Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- The air inlet at /under the front bumper has dampers, when you turn on recirc, those close. Turn off recirc, they open. This surprised me
I have a 2016 X with PUP and bioweapon defense mode. Can anyone help me confirm how the air venting modes work? Any corrections are appreciated.

1) AC on, recirculate on
The inlets under the bumper close, stopping most outside air from entering the cabin. Outside air slowly leaks in to the cabin through the door seals and various cracks. Fans push the air inside the cabin through the AC system, and through the smaller cabin filter, near the glove box.

2) AC on, recirculate off
The inlets under the bumper open, enabling outside air to flow through the huge HEPA filter and into the cabin. If fan speed is set to a lower setting like 5, then air from outside leaks into the cabin through door seals and various cracks (not through HEPA filter). Fans push the air inside the cabin through the AC system, and through the smaller cabin filter, near the glove box.

3) Bioweapon defense mode
Exactly the same as #2 above, but the fan speed is set to high (like speed 9 or 11), so there is positive pressure inside the cabin. There is barely any outdoor air leaking into the cabin through door seals and cracks. Instead, all the outdoor is entering the cabin through the huge HEPA filter.

I have a 2016 X with PUP and bioweapon defense mode. Can anyone help me confirm how the air venting modes work? Any corrections are appreciated.

1) AC on, recirculate on
The inlets under the bumper close, stopping most outside air from entering the cabin. Outside air slowly leaks in to the cabin through the door seals and various cracks. Fans push the air inside the cabin through the AC system, and through the smaller cabin filter, near the glove box.

The inlets under the bumper open, enabling outside air to flow through the huge HEPA filter and into the cabin. If fan speed is set to a lower setting like 5, then air from outside leaks into the cabin through door seals and various cracks (not through HEPA filter). Fans push the air inside the cabin through the AC system, and through the smaller cabin filter, near the glove box.

Exactly the same as #2 above, but the fan speed is set to high (like speed 9 or 11), so there is positive pressure inside the cabin. There is barely any outdoor air leaking into the cabin through door seals and cracks. Instead, all the outdoor is entering the cabin through the huge HEPA filter.
I think you'll see a lot of conflicting information on this, and if you're observant, you'll be able to confirm that a lot of it is wrong. Many people don't believe that any air comes into the cabin without going through the filter, and many people don't believe that the filter is anything more than a HEPA filter. Because I am allergic to a lot of things and sensitive to a lot of others, I can tell you with very little doubt that plenty of air bypasses the HEPA filter when bioweapon defense mode is off and that bioweapon defense mode seems to remove things that a HEPA filter doesn't (I say "seems to" because I have to admit I'm generally driving at highway speeds, so it is at least somewhat feasible that the positive pressure clears the cabin while the outside source is already out of range). From my observations, I can tell you that bioweapon defense mode seems to activate the compressor even though I'm not sure why that would be relevant. I can also tell you that recirc is forced on when the fan speed is increased to 10 or 11 and that I generally see bioweapon defense mode run at 9 with recirc off. Those observations are on recent software versions (v9+), I don't remember v8 (version where you had more precise control over HVAC functionality and could have only part of the settings [compressor, fan, airflow direction, recirc] be auto vs having auto functionality be all-or-nothing like it is now) well enough to tell you whether or not it was different (part of me thinks it was possible to run fans at 10 or 11 without recirc in v8, and bioweapon defense mode might have used 10 or 11 then; part of me also thinks that it was possible to use bioweapon defense mode without the compressor back then as well, but I don't understand why they would have restricted all of these possibilities later on if the system originally allowed them).

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
So today I purchased the HEPA filter (1045566-00-H) for $220 plus tax and installed in in my 2016 AP1 MX (without bioweapon defense mode). I took some pictures if anyone is interested. Observations:
- turns out my MX already had a HEPA filter (1045566-00-D), to my surprise. Was super dirty though.
- installation took half hour or so (on my own), no biggie.
- The air inlet at /under the front bumper has dampers, when you turn on recirc, those close. Turn off recirc, they open. This surprised me because I and others thought that the air coming into the hepa filter (located behind the frunk basket) is just coming in randomly from the area around / underneath the frunk basket, which seems open to the ... road below.
- It seems the outlet air is somehow coming back all the way to the front of the car again, so perhaps recirculated air also goes through the HEPA filter? Would be weird
The fresh air inlet to the HEPA filter is NOT under or at the the front bumper! The air inlet is upwards where the Tesla "T" is and the air is guided down and backwards to the filter.
The air under or at the bumper is for cooling purposes of cooling water etc.

The fresh air inlet to the HEPA filter is NOT under or at the the front bumper! The air inlet is upwards where the Tesla "T" is and the air is guided down and backwards to the filter.
The air under or at the bumper is for cooling purposes of cooling water etc.
Ok so let me clarify what I misstated.

There is some sort of damper near the front bumper that opens/closes based on the recirc mode. There seems to be some air return pathway that goes through there. I should have said that's also where the air inlet is. But that damper clearly helps control where the air comes from.

I think you'll see a lot of conflicting information on this, and if you're observant, you'll be able to confirm that a lot of it is wrong. Many people don't believe that any air comes into the cabin without going through the filter, and many people don't believe that the filter is anything more than a HEPA filter. Because I am allergic to a lot of things and sensitive to a lot of others, I can tell you with very little doubt that plenty of air bypasses the HEPA filter when bioweapon defense mode is off and that bioweapon defense mode seems to remove things that a HEPA filter doesn't (I say "seems to" because I have to admit I'm generally driving at highway speeds, so it is at least somewhat feasible that the positive pressure clears the cabin while the outside source is already out of range). From my observations, I can tell you that bioweapon defense mode seems to activate the compressor even though I'm not sure why that would be relevant. I can also tell you that recirc is forced on when the fan speed is increased to 10 or 11 and that I generally see bioweapon defense mode run at 9 with recirc off. Those observations are on recent software versions (v9+), I don't remember v8 (version where you had more precise control over HVAC functionality and could have only part of the settings [compressor, fan, airflow direction, recirc] be auto vs having auto functionality be all-or-nothing like it is now) well enough to tell you whether or not it was different (part of me thinks it was possible to run fans at 10 or 11 without recirc in v8, and bioweapon defense mode might have used 10 or 11 then; part of me also thinks that it was possible to use bioweapon defense mode without the compressor back then as well, but I don't understand why they would have restricted all of these possibilities later on if the system originally allowed them).
I don't think that bioweapon mode off vs on is somehow intentionally changing where the air comes into the car. My understanding is that the intentional part of the path of air into the HVAC is always through the filter(s), and bioweapon mode additionally achieves a positive pressure in the cabin which prevents/reduces air coming into the car from all the other gaps (because the air wants to push out). My wife says this is how labs and other hepa-certified clean rooms work too.

1) AC on, recirculate on

I would just add that there must be an intentional air outlet in the car somewhere as well. With that in mind:
1) AC on, recirc on: Air that's already in the car goes toward the outlets, outlets are closed, air circles back around to the front of the car near the inlets, which are also closed, and from there through the filters and back around. In the meantime various leaks occur.
2) AC on, recirc off: Outside air is allowed into the inlet path, then through the filters, through the cabin, toward the outlets, and out of the car. Various other leaks occur and I suspect it depends on how fast you are going and other parameters whether those leaks are inward or outward or both. Like when you drive with your trunk open in an ICE car and the exhaust fumes get sucked into your cabin.
3) Bioweapon: I think it's like 2, but some magic happens to positively pressurize the cabin. For instance I speculate the inlets are open, the outlets are closed or partially closed, so air goes in, through the filter, pressure builds up in the cabin, forces its way out through cracks but the positive pressure is maintained because more and more new (outside) air continues to get forced into the cabin

It would be great to get confirmation on how bioweapon actually works.

I don't think that bioweapon mode off vs on is somehow intentionally changing where the air comes into the car. My understanding is that the intentional part of the path of air into the HVAC is always through the filter(s), and bioweapon mode additionally achieves a positive pressure in the cabin which prevents/reduces air coming into the car from all the other gaps (because the air wants to push out). My wife says this is how labs and other hepa-certified clean rooms work too.
I don't know if BWDM changes inbound air routes or not, but I do know that my service center told me that the cabin air filter needs changed regularly, while the BWDM filter can go years without being changed depending on how much you use BWDM, and that there will be an in-vehicle notice when it needs changed (this is likely yet another feature that wouldn't exist without the BWDM software component enabled). Since recirc isn't used exclusively outside of BWDM, this could imply that air can bypass that filter when the mode is not activated, but it could also only imply that BWDM significantly increases the amount of air constantly going through the filter in order to maintain positive pressure. My understanding is that service manual schematics don't show an alternative ducted route for air to come in, so it is unlikely to exist.
I would just add that there must be an intentional air outlet in the car somewhere as well.
Yes, there is, and that is not unique to Tesla, it is normal HVAC design for modern vehicles. The exhaust is usually toward the rear of the vehicle on one side or the other, hidden by body panels or taillights.
For instance I speculate the inlets are open, the outlets are closed or partially closed
That is a neat idea, and one that could potentially be confirmed by looking at service manuals or schematics (either the exhaust component is powered, or that doesn't happen). Perhaps someone with access will chime in.

Also, if you weren't aware, Musk has tweeted that there are other components (besides HEPA) involved in BWDM to remove things other than particulate matter (I typically enable it for skunk and sewage smells, but as I mentioned earlier, it's difficult to say if it is removing them while I'm still in them or only clearing the cabin much quicker as I've already driven past them). I have linked to some of those tweets in discussion somewhere on this forum, and I believe others have replied with additional tweets. In spite of this, many continue to insist it's "just a HEPA filter and high fan speed."

Derkan said:
Ok so let me clarify what I misstated.

There is some sort of damper near the front bumper that opens/closes based on the recirc mode. There seems to be some air return pathway that goes through there. I should have said that's also where the air inlet is. But that damper clearly helps control where the air comes from.

Ok, I think those only have something to do with the cooling of coolant and not with the inlet air to the cabin. I have disassembled the front inlet from the "T" to the HEPAfilter and I could not see any obstruction for the air to come right away to the filter itself.
From the "T" the air goes down trough a coarse mesh and then about 90-100 degrees horizontally rearwards above the shielding for water and AC fan and their heat exchangers. Then directly to the HEPAfilter connected to the duct ending in the cabin blower and filter.

How do you know that the so called dampers react when recirc. mode? I thought that the recirc. mode is controlled by a shut down flap valve in the cabin blower unit.

When the BWDM is actuated the fan is running high and recirc. off creating an overpressure in the cabin because there are restrictions for the air to escape from cabin. So the only air coming in into cabin is through the HEPAfilter. The filtered air will go through the cabin and leaving in the left side of the trunk to outside.

That is how I understood the functions, may be I am wrong!

How do you know that the so called dampers react when recirc. mode? I thought that the recirc. mode is controlled by a shut down flap valve in the cabin blower unit.

When the BWDM is actuated the fan is running high and recirc. off creating an overpressure in the cabin because there are restrictions for the air to escape from cabin. So the only air coming in into cabin is through the HEPAfilter. The filtered air will go through the cabin and leaving in the left side of the trunk to outside.

That is how I understood the functions, may be I am wrong!
I know because... remove the frunk bottom. Now you see the HEPA filter. Now just toggle recirc on / off and watch that flap/valve open and close.

BTW service had told me:
- MX without the BWDM do not have HEPA filters
- HEPA filters cannot be easily added to MX without the BWDM option
- There are carbon filters behind the HEPA filters / or in MX without BWDM, those same carbon filters are the only cabin filters.

So that comment above about "if you have BWDM, the BWDM filter will need changing regularly" could mean: Change the HEPA filter regularly. Obviously BWDM runs on high fan speed and would clog the filter(s) a bit faster than lower fan speeds.

Here is what I found out regarding the myths the SC told me:
- my MX, with no BWDM, still had the HEPA filter.
- I simply bought a new HEPA filter from tesla, and easily replaced the one I didn't even know existed. The replacement filter, clearly labeled HEPA, has the same part number as the original factory filter, also clearly labeled HEPA (I think the last character was different)

• Helpful
Ok, could you please, in detail tell me where to look for the flap/ valves when frunk is removed?
Well I can tell you that next time I replace my filter. I would suggest, remove the frunk bottom, and just turn on/off recirc, look down you should see it because it was easy to see.

I found this video:
at 9:22 min, I think the flap thingy was visible there.

BTW the video reminds me that the hepa filter assembly has a case and black filters stuck behind it, presumably the carbon filters, so perhaps the hepa and carbon filters are all together unlike what one tesla guy had told me.

the video reminds me that the hepa filter assembly has a case and black filters stuck behind it, presumably the carbon filters, so perhaps the hepa and carbon filters are all together
I just had the HEPA filter and cabin filter replaced on my X at Tesla service center in SoCal. I asked the service advisor to replace the cabin filter, the HEPA filter, and the carbon filters. He replied that "the cabin filter and the carbon filter are one in the same. The HEPA is separate". Just one data point, and the advisor was not the actual mechanic.