Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector to non-Tesla cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another consideration, probably deserving of a whole new thread, is whether the Tesla Wall Connector for Europe and Australia can charge other non-Tesla vehicles.

It can, provided the car adheres to the Mennekes/CC Combo 2 port timings about signals on CP (Proximity) versus CC (Charging). If you toggle the DIP switch that you mustn't toggle (according to the manual) to the "Legacy" setting (as per the TWC cover), then it's even more tolerant. Some cars are reported to still have problems, but they're usually the cars for which the TWC brings little profit (compared to charging over a single phase extended Schuko plug at 13A or an EEC plug at 16A).

But regardless of the input configuration it provides power to three phases on its output (my model 3 charges 11kW divided over the three phases, and the input to the TWC also uses 16A on three phases).

If you want to charge a car with one phase and more than 16A, you can (a Model X will use 25A over three phases), but then the upstream installation also needs to be rated higher (you don't want someone to plug in a Model X when the input is 16A on one phase and you put the output rotary switch to 25A or 32A...)

• Informative
Reactions: alexGS and GSP
I am another satisfied JDapter customer, available online from QuickChargePower dot com.

It allows me to use my low cost and very capable Tesla HPWC with any car at home. On the road, together with Tesla’s J1772 adapter, it makes a lightweight 40 Amp capable extension cord for my UMC (@TonyWilliams made a 60’ version for me).

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
That explains why the Euro CCS adapter is so cheap!
Does anyone know who manufactures the current Gen 2 UMC?
Just because Tesla buys from the cheapest supplier does not mean that they sell accessories cheaply. I'll eat my hat if Tesla's accessory list prices are anything less than triple the cost of manufacture. And I'm not criticizing Tesla for exploiting a profit center, all makers do. Porsche doesn't pay anywhere near $250 for its "official" jackets.

I meant to check out if it is legit sanctioned Tesla gear or some sort of bootleg concoction out of a shady corner of China.

I’ve never seen a picture of such a thing anywhere.
I do know they have shipped J1772 chargers with the same body/design as the TWC for various destination charging setups (i.e., 4 Tesla wall connector EVSE's and 1-2 J1772 ended TWC EVSE's to a single site). However I don't think I've ever seen them for sale though, just provided through the destination charging program. Pretty sure a number of people have rewired the ends of the regular TWC cables too, plus there's that adapter you can buy. But it does legitimately exist, it may just be only an internal product.