Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Watch App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

After some help with the Apple Watch app.

I’ve just downloaded it and set the background refresh for 5 hrs yet I noticed at the top it’s saying online or loading with a count up in brackets which goes to around 5/6 seconds and then changes constantly when in the app? Both Watch and iPhone do this. Is this right? Does this mean it is waking the car up every 5/6 seconds?

Also, how do you get a picture of your car on your watch? My watch face is blank in the middle where the car should be even though I’ve turned the radio button on for allow background picture but don’t see anywhere else to change. I have seen postings about adding a url but I don’t seem to have the option anywhere to do this?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

After some help with the Apple Watch app.

I’ve just downloaded it and set the background refresh for 5 hrs yet I noticed at the top it’s saying online or loading with a count up in brackets which goes to around 5/6 seconds and then changes constantly when in the app? Both Watch and iPhone do this. Is this right? Does this mean it is waking the car up every 5/6 seconds?

Also, how do you get a picture of your car on your watch? My watch face is blank in the middle where the car should be even though I’ve turned the radio button on for allow background picture but don’t see anywhere else to change. I have seen postings about adding a url but I don’t seem to have the option anywhere to do this?

Thanks in advance
The car icon is there once you go into the app, there are three different car pics you can add. But it also depends on what complication you chose in the watch face. Some watch face may not allow the car pics and so on. Just explore and find the best set up.

Just to clarify, I assume you’re referring to “Watch App for Tesla.” This isn’t an official Tesla app, though I have been using it since we got the car last year and it works a treat.
Yes it is. Tbh, I’m still finding my way with M3 LR having rejected an ipace that was just constantly braking down. The tech on the TESLA and charging ease is a million miles from the ipace world.

I’ve now got the app working and because my watch is cellular, it unlocks and allows drive without anything else although I’m still trusting going out with my phone only and nothing else never mind just a watch!

FYI, I’ve had my MYLR for almost two months. In that time I’ve had 3 or 4 times when the car stopped talking to Tesla servers (I waited 4-12 hours and it was only fixed by resetting the car — holding the two steering wheel buttons down). The main problem I noticed was the official Tesla app not showing current information (instead showing the hours since last data refresh).

During those incidents, Watch for Tesla also could not connect.

I mention this because I was thinking of using the watch app to lock/unlock my car during runs and races. After these incidents, I determined it wasn’t safe to rely on this if the car might end up in a disconnected state. I bought a key fob for running. But id love to be able to depend on just my Apple Watch.

I really hope Tesla comes out with an official watch app. And really what I want is Apple Car Key support:

Reactions: pow216 and RCMY
FYI, I’ve had my MYLR for almost two months. In that time I’ve had 3 or 4 times when the car stopped talking to Tesla servers (I waited 4-12 hours and it was only fixed by resetting the car — holding the two steering wheel buttons down). The main problem I noticed was the official Tesla app not showing current information (instead showing the hours since last data refresh).

During those incidents, Watch for Tesla also could not connect.

I mention this because I was thinking of using the watch app to lock/unlock my car during runs and races. After these incidents, I determined it wasn’t safe to rely on this if the car might end up in a disconnected state. I bought a key fob for running. But id love to be able to depend on just my Apple Watch.

I really hope Tesla comes out with an official watch app. And really what I want is Apple Car Key support:

Fully concur. If for example you park in an underground car park, the car may well not have cellular connectivity. The phone key works directly through BT, however Watch App for Tesla works via remote commands. Sadly, I doubt Tesla will add support for Car Key. I don’t think Musk is on talking terms with Apple.

Hey guys. I just posted this response in the Model Y forum, but thought I‘d repost it here for those who are not aware or do not currently have/use the “Watch App for Tesla” app on their watch.

The BIG BIG news is the developer just released an update (1.2.7), which when enabled, allows the app (on your watch) to connect directly to the vehicle via bluetooth and be registered as a separate/independent key fob. So, that means you no longer need your phone or physical key card to access/operate the vehicle (since your app/watch now connects to the vehicle by bluetooth). An internet/wifi connection is no longer needed. So, as the developer states in his latest release notes, your watch can be completely offline in the middle of the desert (no cellular or internet connection) and it will still work to open/operate your vehicle.
Of course, this means you can leave your phone or physical key card at home if you want to… although I would not recommend doing so since it’s always good to have a backup on hand just in case anything unexpected happens to your watch. I tested this new feature/functionality and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.

The app does cost a few dollars to download. I think it was around $4 a few years ago when I bought it. Not sure how much it costs now. Might be worth considering for some of you…

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just posted this response in the Model Y forum, but thought I‘d repost it here for those who are not aware or do not currently have/use the “Watch App for Tesla” app on their watch.

The BIG BIG news is the developer just released an update (1.2.7), which when enabled, allows the app (on your watch) to connect directly to the vehicle via bluetooth and be registered as a separate/independent key fob. So, that means you no longer need your phone or physical key card to access/operate the vehicle (since your app/watch now connects to the vehicle by bluetooth). An internet/wifi connection is no longer needed. So, as the developer states in his latest release notes, your watch can be completely offline in the middle of the desert (no cellular or internet connection) and it will still work to open/operate your vehicle.
Of course, this means you can leave your phone or physical key card at home if you want to… although I would not recommend doing so since it’s always good to have a backup on hand just in case anything unexpected happens to your watch. I tested this new feature/functionality and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.

The app does cost a few dollars to download. I think it was around $4 a few years ago when I bought it. Not sure how much it costs now. Might be worth considering for some of you…
It’s a fantastic update. Until now I’ve still carried a key card for the unlikely situation where I’m out of cellular range and my phone has died. I’ve already tested the direct BT connection from my Watch and it worked as advertised. It is now one of the keys registered in the car. Truly fantastic update.

It’s a fantastic update. Until now I’ve still carried a key card for the unlikely situation where I’m out of cellular range and my phone has died. I’ve already tested the direct BT connection from my Watch and it worked as advertised. It is now one of the keys registered in the car. Truly fantastic update.
they want £18 for it now.. heh, that's some serious inflation.

Is it a security flaw? I had to use a key card to authorise the Watch as a key. It shows up as “Other” on the keys list, so they’re obviously aware people will use items other than key cards and phones as keys.
It's spoofing what the app does. There's many issues with the way tesla are currently implementing BLE at the moment including their use of public private keys etc, and not seeking full authentication. The watch is outside the remit of Teslas control and if they feel that is a security risk, they'll shut it down. A 3rd party shouldn't be able to do what they're doing.

You can argue the same about the API, but all those commands have to pass through Tesla servers and they have control and the ability to veto, and they're previously expired all the tokens when they suspected a breach.

.If you want to investigate more then you can head over here

There are a number of alternatives, including google play and all of them cheaper

Last edited:
New feature worked well, today. Got back to the car with a load of shopping. Car wouldn’t unlock. Rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket to turn BT off and back on again, I opened the Watch app from the complication I keep on the watch face and the car unlocked straight away. Same again for starting the car. Absolute winner.