Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X - dangerous Cruise control, Autopilot and Self driving..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news, the 17.17.4 update for AP2 came down last night. Went for a test drive this morning and luckily everything is working. This was the first time in three weeks the "cruise not available" bug didn't show up. Cruise control and autopilot work great and the automatic dimming headlights now work. The release notes say automatic emergency breaking is active and the limitation on the 35 mph on local roads has been lifted, now it will go 5 mph over the speed limit like AP1 cars. Still no rain sensing wipers. Car drove great, very stable. No wavy lines, no bouncing between the lanes. I'll do more testing today to see how it takes sharper curves.

Did some more driving this morning. AP2 drives very well but not as stable as AP1 yet. It "sees" the lines well and guesses where lines should be on roads with no lines better than AP1 but does not seem to be programed to stay between the lines as well. You can feel the car swerving slightly to stay between the lines and a few times it tried to jerked itself over the lines for no good reason. Still need to keep your hand on the wheel.

Time to kill this thread. Auto pilot will never be for everyone, referring to ppl that do not understand tech enough to trust it. One inkling of uncertainty and the car is trying to kill them. Even if it is perceived uncertainty. For example, I had such a person in my X with me. My X saw that a car in front of the car in front of us slammed on its brakes. The X started breaking hard as designed. The car in front of me luckily was able to avoid a collision by swirving to the right. I was then able avoid as well. I am thinking how impressive that was. The other person in the car freaked out and said My X tried to kill us. Even after I explained the tech and the behavior the X was designed to do, they still was very upset with how the X reacted. So....not for everyone even though the car was actually protecting us.

Reactions: boaterva