Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh…the only notification I got was “dailo posted in a thread…” Nothing from the Tesla app. Good thing I saw your post though, because my powerwall is certainly discharging as part of the event, so I turned off my AC (that had just come on) to contribute as much as possible.

In the app it says it goes from 7:45 to 9pm.

Attachments

• IMG_6975.png
    IMG_6975.png
    685.7 KB · Views: 79
I only knew it was potentially coming up because I have the CAISO app installed and got an alert. I usually get this alert first and then about 10-15 mins later VPP kicks in.

CAISO EEA Watch NOTICE [202302772]

An Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) Watch has been declared for the California ISO for the CAISO Grid,
effective 07/25/2023 19:26 through 07/25/2023 23:59.

Reason:
The ISO is anticipating high loads and temperatures across the |CAISO Grid.

I only knew it was potentially coming up because I have the CAISO app installed and got an alert. I usually get this alert first and then about 10-15 mins later VPP kicks in.

CAISO EEA Watch NOTICE [202302772]

An Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) Watch has been declared for the California ISO for the CAISO Grid,
effective 07/25/2023 19:26 through 07/25/2023 23:59.

Reason:
The ISO is anticipating high loads and temperatures across the |CAISO Grid.
Do you have a link to that app and how is that notification come through, by sound as well?
Tesla is silent even though audio is on.

Do you have a link to that app and how is that notification come through, by sound as well?
Tesla is silent even though audio is on.
You should get an audio alert also, at least through the iOS notification settings.

Whoa how did I get enrolled in a VPP?????

My app now says I'm part of Sunrun Peak Power rewards. Apparently I get a $750 flat spiff for participation on top of the peak-time-export NEM credits banked during peak time. They don't seem to compensate per VPP. They just give a bonus for participating at all.

Of course if I can't use these peak export credits then I'm SOL. Good thing I got two non-Tesla BEVs again to use these precious suds.

Same with 2 powerwalls. Had to set reserve to 5% and turn off AC to get maximum. Charging the powerwalls back up to 50% from the grid and cranking the AC. A little notice would have been nice.
The VPP compensation is based on difference for the PowerWall exports during the VPP event versus the baseline period in the days prior to the event (the 10 weekdays or the 4 weekend days). Reducing your AC usage during the VPP event helps the grid, but it does not change your VPP compensation.

Reactions: BGbreeder
The VPP compensation is based on difference for the PowerWall exports during the VPP event versus the baseline period in the days prior to the event (the 10 weekdays or the 4 weekend days). Reducing your AC usage during the VPP event helps the grid, but it does not change your VPP compensation.

That is like... wacky math. It incentivizes people to set their Powerwalls to 100% on the 10 weekdays + 4 weekends before a VPP. So when they run their ACs on those non VPP days, they don't use any Powerwall energy. Then during the VPP the Powerwalls are allowed to do a full export. The difference between the control and VPP event is maximized.

I kind of like what Sunrun is doing where they just give a flat $250 per year for however many Powerwalls were installed regardless of their exported kWh during the entire VPP season. And I guess the homeowner gets the benefit of the NEM credits too.

VPP event last night was not announced early enough to be fully charged. Strange. I hope in the future they will give advanced warning.

My single PW is set to Export Everything, and these days dumps about 30% onto the grid during the 4-9 pm peak period. If a VPP event is announced in advance, I might even prefer to draw during the peak to cover the house consumption so as to have a full charge for the event.

Is anyone keeping or publishing a log of these events? I think I found one last year, but I don't recall where.

That is like... wacky math. It incentivizes people to set their Powerwalls to 100% on the 10 weekdays + 4 weekends before a VPP. So when they run their ACs on those non VPP days, they don't use any Powerwall energy. Then during the VPP the Powerwalls are allowed to do a full export. The difference between the control and VPP event is maximized.

I kind of like what Sunrun is doing where they just give a flat $250 per year for however many Powerwalls were installed regardless of their exported kWh during the entire VPP season. And I guess the homeowner gets the benefit of the NEM credits too.
It did not seem to work that way for me last year. When I got the check for last year, I went back and added up my export during the events. The compensation was $2 per kWh. And I was also compensated at the usual NEM retail rate for those exports.

Perhaps, the VPP export is compared with normal export but during the same time window as the VPP event. They were mostly late in the day, after solar export and after my Export Everything usually ended.