TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla wall charger at 110

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pfremm, Dec 28, 2016.

1. pfremm

pfremm Member

Has anyone hooked up the wall charger to 110? My garage is detached and he ground is frozen so I cannot get 220 run till spring. The tax deduction for ev charges expires in two days but since I have the wall charger I'm curious if it's possible to wire it with 110. I see in the manual it shows lower amp options all the way down to 12 amps but it looks like it suggests two hits. Anyone tried it with a single hot wire?

2. Mknac

Mknac Member

Perhaps not the answer you are asking for but for informational purposes I get 3 mph on a 110 wall outlet, 17 mph using a NEMA 14-30 in a dryer outlet and 30 mph on my NEMA 14-50 in my garage.

3. pfremm

pfremm Member

I was more curious on booking the wall charger up at 110 so I can claim the tax credit until I can run my 220 since that will be after the credit expires.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The tax credit for charging equipment is subject to AMT, meaning that is unlikely that people of sufficient means to buy a Tesla would get any benefit from the credit.

5. pfremm

pfremm Member

We just have a very small house payment and that's it for monthly payments and no kids. We have not done AMT before but I did have a job change that helped justify the tesla. Hopefully we still avoid it.

6. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

The wall connector cannot be installed on a 120 circuit.

7. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

I used 110 for a week this summer while staying at a beach house. It worked fine. We did not drive much,about 30 miles per day. Left with 100%charge.

8. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Charging off 120 works fine. The UMC supports that. The Wall Connector does not list it as a supported voltage.

9. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Definitely check the AMT issue above. Its usually better to take the $7,500 EV purchase credit in a different tax year as the EV charger installation credit. In our case (like a most other Tesla buyers) the AMT issue yielded ZERO tax crecit for our EV charger installation credit.

YMMV

Professional Driver / Closed Course

"You won't lose your doctors or your insurance, your medical & insurance costs won't go up."