Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs. North Carolina on Huffington Post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk said during the shareholders' annual meeting most of the opposition is being driven by large, multi-state dealers. Although he didn't name names, I won't be so polite and reticent. Rick Hendrick and Hendrick Automotive Group has 37 dealerships in NC alone, and another 50 in states like Virginia and Texas. It's not coincidental those state's auto dealers associations are also fighting hard to keep Tesla from selling direct to consumers. Ask Mr. Hendrick if he believes in free enterprise and competition, off-track as well as on.
I don't think that's really a question. People who buy up hundreds of dealerships are not people who believe in "competition", they're people who believe in monopolies. Actually, Adam Smith said, back in _The Wealth of Nations_, that businessmen practically never like competition and will try to get rid of it if at all possible. Of course they dislike competition -- they make more money without competition. So this shouldn't be anything surprising.

There may be exceptions - but why wouldn't someone want a monopoly ?
That's not quite what he said.

He said:
not people who believe in "competition", they're people who believe in monopolies.

Aiming to have a dominant influence (whether at monopoly levels or not) doesn't imply you don't believe in competition. In fact, to some degree competitiveness is what drives you to get in a position to become a monopoly in the first place. Unless of course you make your money in a large industry and then just buy up everyone in some smaller industry with the profits.

If you're in North Carolina, you might want to rush to order your Tesla online now before it's outlawed -- at least that is what the WSJ is reporting in an in-depth video and article earlier today. I'm glad they're bringing this to the attention of their readership so prominently...

Video - Get That Tesla Model S or X Before Your Home State Says 'No!' - WSJ.com

Tesla Clashes With Car Dealers - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com

It'll be interesting to see what happens if NC actually enforces this law. Let the lawsuits begin!

It will be "interesting" (ie: nauseating) to see how lawmakers spin this.

"No, not under any circumstances can you purchase this American-made car that is currently on sale in other states. However, if you need a vehicle immediately, Honda has some great promotions running."

What a patriotic message. :rolleyes:

If you're in North Carolina, you might want to rush to order your Tesla online now before it's outlawed -- at least that is what the WSJ is reporting in an in-depth video and article earlier today. I'm glad they're bringing this to the attention of their readership so prominently...

Video - Get That Tesla Model S or X Before Your Home State Says 'No!' - WSJ.com

Tesla Clashes With Car Dealers - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com

Nice statements by Artis Beatty in the video - one of our TMC friends?

Sorry for the unintentional double-post above--the second one was meant for the News forums, but it got moved here. Anyhow, on to the next question: When is the store at Southpoint in Durham going to open? Anybody have any scuttlebutt? Maybe I need to chat up the management at the mall to find out.

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I am a race car driver living in North Carolina and our state legislature is trying to pass a bill to stop Tesla from selling cars in our state. I have been meeting with lawmakers here since the bill passed the Senate and soon I will testify before the House Transportation Committee. I wrote this article about the fight for Huffington Post and wanted to share it with all the Tesla owners and enthusiasts here:

Leilani Munter, Huffington Post: Why We Need to Fight for Tesla

Hopefully we will win this fight, but the dealers are very powerful here.

Leilani
Carbon Free Girl
Never Underestimate a Vegetarian Hippie Chick With a Race Car

Congratulations! We won this round.