Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wont replace wall connector with non functional LEDs under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Gen 3 wall charger and have been having issues with the LED's. They would do this crazy flicker flash dance like Kevin Bacon in footloose. Completely not normal LED patterns. I would also come out in the morning and the lights would be completely OFF. However the charger would charge the car normally without any issue. I've spend a few weeks emailing wall support and going through countless troubleshooting without a fix. So I give them a call yesterday and basically ask if we can move forward with a warranty replacement. I was told that the charger didnt qualify to be replaced because it was "doing its job and charging the car". I was told that I dont need to see the LEDs to charge the car and they wouldnt replace the charger just because the LED's dont work. So frustrating to spend such an amount of money to not have all of the features of a product not working. I've called back 2 other times and they basically are now scolding me for trying to get a different outcome when someone already told me NO. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by this. Tesla customer service at its finest.

Attachments

• IMG_3469.jpeg
    IMG_3469.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3475.jpeg
    IMG_3475.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Its a trivial exercise to get the cover off the HPWC and try to disconnect/reconnect the LED panel and see if you can just fix it yourself. If you can't get it working yourself I'm not saying to do anything unethical, but there's lots of small components in there that would definitely not like having a screwdriver prying at them.

Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained! describes the disassembly. There's no need to put all the covers back on to test it out, but don't be touching the exposed silver bars in there once its connected to 240V. Don't rely on the friction with the baseplate to keep the unit on the wall.... put at least one of the upper mounting screws in.

The connector for the LED ribbon cable can be released by gently lifting the top part of the connector further from the board at both edges(if we assume the HPWC is laying flat on a table). I can take a picture if you like.

To be clear, I think this HPWC failure SHOULD be covered under warranty.

I bought a Gen 3 wall charger and have been having issues with the LED's. They would do this crazy flicker flash dance like Kevin Bacon in footloose. Completely not normal LED patterns. I would also come out in the morning and the lights would be completely OFF. However the charger would charge the car normally without any issue. I've spend a few weeks emailing wall support and going through countless troubleshooting without a fix. So I give them a call yesterday and basically ask if we can move forward with a warranty replacement. I was told that the charger didnt qualify to be replaced because it was "doing its job and charging the car". I was told that I dont need to see the LEDs to charge the car and they wouldnt replace the charger just because the LED's dont work. So frustrating to spend such an amount of money to not have all of the features of a product not working. I've called back 2 other times and they basically are now scolding me for trying to get a different outcome when someone already told me NO. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by this. Tesla customer service at its finest.
I have have a LED circuit board lying around (came from a broken Gen 3 Wall Connector that I bought for the charge cable). I believe it works, but no guarantee. If you want to try swapping it out yourself, I can mail it to you in a padded envelope. It's easy to do. Just PM me your mailing address.

Maybe contact legal? That tends to spook companies doing dumb stuff.
Maybe send a certified letter demanding they honor the warranty depending on the response.

If you're REALLY bored, you can small claims them for the cost of the charger (and reinstall if you're not doing the swap yourself).

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I have have a LED circuit board lying around (came from a broken Gen 3 Wall Connector that I bought for the charge cable). I believe it works, but no guarantee. If you want to try swapping it out yourself, I can mail it to you in a padded envelope. It's easy to do. Just PM me your mailing address.
Very kind and gracious of you. I will try taking it apart and re-seating the ribbon cable. If that fails I will take you up on this offer. Much appreciated.

Maybe contact legal? That tends to spook companies doing dumb stuff.
Maybe send a certified letter demanding they honor the warranty depending on the response.

If you're REALLY bored, you can small claims them for the cost of the charger (and reinstall if you're not doing the swap yourself).
Im actually really more pissed off that they get over on people like this. Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to say that the charger is doing its job by charging the car, everything else, all other features, dont matter. It's not the end of the world, but come on... its broken and in warranty, this shouldnt be an issue.

Im actually really more pissed off that they get over on people like this. Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to say that the charger is doing its job by charging the car, everything else, all other features, dont matter. It's not the end of the world, but come on... its broken and in warranty, this shouldnt be an issue.

A bored customer service rep, seriously.

Escalate if you haven't already, and then ask tesla legal.

I forgot the most amusing part... After she told me that the lights dont matter as long as it's charging the car, i assimilated that to "is it ok if my model 3's screen stopped working, but it still drove me from point A to point B?" She hung up on me after that. Thats not apples to apples but trying to get my point across in dramatic fashion.

I forgot the most amusing part... After she told me that the lights dont matter as long as it's charging the car, i assimilated that to "is it ok if my model 3's screen stopped working, but it still drove me from point A to point B?" She hung up on me after that. Thats not apples to apples but trying to get my point across in dramatic fashion.
there should be some type of consumer protection agency in your states to make a complaint

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Sounds like [warning, speculation alert] a young person, maybe an intern, who's been given too much control without proper supervision. I can imagine that's she's rolling her eyes while saying "like isn't it obvious that it works, your car charges right". Look at your warranty in detail. Look for words to make a strong argument that can't be ignore. If that doesn't work ... I don't know.

Last edited:
Sounds like [warning, speculation alert] a young person, maybe an intern, who's been given too much control without proper supervision. I can imagine that's she's rolling her eyes while saying "like isn't it obvious that it works, your car charges right". Look at your warranty in detail. Look for words to make a strong argument that can't be ignore. If that doesn't work ... I don't know.
That’s exactly how I picture her!! The issue is she made a mark on my account that every other customer service person sees, saying not to replace the charger it works.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056