Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wont replace wall connector with non functional LEDs under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reseated the ribbon cable and we are good to go here. Still can’t believe the ineptitude of the wall support customer service.
They definitely should have told you to try this, for sure. Its also not good that you mention they were rude. With both of those things said, it sounds like they were right that it wasnt broken and didnt need an RMA, although that sounds like I am making an excuse for them being rude and I am not.

They definitely should have told you to try this, for sure. Its also not good that you mention they were rude. With both of those things said, it sounds like they were right that it wasnt broken and didnt need an RMA, although that sounds like I am making an excuse for them being rude and I am not.
We can agree to disagree on this one. I should not have to disassemble a product and fix it myself if it's still under warranty. After four years... fair game - I'll tear that thing apart and frankenstein it if I have to... under warranty = unacceptable.

No OEM is perfect. I’d rather work with Tesla’s service for the car and have them do things like this for a part instead of having to deal with a dealer when buying a car and their overpriced service.

Incidentally, the Rivian EVSE that I recently bought works perfectly to their spec … and lights up the entire garage and then some with the 15(!) green LEDs they put in there as a useless accent.

I’ll also note that the Tesla EVSE is by far the cheapest high quality EVSE on the market and it has great functionality with their built in load sharing. And I just read they are about to roll out a new option where it can monitor household power usage and basically load share with your entire panel. Now that’s a useful feature for people with small panels!

Last edited:
And I just read they are about to roll out a new option where it can monitor household power usage and basically load share with your entire panel. Now that’s a useful feature for people with small panels!

That's great. A couple clip-on coils and a wifi link to the HPWC. $50 in parts completely destroys the other $1000 solutions(plus installation cost)!
You guys got a link? I searched, but didn't find anything.

You guys got a link? I searched, but didn't find anything.
I saw it mentioned in I think a random twitter post. They said they had found a new part in a Gen3 Wall Connector Tesla part catalog that was a CT coil to enable load sharing. I didn't bother to bookmark the post since I thought I'd read more about it soon. And now I can't refind the link.

No OEM is perfect. I’d rather work with Tesla’s service for the car and have them do things like this for a part instead of having to deal with a dealer when buying a car and their overpriced service.

Incidentally, the Rivian EVSE that I recently bought works perfectly to their spec … and lights up the entire garage and then some with the 15(!) green LEDs they put in there as a useless accent.

I’ll also note that the Tesla EVSE is by far the cheapest high quality EVSE on the market and it has great functionality with their built in load sharing. And I just read they are about to roll out a new option where it can monitor household power usage and basically load share with your entire panel. Now that’s a useful feature for people with small panels!
I agree nothing is perfect. I'd rather having no lights than the, there is clearly something wrong with me, light show I was getting. It wasnt bright or faint, in sync or methodical. Just random flashes of all lights, sometime bright sometimes dim. I am a person who uses the lights. My charger is mounted in my garage with the cable going through the wall to the exterior of my house to charge my M3 in my driveway. I will infrequently open the garage door to check on the status of the charger, based on the LED's. In short, the lights are functional for me, not just an accent. I agree the price is great for these chargers, but still not CHEAP. All in all, it worked out for me, with some inconvenience on my end that should have been handled by Tesla, in my opinion (not crying a river, just making a point).

I bought a Gen 3 wall charger and have been having issues with the LED's. They would do this crazy flicker flash dance like Kevin Bacon in footloose. Completely not normal LED patterns. I would also come out in the morning and the lights would be completely OFF. However the charger would charge the car normally without any issue. I've spend a few weeks emailing wall support and going through countless troubleshooting without a fix. So I give them a call yesterday and basically ask if we can move forward with a warranty replacement. I was told that the charger didnt qualify to be replaced because it was "doing its job and charging the car". I was told that I dont need to see the LEDs to charge the car and they wouldnt replace the charger just because the LED's dont work. So frustrating to spend such an amount of money to not have all of the features of a product not working. I've called back 2 other times and they basically are now scolding me for trying to get a different outcome when someone already told me NO. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by this. Tesla customer service at its finest.
File complaint with Better Business Bureau ? I am thinking that kind of blinking could cause seizures in some people.