Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger - Whoah!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to labor and material issues (what else is new) my upgrade to a 200amp panel was delayed.

It finally happened, though, and I've gone from charging at 9km/hr to 56km/hr at home.

Whoah!

That's some serious charging!
IMG_0886.png

Why bother with a 200 amp panel when the home charger only requires 60 and actually only pulls 48?

In your picture, it's only pulling 32 out of 48. You might need to login to it and configure it.
based on range at 90%, it looks like he has an SR+ which is limited to 32A max. he won't need to change anything. i have a 100A panel and the electrician was able to install a 40A breaker to my garage, which i have my mobile charger connected to.

Reactions: BarokPogi
Why bother with a 200 amp panel when the home charger only requires 60 and actually only pulls 48?

In your picture, it's only pulling 32 out of 48. You might need to login to it and configure it.

What Gulag said - SR+ is limited.

200 amp panel was needed for the main panel with a sub panel out to the garage. The old 100 amp was too full (big house). Plus, the garage panel will also be supporting a pool pump etc when they go in next year.

based on range at 90%, it looks like he has an SR+ which is limited to 32A max. he won't need to change anything. i have a 100A panel and the electrician was able to install a 40A breaker to my garage, which i have my mobile charger connected to.
I have 100A panel on our 70 year old house. Luckily, there were 2 spare slots in our electical panel board. Otherwise, I have to spend $$$ to replace the electrical board. More money to bump it to 200A as new wires are needed.

As long as I don't charge while dryer is running. I've scheduled to charge after midnight.

I have 100A panel on our 70 year old house. Luckily, there were 2 spare slots in our electical panel board. Otherwise, I have to spend $$$ to replace the electrical board. More money to bump it to 200A as new wires are needed.

As long as I don't charge while dryer is running. I've scheduled to charge after midnight.
Or reduce the amp while charging. My SR+ takes up to 32A but since I charge overnight I lowered it to 20A, doesn't make a difference as I still wake up to a full charge in the morning.

Reactions: BarokPogi
The limit is the number of amps, 32 in this case. Running that on 240V gives 7680W, or 7.6kW. Very often the voltage you get at home, especially when pulling 32A, will drop to something lower. I've seen 228 when pulling 48A on mine. 228*32 gives 7296W, or 7.3kW. The charging speed will vary a bit depending on your voltage drop.

To get to kph, which is a weird measure for charging IMO, you need to use your car's energy consumption constant. I'm not sure what these are on the current models... From your TeslaFi information it appears to be 135wh/km. With that value, you would typically charge between 54 and 57kph.

You could arrive at 48kph if you used a higher consumption constant, like 152wh/km for example. (Note: my 2020 LR AWD uses 146wh/km I believe). As the cars evolve and some things get optimized, Tesla might not always update those tables that show the charging speeds depending on amperage. The important thing is that your car pulls up to 7.6kW of power in AC charging.

EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to account for power usage of the car while charging as well as charging losses. I don't have those values precisely. I know the car consumes something like 200W to be awake and run the pumps so at a minimum there's 200W less that goes into the battery. If it was 90% efficient, I think you should remove ~10% from that power... you might end up with 6.7kW in the battery in the best case, which would be 50kph. Since you're getting more than that, I will assume the car doesn't account for losses and reports input power :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisuoft
The limit is the number of amps, 32 in this case. Running that on 240V gives 7680W, or 7.6kW. Very often the voltage you get at home, especially when pulling 32A, will drop to something lower. I've seen 228 when pulling 48A on mine. 228*32 gives 7296W, or 7.3kW. The charging speed will vary a bit depending on your voltage drop.

To get to kph, which is a weird measure for charging IMO, you need to use your car's energy consumption constant. I'm not sure what these are on the current models... From your TeslaFi information it appears to be 135wh/km. With that value, you would typically charge between 54 and 57kph.

You could arrive at 48kph if you used a higher consumption constant, like 152wh/km for example. (Note: my 2020 LR AWD uses 146wh/km I believe). As the cars evolve and some things get optimized, Tesla might not always update those tables that show the charging speeds depending on amperage. The important thing is that your car pulls up to 7.6kW of power in AC charging.

EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to account for power usage of the car while charging as well as charging losses. I don't have those values precisely. I know the car consumes something like 200W to be awake and run the pumps so at a minimum there's 200W less that goes into the battery. If it was 90% efficient, I think you should remove ~10% from that power... you might end up with 6.7kW in the battery in the best case, which would be 50kph. Since you're getting more than that, I will assume the car doesn't account for losses and reports input power :)

Thanks for the absolutely fascinating response. A fun part of this overall transition is training our minds to shift from MPG to these new measures. I can't profess to know much about this, but your details certainly provide me a pathway for understanding!

Out of curiosity, you must have an electrical background? I mean, the level of detail...

No... :) I work in software development. I just like to understand some of the details. I do have one friend who is an electrical engineer and has an EV, we discuss these things for fun. Abstracting all the complexity of electricity, load factors and what not, the important aspects we need here are simple. You just need to know the simple formulas and pay attention to units, just like in the math courses in school :D