Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other disadvantage of using the adaptor is the charge port opening button. We have a hpwc and a jukebox in our garage (teslas and other EVs in the family) - I always find myself defaulting to the Tesla charger for this reason, as lazy as it is, alone.

Yea I forgot about this one. I don't know if it's the same for all Tesla's but on the 3 you can just touch the charge door and it opens. I do still miss pushing the remote button for some reason though.

I'm in the same boat, waiting for Tesla 3 which will hopefully come next month, and want to install the Tesla HPWC. To reiterate the previous question which I don't think was answered, it's been out of stock for at least a couple weeks- does anyone have a sense based on history how long before it is back in stock? It seems pretty crazy that such a "core" item seems to frequently go out of stock (from what I'm hearing).... thanks.
While I cannot tell you when, I’m pretty sure I know why, at least recently. There is a known defect in a batch of V3 chargers, causing the charge rate to throttle to 16 amps. (3 red flashes, then the normal vertical green array). I bought mine in April and was told by the tech that there are a bunch of ppl queued up for replacements. I was told 2-4 weeks, although FedEx will deliver Tuesday, which will be 2. I suspect that’s impacting new deliveries a bit.
:)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I am buying a M3 LR from a private seller and installing a Tesla wall charger. I've read some threads on here saying it took months to receive their unit. I live in Los Angeles. Can I just walk in a store and buy one? The car isn't registered in my name yet, but I assume they'll sell me a charger regardless of whether I own a Tesla, right?

Also, if I have to order it online, is there a return policy?

Contact a reputable LOCAL electrician, and have them install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage. Cheaper and just as efficient. It's what Tesla actually recommended to us when we bought our Model 3 last year.

Contact a reputable LOCAL electrician, and have them install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage. Cheaper and just as efficient. It's what Tesla actually recommended to us when we bought our Model 3 last year.
The installation certainly tends to be cheaper, and with a 14-50 receptacle the car owner has the choice of using the mobile EVSE that came with the car.

Been very happy with 14-30 connectors at each of our homes...wiring was much easier to run, hardware plus wiring plus conduits plus new breakers (30 amp plus a few slim lines to make room in the breaker box) ran me less than $100 per house. Plus $35 for a 14-30 adapter. At 23 mph charge rate it easily charges to 80% overnight without issues.

Just mentioning it because in some cases you might already have 30 amp wiring available...our Florida home actually had an outdoor breaker box for the AC and a well pump...well pump wasn’t in use anymore and happened to be 30 amp breaker so quick drill a hole back into the garage thru the cinder blocks and plug in ended up 3 ft from car power connector :). It being Florida I threw the old breakers away and replaced them right away...salt in the air is hell on electronics. Fingers crossed on Tesla electronics.

While I cannot tell you when, I’m pretty sure I know why, at least recently. There is a known defect in a batch of V3 chargers, causing the charge rate to throttle to 16 amps. (3 red flashes, then the normal vertical green array). I bought mine in April and was told by the tech that there are a bunch of ppl queued up for replacements. I was told 2-4 weeks, although FedEx will deliver Tuesday, which will be 2. I suspect that’s impacting new deliveries a bit.
:)

I'm waiting for my replacement.

I am so glad I bought the Tesla wall chargers Gen2 last year when the regular one that had the thick cord 24 feet long and could be wired to a 100 amp breaker resulting in max 80 amp output ( none requires it currently but futureproofing for future EV with bigger batteries).

The one that was more tricky to get was the 40 amp output WC with a 14-50 plug hardwired to it and could be used outdoors. That made it easy to plug into any of the two 14-50 receptacles we have in our garage and charge the SR+. That was sold intermittently on the site till it was discontinued.

I am waiting for the Y ( will take it in Oct-Nov when I hope the defects will be less) and that will plug into the 80 amp TC, which is an overkill. We have no time of charge lower rates, and the car settings and Tesla app is fine with me for charging which I set for 80% charge at departure time in the morning. The mobile chargers supplied with the car is in the frunk for emergency use during travel or if one of the WC malfunctions.

In the big picture of things where we are spending upwards 40 and 50K on a car, spending $500 for a WC is small change that adds a lot of convenience. Some people her seem to be penny pinchers.

Last edited:
I think the wait will go on for a bit. The replacement unit I got has the same problem. Tesla told me they thought they had it nailed, but apparently not. I'm now in line for when they find a fix. It'd be nice if it was a firmware issue, but the tech was doubtful.

Rather than install a 14-50, I recommend installing a 6-50 instead. This saves money spent on the unused neutral wire in the 14-50. Tesla charges the same for any of the UMC plugs, just order the 6-50 instead.

If you plan to upgrade to a HPWC later, install wiring capable for use with a 60 Amp breaker. Then only the breaker will have to be changed from 50 A to 60 A to use the max 48 A charging rate of the gen 3 HPWC.

GSP

Reactions: Tomc62 and iamnid