Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector load sharing protocol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The product listing also mentions "Wi-Fi connectivity enables over-the-air firmware updates and remote service if necessary."

I don't really see the need to upgrade since our current wall connectors are already load-balanced and can receive firmware updates when a car is plugged in.
Exactly. But, I was thinking of getting another wall connector for a cyber truck, especially since there is a 30% tax refund in the US this year for an EVSE. I think this new one will still be compatible with the gen 2 load balancing scheme since the rs485 connector is still there.

Exactly. But, I was thinking of getting another wall connector for a cyber truck, especially since there is a 30% tax refund in the US this year for an EVSE. I think this new one will still be compatible with the gen 2 load balancing scheme since the rs485 connector is still there.
Yeah, it sounds like it would still communicate with gen 2 WCs. :)

And yes, take advantage of the tax refund. Fortunately, it is retroactive and we should be able to claim our upgrade from 14-50 outlets to the wall connectors.

Reactions: Utahken
The product listing also mentions "Wi-Fi connectivity enables over-the-air firmware updates and remote service if necessary."

I don't really see the need to upgrade since our current wall connectors are already load-balanced and can receive firmware updates when a car is plugged in.

The manual does say "Wall Connector is equipped with Wi-Fi to communicate with local site routers, vehicles, mobile devices, other Wall Connectors, and other Tesla products." Hopefully a hardware upgrade won't be required to get the WCs to communicate with Powerwalls. That could be done via software.

I bet this is the first step in integrating WC control with the rest of the Tesla Energy products. My guess is that the legacy WCs won't get the integration support so if you want it you would have to upgrade to WiFi enabled units.

Other things to note:
  • Limited to 48A capability.
  • Comes with a 18' cable. (No more choice of 8' or 25'.)
  • Tempered white glass faceplate. :rolleyes:
  • Power sharing amongst up to 16 WCs will be available in a future software update. (Sharing on both a branch and site level.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Utahken
I don't see anywhere that mentions/shows a RS485 connection. Where are you seeing that it still has it?
Item 1 in this picture in the manual.
Screenshot_20200115-173526_Drive.jpg

I bet this is the first step in integrating WC control with the rest of the Tesla Energy products. My guess is that the legacy WCs won't get the integration support so if you want it you would have to upgrade to WiFi enabled units.

Other things to note:
  • Limited to 48A capability.
  • Comes with a 18' cable. (No more choice of 8' or 25'.)
  • Tempered white glass faceplate. :rolleyes:
  • Power sharing amongst up to 16 WCs will be available in a future software update. (Sharing on both a branch and site level.)
I noticed the reduced max charge rate but didn't noticed those other features yet. I think 18' That would probably work for most people. That would be lame but not totally unexpected for a hardware upgrade to be required. I still think they could offer some additional communications functionality with software alone. While a software solution would require an internet connection, it could work 99.9% of the time and have logic to handle if there was no internet connection.

We won't be upgrading ours...unless they are offered as referral prizes. Lol. ;)

Unfortunately, there's no rotary dial to set the wall connector into slave mode so it appears that Gen 3 will not work with this project. I hope there will still be a way to order the Gen 2 unit somehow...
Maybe it will work as the master only. Just guessing... Then of course it won't work for sure with this project. So next project will be to hack the wifi protocol ,

Reactions: ai4px
I just know we're gunna hack the wifi and be able to control these units. Also, I wonder if they'll talk serially to the cars over the J1772 pilot signal and beable to tell us on an app what the SoC of a given car is? Or if they'll load balance based on SoC (ie the lowest battery gets priority).

I just know we're gunna hack the wifi and be able to control these units.

Maybe - they could encrypt the communications.

If anyone wants to sell a Gen 2, I need one. I have a PV system to be installed soon and was counting on controlling the charge rate to match excess solar production. The unexpected release of the Gen 3 and sudden phase out of the Gen 2 caught me at the wrong time - I was about to order in 2 weeks once the permits were approved.

Last edited:
Maybe - they could encrypt the communications.
If they follow their past model (cars, powerwall), that's what they'll do. All comms will be encrypted WC<->Tesla servers in the cloud. You'll register your WC's with Tesla, and provide a max power budget to split amongst them. If internet communication is lost, they'll default to (max power)/(# of WC on site), or something like that.

Hoping the RS-485 port allows the Gen 3 unit to act as a master and allow me to load share to my current Gen 2 unit. Went ahead and ordered a Gen 3 as I'm in the middle of wiring up the garage for a 2nd charger and already ran the cables. Currently only have one Tesla so if this isn't possible by the time we get a 2nd car I'll probably just upgrade the Gen 2.

The manual makes no mention of master or slave so that's a bad sign.

However, the web site says:

Wall Connector hosts a Wi-Fi network for easy configuration of breaker size, Wi-Fi connectivity, and power sharing. This Wi-Fi network is broadcast for five minutes after the Wall Connector is energized and can be re-enabled for an additional five minutes by holding the button on the handle of the charging cable.

The Quickstart Guide, included in the Wall Connector Box, has a sticker on the top of the front page with important information about this unique device, and should be kept with the owner after commissioning.

To connect to the Wall Connector’s access point with a smartphone or laptop, scan the QR code on the Quickstart Guide sticker, or manually connect to the Wi-Fi network with the SSID and Password provided.

After connecting to the Wall Connector access point, you may be automatically redirected to the commissioning wizard. If not, scan the QR code below or use your browser to navigate to http://192.168.92.1.​

So maybe you can change master/slave mode on the commissioning wizard.

Having only two rs485 ports doesn't prove it can't daisy chain with other TWCs by putting two wires in each port. The "in" and "out" ports on existing TWCs are mostly there for convenience of daisy chaining. The "in" and "out" sets are identical. You can plug into either one and there is zero resistance between the + terminals on in/out and - terminals on in/out.

I'll be receiving a gen3 in the next few days and let people know if it's still compatible with old rs485 when I get a chance.

Also, I committed a change to fix the display of multiple TWCs on the TWCManager web site.

Last edited:
Its a shame because i will of course lose connection and be unable to establish if a car is connected or not.

You could modify the TWC and put the contactor on the supply wires downstream of the unit. Alternatively you could cut the low power circuit to the contactor inside the TWC (It's just a standard ABB 4 pole unit normally used on DIN rails and there is a pair of thin wires used to actuate it).

Hey guys

I am new to this forum and I think this is an amazing project!
I would like to change it a bit, since I'm not using a Powerwall, but a TWC and have a huge solar array soon (25kWp). My inverter will give me a JSON-API to read-out it's realtime-data, so that should be easy.
Any remarks on what I should keep in mind? Any pointers where I must change methods in the code?

Thanks so much,
Raphael

I reached out to Tesla concerning the RS-485 port and here is both my question and their response:

I notice there is a RS-485 port on the Gen 3 wall connector. Is it possible (now or in the future) to connect this to the input of a Gen 2 wall connector and have them load balance with the Gen 3 as the master?

The Gen 3 Wall Connector won’t be able to load balance with the Gen 2 and it’s not something we’re planning on doing in the future.

I also reached out asking about the wiring protocol since up to four Gen 2 units could be junctioned to a single breaker but the Gen 3 manual wants a separate breaker for each unit. They confirmed that each unit will need to be on it's own breaker.

With that I'll be doing a bit of re-wiring. I had setup a junction box already that has three 6-gauge wires (two load, one ground) in a 3/4" conduit running from the breaker then branching off to two wall connector locations. Could somebody help me determine if it would be safe to upgrade that conduit to a 1" conduit with five 6-gauge wires (four load, one ground) for a two connector setup? A grounding block inside the junction box would then split the 6-gauge ground and dedicated load wires will continue on to the connectors. I'd be pulling 40 amps off 50 amp breakers, with possibly going up to 48 amps on 60 amp breakers later.

Alternatively I could just let the junction box serve one of the locations and just run a separate conduit for the other, just figured it would look cleaner running them both through the junction box as long as it is safe and up to code to do so.

This is all inside the garage in a dry location.

Reactions: Utahken