Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision vs Parking Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately the vision parking assist is not good for distance estimation at short distances, especially from the front where your bonnet blocks your camera view and the car has to guess it's position from memory. It tends to be inaccurate and says 'STOP' fairly early when you need that distance to manoeuvre. That means that when you're parallel parking into a tight spot and you need parking sensors the most, they likely won't work for you.

This is an example of a tight parallel car spot I got into easily yesterday with my USS parking sensors, despite it being only ~100cm longer than my car. The USS give me an accurate distance readout on the front and back in all conditions (day and night).

View attachment 1019379
I would have though tesla need a camera near the rego plate to make vision properly effective.

Don’t bet against Elon, especially when it comes to physics. The guy said vision only FSD was possible and everyone laughed at him. Even I had my doubts.

I am pretty sure it will improve over time and surpass USS and bird eye view in terms of accuracy and ease of use. Also, dependence on other wavelengths is a bit of an integration issue for FSD where the rest of driving is vision and the computer has to switch to USS for the last few metres in the parking area. So he’s willing to bite the bullet now (a little bit at our expense) in order to solve that problem.

Reactions: Jules22
Well, that sucks then.
Front bumper camera would clear up that last blind spot
I don't really see what's right in front of you could be labelled as a 'blind spot' which I'm guessing is why they decided the bumper camera wasn't worth keeping.

No reason the system cannot see what is in front as you approach and remember it, same as a human would.

If anyone who doesn't have Tesla Vision is interested, I did a really quick video last night on it. It's pretty crappy quality, I had set out to do something on the adaptive headlights, but the mobile phone camera didn't really show it well enough to do it justice, so I figured I'd make use of the time and at least get something recorded. I'll probably remake it at some point in daylight and do some more tests in car parks with painted lines etc.

Reactions: jassi
I don't really see what's right in front of you could be labelled as a 'blind spot' which I'm guessing is why they decided the bumper camera wasn't worth keeping.

No reason the system cannot see what is in front as you approach and remember it, same as a human would.
So I return to my car, parallel parked. A different car is parked in front of me really close and also behind me really close. Unknown to me the car in front has a large tow bar sticking out. My front camera and sensors both pick it up as I need to get close to make room thanks to the idiot behind me. Tesla vision…no it would not see that change of circumstance. Not even sure it would be able to determine the back of the car in front as it was turned off when that car arrived and parked.

If anyone who doesn't have Tesla Vision is interested, I did a really quick video last night on it. It's pretty crappy quality, I had set out to do something on the adaptive headlights, but the mobile phone camera didn't really show it well enough to do it justice, so I figured I'd make use of the time and at least get something recorded. I'll probably remake it at some point in daylight and do some more tests in car parks with painted lines etc.

Why dont you just use your mirrors? Not sure what the animated blobs that are clearly too close to your car are achieving that your mirrors wouldn’t

Why dont you just use your mirrors? Not sure what the animated blobs that are clearly too close to your car are achieving that your mirrors wouldn’t
What makes you believe I'm not using mirrors?

Of course you use mirrors in combination with the park assist. The Tesla Vision is just another tool that adds to the overall SA. In this case both other vehicles were at an angle and it was a matter of centimetres between the mirrors and the other cars at the front on both sides. The vision system adds a very good layer of awareness which a 4 camera 360 view would not have achieved in that situation.

Last edited:
What makes you believe I'm not using mirrors?

Of course you use mirrors in combination with the park assist. The Tesla Vision is just another tool that adds to the overall SA. In this case both other vehicles were at an angle and it was a matter of centimetres between the mirrors and the other cars at the front on both sides. The vision system adds a very good layer of awareness which a 4 camera 360 view would not have achieved in that situation.
Rubbish. A 360 view camera (a proper one) would have shown a lot more than the incorrect blobs on your screen. Seriously…you need to go and try a modern decent system.

The wiper / headlight / tacc (in australia) do not leave me hopefull that the parking concept will get to the level of standard well used systems.
Considering the auto wipers still don't work properly, I would agree with this. It's interesting to see how long musk's stubbornness over cameras can pervade, given the obvious inferiority of them for many of the use cases that other brands have alternate tech for.
Correct, particularly when you look at how they perform already in the US. The limitations here are regulatory not system limitations and given the EU have finally moved on this, we will likely follow suit soon as we unfortunately just seem to follow most of their regulations rather than what is best for Australia.
Most of tesla's issues when it comes to parking sensors, continued inability to function as well as other brands' decade-old+ radar cruise, etc. has nothing at all to do with regulation and has to do with tesla's insistence on using a hammer to drive a screw.
Don’t bet against Elon, especially when it comes to physics. The guy said vision only FSD was possible and everyone laughed at him. Even I had my doubts.
They are still laughing at him. Vision-only FSD is nowhere near production ready, and won't be for years (best case).

I still believe theoretically it is possible, but for many years now it's been nothing but a pipe dream.
Rubbish. A 360 view camera (a proper one) would have shown a lot more than the incorrect blobs on your screen. Seriously…you need to go and try a modern decent system.
They are awesome. Yes, if something is magically suspended in the air several feet above the car maybe they won't see it. It's hard to think of many such scenarios. What we really need when parking is things like excellent curb fidelity, which they give. With a good 360 camera system you can very confidently and consistently park just a few inches from a curb. Nobody is doing that with whatever the mess of grays is on the tesla screen.

I've used 360 view systems in a number of different medium to high end vehicles for many years.

Having first hand experience with both systems I 100% stand by the statement that 360 view cannot handle this situation as well as Tesla Vision did (unless you want to stay hung up on the fact that the cars are perfectly represented as grey shapes rather than "pretty" (warped) pictures).

A 4 camera 360 view cannot handle when the cars are as close as they were in this example, the side cameras simply cannot see enough to warp the image correctly and you get the exact situation in the other video I'd posted on page 1 and perfectly demonstrates the limitations of a 360 view that is not present in Tesla Vision. You've got video evidence of a difficult situation where Tesla Vision worked perfectly and video evidence of a less difficult situation where 360 view failed miserably.

Last edited:
A 4 camera 360 view cannot handle when the cars are as close as they were in this example, the side cameras simply cannot see enough to warp the image correctly and you get the exact situation in the other video I'd posted on page 1 and perfectly demonstrates the limitations of a 360 view that is not present in Tesla Vision.
I think you're confusing a bad implementation with the concept of a 360 surround view.

The 360 view I used on a 3 year old BMW 5 series (part of the parking assist pro package) produced a very clean image with minimal distortion. It would easily have seen the obstacle in the example above. It also overlaid 3D models on top of the view feed as visual reference points, kinda like Tesla Vision but with an actual real-time video feed.

I love my Model Y but it's parking assist technology is a long way behind the mark.

I've used 360 view systems in a number of different medium to high end vehicles for many years.

Having first hand experience with both systems I 100% stand by the statement that 360 view cannot handle this situation as well as Tesla Vision did (unless you want to stay hung up on the fact that the cars are perfectly represented as grey shapes rather than "pretty" (warped) pictures).

A 4 camera 360 view cannot handle when the cars are as close as they were in this example, the side cameras simply cannot see enough to warp the image correctly and you get the exact situation in the other video I'd posted on page 1 and perfectly demonstrates the limitations of a 360 view that is not present in Tesla Vision. You've got video evidence of a difficult situation where Tesla Vision worked perfectly and video evidence of a less difficult situation where 360 view failed miserably.

And yet you watched a video of tesla vision failing by driving into a person and hose reel, and ignore that it will not pickup something low that changes after you park.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Different gaps with each system shown using 3 different M3 versions (vs various obstacles)
The most gimmicky nonsensical feature in the Tesla.

All we need is ultrasonic sensor and front bumper cameras. We dont need a visual map. We don’t know a 3d diagram. Parking is the simplest action that was already solved 25 years ago. Tesla is making the act of parking more difficult and complex.

A half baked feature with zero value.