Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla y cabin temperature warning when parked at 70° outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm a bit bougie... I love getting into a "not hot" car. I'll take a few % hit on my range just so I can be comfortable when I get inside. Those days of burning my hands on the seatbelt buckle, metal gearshifter (WHY do companies make those), or hot steering wheel are over!

I know I could activate A/C whenever I'm about to get in the car, but I cant be bothered. I like all of the automatic stuff the car has. I think thats what sets it apart.

I parked my Tesla Y outside when it was 70° outside for a couple of hours. I got the warning that my cabin overheat protection had engaged and the car interior was being cool down. I did not think it was warm enough outside to have caused the interior to have gotten that warm. Will this happen every time I park it outside during the summer
Cars are like a greenhouse. They will heat up a lot in the sun.
When I go skiing and return to my car on a sunny day, it's always very hot inside.

Reactions: SageBrush
Cars are like a greenhouse.

They certainly *can* be, but use of a sunshade and cracking open a few windows for ventilation pretty much keeps the car interior close to ambient.

Some people do not like leaving windows open even a little, usually over fear of vandalism/theft or because of wind that brings dust into the car. It occurred to me that a small, simple, flexible PV attached to a sunshade could drive a fan mounted to the cabin filter cover

They certainly *can* be, but use of a sunshade and cracking open a few windows for ventilation pretty much keeps the car interior close to ambient.

Some people do not like leaving windows open even a little, usually over fear of vandalism/theft or because of wind that brings dust into the car. It occurred to me that a small, simple, flexible PV attached to a sunshade could drive a fan mounted to the cabin filter cover
My Gen 3 Prius had that many years ago. Solar panel on roof drove ventilation fan to keep cabin reasonably cool. Worked great.

Yeah, it had an awfully large solar panel just to run a vent fan. Covered half the roof. I guess solar PV technology is just really inadequate. Or at least it was 12 years ago. How big does a modern inexpensive panel need to be to run a fan strong enough to ventilate the cabin I wonder?

Yeah, it had an awfully large solar panel just to run a vent fan. Covered half the roof. I guess solar PV technology is just really inadequate. Or at least it was 12 years ago. How big does a modern inexpensive panel need to be to run a fan strong enough to ventilate the cabin I wonder?
The main issue with the Toyota solution was running the fan via the car's 12V battery and electronics. I think that prevented the car from sleeping, so some 200 - 300 watts was just to be awake. The PV panel was fine, but most of its power was spent on the car rather than the fan.

A small fan draws somewhere in the range of 5 watts. If a small PV panel has say 14% efficiency (I think typical for cheap PV), then 0.05 square meters is enough area. If you figure less than ideal sun angle, double the PV area to 0.1 square meters. With a simple DC fan connected directly to the panel, less sunlight means less current and a slower turning fan. Which is fine -- fan speed ends up being proportional to how sunny it is.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk
i had my x front windshield, top roof glass and side windows tinted to match rears. Its about 70 outside. Why is it over 100 in car? Is window tinting bs. I paid extra for ceramic too. Thoughts any experts?

Attachments

• IMG_3847.png
    IMG_3847.png
    696.2 KB · Views: 48
i had my x front windshield, top roof glass and side windows tinted to match rears. Its about 70 outside. Why is it over 100 in car? Is window tinting bs. I paid extra for ceramic too. Thoughts any experts?

This entire thread you posted the question in already has "thoughts". If you thought "I got window tint so that will keep the car at ambient outside temps" then you had the wrong idea about window tint. It can help reduce temps, just like a windshield shade, but none of that is going to stop the car from heating up over 100 degrees when its 70 degrees outside.

I parked my Tesla Y outside when it was 70° outside for a couple of hours. I got the warning that my cabin overheat protection had engaged and the car interior was being cool down. I did not think it was warm enough outside to have caused the interior to have gotten that warm. Will this happen every time I park it outside during the summer
yes this will happen anytime with any make or model car you park in the sun

This entire thread you posted the question in already has "thoughts". If you thought "I got window tint so that will keep the car at ambient outside temps" then you had the wrong idea about window tint. It can help reduce temps, just like a windshield shade, but none of that is going to stop the car from heating up over 100 degrees when its 70 degrees outside.

I am a huge fan of window tint, and I always add front windshield tinting. HOWEVER, tint does not mean that a solar shield and cracking windows for ventilation can be skipped. The total package, including parking facing the sun, is needed to keep the car close to ambient on sunny days

And by the way, for people new to this topic: parking in the shade is the best of all. ;)

Reactions: jjrandorin
I am a huge fan of window tint, and I always add front windshield tinting. HOWEVER, tint does not mean that a solar shield and cracking windows for ventilation can be skipped. The total package, including parking facing the sun, is needed to keep the car close to ambient on sunny days

And by the way, for people new to this topic: parking in the shade is the best of all. ;)
Im a huge fan of window tint too. Both my teslas are tinted with high quality tint (3m crystalline) all the way around, including front windows. I also use a high quality windshield screen. The car still gets hot inside, but it still looks great inside after almost 5 years.

What color is your car?

Even if it is white, when the sun is shining, go touch it. Odds are that you may not be able to keep your hand on it for long. In my book, tinting really doesn't change the temperature of a car that is sitting, it may reduce the load on the AC when moving, but it mainly provides privacy.

Dark tinting absorbs energy, unless it is reflective.

Even with tinting the passenger cabin will still heat up, only more slowly. Ceramic tint reduces the heat load on the Climate Control system, enables the cabin to stay comfortable for the passengers while using less energy.

In my book, tinting really doesn't change the temperature of a car that is sitting, it may reduce the load on the AC when moving, but it mainly provides privacy.

Yeah .. the physics of a tint layer is complicated. Mostly it absorbs almost all IR heat and some fraction of visible light, thereby letting the increased temperature of the window equilibrate with ambient. It still lets somewhere in the range of 10 - 20% of radiant energy into the car so an unventilated car will heat up slower than an untinted car, but it will heat up eventually.

For me the grand attraction of tint is reducing the direct radiation on my bare skin while driving. That is a *huge* difference in comfort. Try standing for 15 minutes in 90F in the sun Vs 90F in the shade or at night to really appreciate the difference tint makes

I believe there are multiple interior temperature sensors (at least on the MY). The two primary ones are in the front camera housing and under the display panel. The latter also has a fan to bring in ambient cabin air. This one may measure humidity as well. According to CAN buss scans there are others too, but I couldn't physically find them. There is also a rooftop window temp sensor.

I believe there are multiple interior temperature sensors (at least on the MY). The two primary ones are in the front camera housing and under the display panel. The latter also has a fan to bring in ambient cabin air. This one may measure humidity as well. According to CAN buss scans there are others too, but I couldn't physically find them. There is also a rooftop window temp sensor.
Thank you. I have a feeling my car is really not as hot as indicated.