Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't remove FSD from used vehicles for sale, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has found a used Model 3 (direct from Tesla) and been able to get them to remove FSD and just sell with standard AP.... if so, how much were you discounted?

Tesla tries to standardize their sales method.

So if they remove or add some features, they would do that to the whole fleet.

An example is cars with HW2/HW2.5 and Enhanced Autopilot. After Tesla got them into their possession, they would strip all the "Enhanced Autopilot" away in their whole fleet that has HW2/HW2.5.

I imagine you can negotiate with a salesperson to customize your purchase according to your wish and you might get lucky.

Tesla tries to standardize their sales method.

So if they remove or add some features, they would do that to the whole fleet.

An example is cars with HW2/HW2.5 and Enhanced Autopilot. After Tesla got them into their possession, they would strip all the "Enhanced Autopilot" away in their whole fleet that has HW2/HW2.5.

I imagine you can negotiate with a salesperson to customize your purchase according to your wish and you might get lucky.

Well I know Tesla will remove FSD from inventory new vehicles if you ask, but I wasn't sure about used ones...

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Interesting question. When I went to test drive a Model 3, they said I could test drive a Model S with any configuration from any previous year. It's pretty amazing what these cars can do. I imagine you could tell Tesla to remove it for a discount.

Tesla currently has one used Model 3 SR+ for sale. It’s listed with FSD for $42,700. Because they are including FSD in the price my guess is they would not be willing to remove it. It’s not clear how much they would need to discount it if they did. The price to purchase it is $7K but I don’t see them removing $7K of margin from the car when it’s the only used Model 3 they have for sale in the entire country.

If Tesla was flooded with used Model 3’s I would think they might be a little more flexible.

Tesla currently has one used Model 3 SR+ for sale. It’s listed with FSD for $42,700. Because they are including FSD in the price my guess is they would not be willing to remove it. It’s not clear how much they would need to discount it if they did. The price to purchase it is $7K but I don’t see them removing $7K of margin from the car when it’s the only used Model 3 they have for sale in the entire country.

If Tesla was flooded with used Model 3’s I would think they might be a little more flexible.

They had two LR AWDs in Washington state that both had FSD on them. I think with FSD being removed they would be $43k (assuming $7k knocked off).

I wasn’t really entertaining it since I don’t know what kind of trade value they would give me on my SR+ .... but if it was KBB “good” or better (“good” is apparently what they give non-Tesla trades) it might actually be a possibility...

It certainly has me thinking if I find another LR RWD or AWD with 10-13k miles and FSD could be removed...

They had two LR AWDs in Washington state that both had FSD on them. I think with FSD being removed they would be $43k (assuming $7k knocked off).

I wasn’t really entertaining it since I don’t know what kind of trade value they would give me on my SR+ .... but if it was KBB “good” or better (“good” is apparently what they give non-Tesla trades) it might actually be a possibility...

It certainly has me thinking if I find another LR RWD or AWD with 10-13k miles and FSD could be removed...

I just don’t see them removing FSD on their used inventory. It would reduce their profit margin by $7K since FSD cost them nothing. If it doesn’t sell at the $50K ask price they might just reduce it by $1K-$2K and wait for a buyer who is willing to take it with FSD.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Does the Tesla chat actually connect you during business hours to anyone working with Tesla, or is it an outsourced "general questions" (like request call back, etc) to people that have zero knowledge about Tesla?

They helped me out great. Problem resolved in 24 hours. Paul knew what company he worked for.

No idea on OPs question on thread, but if I was tesla, I absolutely WOULD remove FSD if requested (but would only reduce the price of the car about 2k.. maybe 2500 tops). Would give me a chance to sell FSD on that VIN number again for the full price in the future. It also would not reduce the price of the car that much at that amount of credit.

Of course, then what would happen is, people would flood the forums stating how "unfair" I was at reducing the price of FSD only 2k to 2500 when I am going to sell it again for 7k, so on second thought, to avoid all that headache and drama, I would likely just say "no, sorry we can add it to the car but will not be removing it to reduce the pricing. If you want the features removed we can do that for you but the price of the car will be the same".

I don’t think it’s fair to remove 7K off the car for opting out of FSD however residualizing it as a portion of the sale price vs current MSRP equivalent would be okay.
Isn’t FSD $7k right now though? I assume Tesla doesn’t value the trade in at full price for the software, even with Musk’s thought of “its going to get more expensive”.