Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my Model Y Standard Range battery pack with an LFP pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y Standard Range that I bought almost exactly three years to the day from today - in March 2021, ordered in January 2021. In case you're not aware this was a very short lived version of the Model Y and was only offered for sale for about 6 weeks in early 2021. Nearly identical in every way to the LR model but with only rear wheel drive and 244 miles of range.

It's been at the service center for about two weeks with a battery issue. They called me yesterday and said that it's going to take a long time to get a replacement pack for my car (I presume there's not many of them around). Then they offered to replace my pack with a new LFP pack. Said they have most of the parts in stock and might be able to have it ready the next day. Asked me to come in and sign something to authorize that work.

Verbally they explained that the acceleration would be impacted by about .5 seconds on 0-60 and mentioned that they had to upgrade the suspension a bit to handle a little more weight. Also would get about 10 miles more range. I suggested that it would be just like the current RWD car with 260 miles and the advisor concurred.

I rushed over and signed it before they closed as I was excited to get my car back quickly.

Well today I get a message that they need another part and the ETA is about 1.5 weeks away. So I'll have to wait.

In the meantime I get to ponder if I'm really pleased with this deal or not.

Cons:

car will be heavier, slower, less efficient.. might go through tires sooner, might handle worse

Pros:

brand new battery pack, not refurbished
new pack better than my three year old pack which was not really delivering 244 miles on a full charge (not that I charged fully)
longer life span of battery since a) it's new and b) it's LFP

Since I've got time to wait and ponder, I wonder if I should accept this deal or push for something else (that might be better).

Any suggestions

1711165460107.png

I think If I was in that situation I would:

1. take the lfp battey or
2. see what if they would give me a special deal on trade in price on it, and get a AWD.

Since it sounds like you already signed for 1, that ship has likely sailed but I still think the LFP is better for that vehicle than what you have.

On topic: The LFP packs are totally bulletproof, great packs. You should definitely do it. Also you'll probably have the only LFP model Y in America. Like a double unicorn.

Off topic: I read somewhere that the early RWD Y existed, but I've never actually heard of anyone owning one... I always thought it was a myth. I'm super curious. Does it have a heat -pump, or the old PTC heater setup?

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Sounds really good. The only thing I would worry about is having a one off car and future maintenance. I would talk to the advisor about it. Otoh this seems like it must be common as our cars age and Tesla changes battery production.

Since I've got time to wait and ponder, I wonder if I should accept this deal or push for something else (that might be better).
Let’s see:
  • New battery, not refurbished.
  • Newer technology.
  • Free.
Why is there a question?

The only thing I would worry about is having a one off car and future maintenance. I would talk to the advisor about it.
Battery maintenance? What’s that?

Sounds really good. The only thing I would worry about is having a one off car and future maintenance. I would talk to the advisor about it. Otoh this seems like it must be common as our cars age and Tesla changes battery production.
I don’t think this should be a concern; it’s the same pack is the Model 3 RWD so it’s not uncommon.

I don’t think this should be a concern; it’s the same pack is the Model 3 RWD so it’s not uncommon.

There are no "SR Model 3s" anymore, it is now the "Model 3 RWD", and yes they are all LFP.

While this is true, those are model 3s and this is a model Y.

With as poorly as Tesla handles anything that is an exception to the normal process, put me also in the camp of being wary of owning anything Tesla that is a one off / non standard item.

There isnt much that has to do with "battery service", sure, but the car wont match a known sku. My concern around this centers more around how poorly Tesla in general handles "outside the box".

My risk tolerance (or lack thereof) wont let me put myself in that situation with Tesla (the company) since the company work flows are designed to remove humans as much as possible, and automate as much as possible, thereby making anything outside the box an effort for all involved (both the tesla workers and the owner of the product).

Even if I let them fix it, I would also likely sell (dump) the car not long after that, but thats just me, and my lack of faith in Tesla the company handling anything "one off" well.

Reactions: terranx
Even if I let them fix it, I would also likely sell (dump) the car not long after that, but thats just me, and my lack of faith in Tesla the company handling anything "one off" well.
Think about that before you make a decision. For every bad story about Tesla, there are 1,000+ good stories that are never told. Every car manufacture has the same.

If they put a new up to date battery in my 3 year old car I'd keep it and run the wheels off it. Next time it needed a battery I'd tape a signed title transfer in the window and park it on the side of the road figuring I'd gotten every penny out of it.

Last edited:

With as poorly as Tesla handles anything that is an exception to the normal process, put me also in the camp of being wary of owning anything Tesla that is a one off / non standard item.

There isnt much that has to do with "battery service", sure, but the car wont match a known sku. My concern around this centers more around how poorly Tesla in general handles "outside the box".

My risk tolerance (or lack thereof) wont let me put myself in that situation with Tesla (the company) since the company work flows are designed to remove humans as much as possible, and automate as much as possible, thereby making anything outside the box an effort for all involved (both the tesla workers and the owner of the product).

Just because you are paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you =)

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert

I dunno .. While a RWD LFP Y is unheard of here in the states, virtually every other market gets LFP RWD Ys. That config has probably been made in the hundreds of thousands. You're not going to be left on some abandoned branch of the Tesla tree or anything.