Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if these events are a good deal or bad deal for the power companies. We think getting paid $2/kWh is great, but I wonder if the power companies are saying “oh man, those suckers…we’d have to pay $10/kWh during this time to get the power from the leaker plants” 😂

I’ll gladly take my ~$47 per event (2 powerwalls), but how good (or bad) of a deal for the power companies will likely determine how much longer they do this for.
Peaker rates are very very high, by design and by cost and impact..would be interesting to know where the VPP rate lies compared to a peaker rate comparison.

Here in Oakland, East SF Bay Area, PG&E, VPP enabled, I received no VPP notification at all today. But.... my PW sat at 100% till 18:00, then dumped down to my usual backup reserve of 20%. So it looks like a VPP event, but with no notification. PW did the right thing though, so it knew. Usually it exports starting at 4pm, when our EV2-A rate goes to peak, but today it let solar cover the house and didn't export till 18:00.

So, cool PW did the right thing, but not cool on the lack of notification, 'cause I could have adjusted my backup to sell another kWh for $2

So it looks like they did do VPP up here in the north, but only sent notices out to So Cal.

SW

I don't think one can conclude that. I got the notification yesterday (as well as for the other events earlier this week, with approximately the same timing as others have discussed in this thread). My Powerwall system and I are definitely in NorCal.

Bruce.

I'm a net generator and normally use self-powered mode. I want to use 70% of my powerwall capacity for VPP, and then use the remainder for self-consumption (rather than importing from the grid near the end of the event). Setting my reserve to 30% last night meant that it stopped exporting and started importing with about 20 minutes left in the VPP event, so I opted out of the event at that point to switch back to self-powered mode. I assume I still get credited for the power I exported during the event, but the credit system is strange enough that I thought maybe I shouldn't be so sure. Does anyone know if opting out during an event still credits you for power exported during the event up to that point?

Hi guys, I'm still trying to understand how this VPP PW export works and try to maximize it.

This is last nite's VPP event. Does this mean that I only sent 5.9 Kwh to VPP? I'm trying to find out why not the whole PW capacity since I changed my reserve to 0.I only have 1 PW+, not sure what is limiting this.

IMG_20230727_080652.jpg

Hi guys, I'm still trying to understand how this VPP PW export works and try to maximize it.

This is last nite's VPP event. Does this mean that I only sent 5.9 Kwh to VPP? I'm trying to find out why not the whole PW capacity since I changed my reserve to 0.I only have 1 PW+, not sure what is limiting this.

View attachment 960053
Yep that's what it means. $12 worth

I'm a net generator and normally use self-powered mode. I want to use 70% of my powerwall capacity for VPP, and then use the remainder for self-consumption (rather than importing from the grid near the end of the event). Setting my reserve to 30% last night meant that it stopped exporting and started importing with about 20 minutes left in the VPP event, so I opted out of the event at that point to switch back to self-powered mode. I assume I still get credited for the power I exported during the event, but the credit system is strange enough that I thought maybe I shouldn't be so sure. Does anyone know if opting out during an event still credits you for power exported during the event up to that point?
Yes, you'll still get credit when Tesla mails out the checks for 2023 VPP participation (likely in early 2024)

• Helpful
Reactions: evermore
I don't think one can conclude that. I got the notification yesterday (as well as for the other events earlier this week, with approximately the same timing as others have discussed in this thread). My Powerwall system and I are definitely in NorCal.

Bruce.
Folks not getting push notifications on their Tesla app seems to be somewhat common, but I'll actually cut Tesla some slack here and say this is more likely to be an issue with your phone or network connection than Tesla not blasting out VPP alerts to participants.

View attachment 960053
No, that is only showing what you exported to the grid. Click on the Powerwall icon to see what the full export was from the Powerwall. The compensation is based on the difference of the amount that the Powerwall exports during the VPP event hours and the baseline for the same hours in the days before (10 weekdays or 4 weekend days).

It doesn't matter if the Powerwall export goes to the grid or is consumed in your house as both are lowering the load on the grid.

Reactions: bemyax and KHYE
No, that is only showing what you exported to the grid. Click on the Powerwall icon to see what the full export was from the Powerwall. The compensation is based on the difference of the amount that the Powerwall exports during the VPP event hours and the baseline for the same hours in the days before (10 weekdays or 4 weekend days).

It doesn't matter if the Powerwall export goes to the grid or is consumed in your house as both are lowering the load on the grid.
Hi Redhill_qik, thanks, so it's showing discharged of 12.5kwh. I'm assuming I will get $25 from last nite's VPP.

IMG_20230727_094321.jpg

Hi Redhill_qik, thanks, so it's showing discharged of 12.5kwh. I'm assuming I will get $25 from last nite's VPP.

View attachment 960086
No, @Redhill_qik wasn't correct. Your initial app screenshot showed 5.9kWh from Powerwall exported to grid. That's what you'll get VPP credit for.
The 12.5kWh discharge number in your 2nd screenshot is the total to the home + grid, so by simple math your home used 6.6kWh of energy from the Powerwall. You don't get VPP credit for what your home used from the batteries.

Read the compensation section of Emergency Load Reduction Pilot | Tesla Support to see how the VPP credits are calculated.

Reactions: KHYE
No, @Redhill_qik wasn't correct. Your initial app screenshot showed 5.9kWh from Powerwall exported to grid. That's what you'll get VPP credit for.
The 12.5kWh discharge number in your 2nd screenshot is the total to the home + grid, so by simple math your home used 6.6kWh of energy from the Powerwall. You don't get VPP credit for what your home used from the batteries.

Read the compensation section of Emergency Load Reduction Pilot | Tesla Support to see how the VPP credits are calculated.

This was discussed ad nauseam during the 2022 VPP season, so please see post #604 upthread with a detailed response from the people that run the program.

The page that you linked to has this section that provides the compensation rules that match what I wrote.

Compensation​

The Tesla and PG&E ELRP pilot will compensate you $2 for every additional kWh that your Powerwall delivers during an event beyond typical behavior.

Your compensation depends on:
  • The participating energy capacity of your system, which depends on the number of Powerwalls and your Backup Reserve. Lower your Backup Reserve to earn more.
  • How fully charged your Powerwall is for the event. There may not be enough solar energy or time to fully charge the Powerwall before an event.
  • How much your Powerwall would typically charge or discharge during the event time.
  • Whether the Powerwall can export all available energy during the event. Powerwall may not have time to safely discharge all participating energy during the event. Powerwall may need to limit exports to safe levels, typically similar to solar export levels.

Please identify any criteria in the above that states that only the Powerwall energy that goes to the grid is compensated. Instead you will see these statements:
  • compensate you $2 for every additional kWh that your Powerwall delivers during an event beyond typical behavior
  • How much your Powerwall would typically charge or discharge during the event time
The "typical" qualifier refers to the baseline portion that is subtracted from what the Powerwall actually discharged during the VPP event.

Last edited:
That would be the maximum you could receive, but you have to subtract the average baseline amount that your Powerwall discharged during the prior 10 weekdays for the same time period (not including holidays or VPP days). This is time consuming and cumbersome to calculate, so to simplify it look at Monday July 24 for how much the Powerwall discharged during 6:00-9:00pm (you will need export the data and then add up the amounts to get this right). If that was maybe 4.5 kWh then your compensation was 12.5 - 4.5 = 8.0 kWh * $2 = $16.

That would be the maximum you could receive, but you have to subtract the average baseline amount that your Powerwall discharged during the prior 10 weekdays for the same time period (not including holidays or VPP days). This is time consuming and cumbersome to calculate, so to simplify it look at Monday July 24 for how much the Powerwall discharged during 6:00-9:00pm (you will need export the data and then add up the amounts to get this right). If that was maybe 4.5 kWh then your compensation was 12.5 - 4.5 = 8.0 kWh * $2 = $16.
I guess i won't get paid :( Jul 24 discharged was 13.7 kwh. I will have to adjust my backup reserve level to very high to get maximum payout:)

I guess i won't get paid :( Jul 24 discharged was 13.7 kwh. I will have to adjust my backup reserve level to very high to get maximum payout:)
Well, that was just one day and you will need to look at all of the other 9 weekdays for the 6:00-9:00pm period and the average them.

On the 13.7 kWh, was that for the entire 4:00-9:00pm Peak or was it just for 6:00-9:00pm period? Seems strange that you had more discharge on Monday than the VPP event, unless you are using Export Everything which is something you don't want to do with VPP.

Peaker rates are very very high, by design and by cost and impact..would be interesting to know where the VPP rate lies compared to a peaker rate comparison.

Ignoring the transmission costs and absurd mark-up on the PPAs (which as stated above guarantee profits for everybody involved in the Energy system)... the generation costs for peaker plants is pretty high.

Unfortunately, research during that NEM proceeding said that residential rooftop solar and ESS was the most expensive of all sources and systems. Which is why the utilities argued the distributed energy generation on homes was wasteful and resulting in rate payers getting gouged when rich fat-cats put solar on their homes.

The CAISO members don't profit when a positive energy ROI goes to a suburban homeowner with solar haha. So if someone's going to be subsidized by ratepayers to get a positive ROI, it's sure as *sugar* going be the people bribing lobbying the CPUC and California Department of Planning and California Energy Commission.

1690483133802.png

Edit: I can't find the more recent versions of this study which were part of the NEM proceeding.

Folks not getting push notifications on their Tesla app seems to be somewhat common, but I'll actually cut Tesla some slack here and say this is more likely to be an issue with your phone or network connection than Tesla not blasting out VPP alerts to participants.
I did get the notification on the Tues event, but not Wed's. So my phone is probably OK, but somehow this particular alert didn't make it through.

Back when I first got the PW, it was not giving me notifications when it went into backup mode. I was not told exactly what they did, but eventually Tesla Energy support got it working.

That event was my first experience here on TMC, and I really appreciated all the advice from this crowd!

I've had other issues with the app, and in one real head-scratcher of a case, the fix was changing the email address on my Tesla account. That made the Auth server build a whole new record and that got the app working correctly. Then I changed my email back and it was still fixed.

No, @Redhill_qik is correct. Tesla applied for "sub-metering" for the ELRP program, which means it's what the Powerwall discharges that matter, not the export to the grid. See section A.4 here: https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/-/media/cpu...-r2011003-attachment-2-with-track-changes.pdf