delivery thread is under "'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery"? I can see why ordering might be model specific, but wouldn't it make sense to have a separate forum for the Tesla used car process given how complex it is (and how much it's been changing)? That process is not specific to S or X (or 3 or Y for that matter now that we're starting to see Tesla selling used 3s).