Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X Plaid sad owner advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I had a 2016 X and traded it in for a 2023 plaid x. Biggest mistake of my life. I simply hate the vehicle. Its rough, it hurts my back/neck, and is very uncomfortable. Its still loud on the highway when trucks drive by, basically I feel ripped. They keep reducing the price too which makes me feel like a fool. It has about 6k miles on it.
What do you think is the best course of action for me? Should I sell it on one of these electric vehicle websites or is trading it at a dealer lets say a GM dealer better?
Please let me know what you think
Thanks

Sell it. We all make mistakes. You bought a performance race car, comfort is not a priority there. Learn from your experience and test drive the next car you are considering buying.

You are likely never going to get the money you want for the plaid. Just sell it in a convenient method and consider the “loss” as a learning experience. It will reduce your stress. Then buy a vehicle you actually like.

Testdrive a new Model Y LR, consider adding boost after you buy it so you get comfort and better performance. Sit in the back seats of a Model Y. I think they are more comfortable than Model X backseats.

Good Luck!

Guys I had a 2016 X and traded it in for a 2023 plaid x. Biggest mistake of my life. I simply hate the vehicle. Its rough, it hurts my back/neck, and is very uncomfortable. Its still loud on the highway when trucks drive by, basically I feel ripped. They keep reducing the price too which makes me feel like a fool. It has about 6k miles on it.
What do you think is the best course of action for me? Should I sell it on one of these electric vehicle websites or is trading it at a dealer lets say a GM dealer better?
Thanks

Sell it and buy a BMW iX.

Thanks
Obviously if you are unhappy there isn't much to fix that besides selling it and moving on, but I have to ask, did you try messing with the suspension settings? Seat position and settings? What about it makes you hurt, it's likely you could add some kind of 3rd party bolstering if you wanted to keep it. I love my Plaid...

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Obviously if you are unhappy there isn't much to fix that besides selling it and moving on, but I have to ask, did you try messing with the suspension settings? Seat position and settings? What about it makes you hurt, it's likely you could add some kind of 3rd party bolstering if you wanted to keep it. I love my Plaid...

Thanks guys for all the advice. I have tried everything man. All sorts of seat positions, all sorts of suspension settings. I dont think the suspension does jack crap. I put it from auto to comfort, dont notice any huge improvement
seat has no padding no cushioning, its just a flat neck/back breaking bench :(

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I experienced something similar when upgrading from a ‘22 MYP to a ‘22 MXP. For the first month I couldn’t find a comfortable seating position, and used to complain about it all the time. I converted from a Range Rover Velar.

In addition to getting absolutely hammered on MSRP reductions (a loss of $50k in less than 12 months) I’ve been very upset about my Tesla experience as well. I understand that a cheaper MXP is great for new buyers, but those who waited for a year on queue for the refresh got the *sugar* end of the stick.

Here’s what I noticed when it came to the ride.
1. If you’re tall (I’m 6-0), get used to having your left foot on the dead pedal with a slight knee bend - this helps when braking so you don’t “slide off the seat”.
2. If you can’t see the regen braking meter on the dashboard then your seat is too low. It’s weird how this car could easily feel like it could recline like a sedan.
3. Suspension “breaks in” after a few weeks. Mine is much smoother now, but nothing like a squishy Mercedes or Audi for example. If you’ve driven BMWs or even sport range rovers you’ll appreciate the sporty appeal of the cars suspension. I think it balances sport and luxury quite well.
4. I wish we could fit a 40 or 45 profile tires on the 22” rims. I’ve already had a rim replaced from a nasty pothole here in NJ.

Aside from that, the only major things that upset me about my plaid are:
1. Front and rear bumpers on my white MXP are yellow and Tesla will not cover it.
2. Service center is terrible. They are butchers and do more damage when in your car then the reason you brought it in for.
3. Cabin noise is getting worse as it ages. FWD trim is beginning to rattle, and so are the dumb captain chairs.
4. Captain chairs do not fold - so your “cabin space” is ideal for dozens of smaller items or bags, but not larger items. For example, you can’t fit a 65” TV in the back. You can fit one in the 5 seater MX, but not the MXP with captain seats. Does that mean this is not really a utility vehicle? I don’t think so to be honest.
4. Brakes - this is honestly a liability when at full throttle and if you’re at 100% and regen brakes are off, you better be sure you brake on time.

At this stage, I feel as if the material changes in MSRP have ruined any shot of carrying equity from this vehicle to another when I’m ready to upgrade again, and I may sell it now while I can hold on to some value before the age and miles drop the value even further in the next year. I mean, why buy a used plaid that retailed at $150k when you can buy a new one with additional features and newer tech for 97k? It’s wild.

I believe all late model Teslas use the same metal seat frame.
They also use quite similar seat bottom cushions.
For a larger person there is inadequate width and inadequate density to the foam.
In my Model 3 and for others with the Model Y, I've completley rebuilt the seat bottom.
In addition I've modified the seat back.
Now the car is a pleasure to drive and I don't get back, butt, let, thigh, neck pain.

Guys I had a 2016 X and traded it in for a 2023 plaid x. Biggest mistake of my life. I simply hate the vehicle. Its rough, it hurts my back/neck, and is very uncomfortable. Its still loud on the highway when trucks drive by, basically I feel ripped.
Precisely why I am always afraid of buying new cars and will probably try to drive my 2016 MX into the ground, Tesla permitting.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I have tried everything man. All sorts of seat positions, all sorts of suspension settings. I dont think the suspension does jack crap. I put it from auto to comfort, dont notice any huge improvement
seat has no padding no cushioning, its just a flat neck/back breaking bench :(
I just rebuilt a 22 type Model X seat by retrofitting a 2017 seat from a Model S into it. Should be massive improvement.