Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X - dangerous Cruise control, Autopilot and Self driving..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short;
I am now an owner of a Tesla X, new car with all the Self driving gadgets available. However; after having used the car for a couple of weeks I am shocked; the Cruise control, the Autopilot/selfdriving is nothing but very dangerous - it has done all it can to kill me several times...

I was testdring the X back in November last year; a car with only the "Old" system (1 camera etc) - a strange thing is that this car was 100 times better in running on cruise and self-driving than the new car (which should be far superior). I have been in contact with Tesla numerous times; but not helo whatsoever... On direct question to Telsa HQ if this was due to the ongoing "law-suit" and that the old system had been disengaged and that they were now building the system fra scratch - I only had the brief answer; I am not allowed to comment on that but can understand your quenstion... and yes; we do have some upgrading to do....

Tesla and Musk; this is not good enough... you have misled the market and have presently a software version that does not match the hardware and that is making use of itnothing but dangerous - very dangerous. Not least; you are selling (for big money) a system that is not delivering what it is expected to!

I have AP2 and find it very useful. There are a few things I've noticed. Normally, when passing a car in the center lane, I would cheat a little away from the car in the center creating a larger zone of separation. Tesla doesn't do this making things close and relying more on the other driver not to drift. This could probably be an easy software fix. I also know that approaching a stopped car while you're going fast is risky as the Tesla picks up the stopped car late. Life is full of quirks. Just learn to accommodate them and with time things like this usually improve.

I think if the OP had done a little research on the forum instead of posting out of emotion, he/she would have discovered that this has been hashed about quite a bit and could have joined a conversation with the same group of people that are having troubles with AP2...

Congratulations on your first post.

Reactions: X Fan and travis010
I was driving my recently acquired X last night and decided to use the AP. The AP was fine, what bothered me was disengaging it on the control lever. Coming from a MS, the MS has a button that you can press to turn off both AP and cruise control at the same time, the MX does not have this button and it's pretty dangerous where you have to disengage both the AP and Cruise control separately, I know that I could have tapped the brakes but I had gotten use to the button feature and found it really useful and sort of panicked when I discovered the MX didn't have the button feature like the MS. I guess even going from one Tesla to another, it's not as seamless as one would have thought.

Also I noticed that the DRL feature is missing from the MX and I have to leave it on Parking lights to turn on the DRLs unlike the MS. Just a few adjustments to get used to and a slightly different learning curve.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
To disengage AP without the little button, just push the level forward (towards the front of the car). This disengages both TACC and Autosteer.

Also, I believe DRL is inactive if you are in Range Mode. Check whether you're in Range Mode.

Thanks VBXATL, I discovered that last night lol. I'm not in Range mode, it's never on. There isn't a DRL option on the lights part of the screen like the MS. Just something I noticed.

After about 65 training miles, the AP2 turned on and when driving down the freeway at 55, the car swerved back and forth within its lane. I thought, "take a video, it will never be this bad again".

I was right, the 2017 90D never did that again as the vehicle improved with each mile driven. With the latest updates, the accuracy at times is stunning. It still has a few quirks, but that keeps us all holding the wheel and watching the road ahead.

it has done all it can to kill me several times...

Saying AP2 is quirky and not reliable is one thing, but somehow dramatizing it by stating, "It tried to kill me.." is a typical language of a troll. Exaggerations and trying to get attention by using those 'troll' phrases will get you ignored quickly.

Interestingly the same exact same phrases were used by a few for AP1 also.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the AP2 system is being rebuilt from scratch. Elon said (I think during one of the investor calls) that he had hoped that Mobileye would be part of the transition from AP1 to AP2, but when that relationship dissolved, Tesla had to move forward on its own. The original "December" estimate for AP2 parity was likely based on those original transition plans that included Mobileye.

In my experience, AP1 autosteer is smoother, with less "ping-ponging" between lines than AP2. And AP2 autosteer does occasionally do unexpected things that require me to take control, particularly on local roads. However, AP2 summon is more predictable and more precise than AP1 summon, at least within my garage. TACC performance is about the same on AP1/AP2.

I see it differently: that Tesla Vision has come this far in this short period of time--without the help from Mobileye and with brand new hardware--is a testament to their engineering teams. I do think Tesla could have been more transparent about the change in plans, but I appreciate that they're being conservative with the rollout of features, rather than rushing to meet deadlines.

Reactions: tinc
...scratch...

Remembere AP1 Autosteer was not released for a whole 1 year?

Yes, AP2 started from zero since 10/2016.

The low speed 35 mph AP2 autosteer were first released for a first 1,000 owners since 12/31/2016.

The system is getting better and better.

Yes, it is dangerous if you don't supervise AP2 or AP1 (except there's no deaths for AP2 so far.)

In my experience, AP1 autosteer is smoother, with less "ping-ponging" between lines than AP2. And AP2 autosteer does occasionally do unexpected things that require me to take control, particularly on local roads. However, AP2 summon is more predictable and more precise than AP1 summon, at least within my garage. TACC performance is about the same on AP1/AP2.

I just got to take a joyride in an X with AP1 and was very surprised at how smooth it was...smoother than my hands are capable of, for sure! I think anyone who has AP2 knows they are part of a beta program (as outlined on the ordering page) that is subject to change. I read Tesla's response to the whole lawsuit thing & auto-braking and whatnot the other day...they would rather get it right & hold off on releasing it than put something half-baked out. As a software dev, I agree with that. Rushing something to a live production environment is only going to multiply the problems they have to deal with.

I understand why people are pushing the lawsuit, but I don't agree with it. If you want solid, turnkey hardware, go buy something with an EyeSight equivalent that will work as advertised for as long as you have the car. If you want the future & don't mind some speedbumps along the way, buy a Tesla. I find it a bit hard to believe than anyone would spend the required amount of money on a Tesla, knowing the status of their AP program, and then go & create a lawsuit over it, knowing that they bought an iterative design :p

Reactions: travis010