Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VS Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny reading comments of the Model S being an 8 year old design, who fault is that? Tesla. And guess what, Tesla is going to stuff a more powerful powertrain into an 8 year old platform if rumors are to be believed.

Tesla Model S owners here naturally think their car look great, I mean, thats why you bought them. However, as newer designs start flooding the market in mass, the Model S, even with new front and rear clips and Plaid powertrain will start to look dated. No doubt, Tesla knows this, their answer to this will be interesting to watch.

When I compare the Model S (looks wise only) to say, Audi RS7, the current top end Honda Accord, and others that have the fastback sedan look? Model S still looks fresh. Not going just by my biased view...but from pretty much every single person who has walked up to check it out since I bought it two months ago. Not saying it looks BETTER than the Audi RS7 (looks are subjective), but still looks very relevant

Last edited:
I call BS. 2020 P100D is not an 8 year old 2012 P85 - everything is new but maybe some body panels. What do you this is in the 2020 P100D that is 8 years old?

Let me politely educate you a bit on car manufacturing.

When car makers engineer design/architect a new model, some things are often dynamic over the model run (interior styles and options, engines or motors, transmissions, etc) and other things tend to be static, as it would cost too much to re-design. Examples of things that tend to be static: primary suspension design (location and number of control arms, Mcpherson strut vs double wishbone setup), location of engine (front vs mid engine like Vette just went through), frame (Over past decade, several mfrs went to all aluminum chassis saving hundreds of lbs of weight), windtunnel-based improvements to reduce drag and improve downforce at high speeds.

So while many things in the Model S have certainly improved since 2012 (which actually means it was most likely engineered in 2010 or earlier, making it closer to a 10 year old design), one would be remiss in thinking that a Model S that would be engineered/designed in 2019 wouldn't be significantly better than one designed a decade ago. Most likely would be lighter (improvements in weight to strength ratio of alloys), would have a suspension that is completely redesigned from the ground up, more rigidity in the chassis, and as a result, faster on a road course and with more range (less weight).

Thats ignoring the fact that if Tesla had the benefit of having $85k worth of improvements built into a Model S engineered in 2019. Even though it already won the C&D comparison, I cant imagine how much larger the gap would be then...

So yeah, the fact that a newly engineered Taycan (designed to be a straight up 2 seater race car) costing $85k MORE than a 4 door passenger family sedan LOST to said family sedan, says a lot about where Tesla is today against every other car maker on the globe when it comes to EV performance.

Facts.

Last edited:
holy cow that sounds like a terrible experience from the beginning!
what was Porsche(and apparently everyone but Tesla) thinking
the Taycan sounds horrible in many important ways for an EV. the software sounds like pure junk as is, Nav doesn't find chargers?
lane keeping like a drunk, ouch

Funny, but I came to the opposite conclusion! Sounded like a pretty amazing car to me. Admittedly, the owner was keeping a list of issues to be addressed, but he was not making a big fuss about them (although he was annoyed about the navigation system). He kept his attitude positive and evidently is willing to accept that the car is a brand new model with some bugs to be worked out. Porsche's support for him in mid-Canada sounded phenomenal. I love my Model S, but I found myself rooting for the guy and getting a bit envious....!

When I compare the Model S (looks wise only) to say, Audi RS7, the current top end Honda Accord, and others that have the fastback sedan look? Model S still looks fresh. Not going just by my biased view...but from pretty much every single person who has walked up to check it out since I bought it two months ago. Not saying it looks BETTER than the Audi RS7 (looks are subjective), but still looks very relevant

Had a middle aged lady walk up to me this past weekend as I was getting into my S. She said “that is a beautiful car. Who makes that?” I said Tesla. She never heard of them.

It's an ageless beauty. I hope when they eventually release a second generation S, it keeps the overall look and just refines it enough to be new, not a total different look or "cybercar" extreme changes. I could see the S being like a 911 - changed every few years but subtle enough that it takes a practiced eye to spot sometimes.

What I would like is the unseen things mentioned above to be updated. I think current technology in a newer chassis alone would reach 400 miles, and a redesign would probably also let them use the model 3 style batteries that are lighter per kWh for maybe a lot more.

Had a middle aged lady walk up to me this past weekend as I was getting into my S. She said “that is a beautiful car. Who makes that?” I said Tesla. She never heard of them.

She will probably be shocked that it is an American made car. 2 years ago when I bought a Model X, I told my coworkers this time I bought an American car (my previous cars are all Japanese or German). They guessed every single American car maker except Tesla LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and SO16
Look at how many car manufacturers attempt to create their version of a retro style automobile. Not sure where to start, there are many.

Fiat 500
Ford GT
Mustang
Camaro
Beetle
Toyota FJ
Fiat spider
ect..
The thing with the Tesla Model S is, how it looks new and retro all at the same time.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Range mode doesn't do anything when going at constant speed of 75mph. Giving range "at or below 75mph" doesn't mean anything - for example drive 75mph for 10 seconds, coast to 25mph, then continue at 25mph until empty, and you can report getting "500+miles at or below 75mph".

No, Range Mode turns off the rear engine at cruising speeds, so you get about 300 Wh/Mi. I can actually go up to 90 miles per hour with no effect on range. My old 85 had difficulties going 90 miles per hour as it only had the rear engine. Please check documentation and try it out - I have on many road trips. Range Mode rocks.

Brent

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and UkrHog