Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA Y INSURANCE RECOMMENDS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone recommend any decent insurance?

I have one additonal driver, £500 excess and 12,000 miles/annum and last year was £994 with Admiral. This year they are quoting me £1469! 50% increase.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Matt W

I'm with churchill. Had my M3LR which renewed in Feb. I just changed it to a YRWD and they wanted £71 to change through to next Feb. think it was about £550-600. £350 voluntary £500 compulsory, two drivers, 10k miles.

obviulsy YMMV but bung it in compare the market and money supermarket and compare the top 5 of each shoudl probably give you a flavour of where you'll get to

I'm with churchill. Had my M3LR which renewed in Feb. I just changed it to a YRWD and they wanted £71 to change through to next Feb. think it was about £550-600. £350 voluntary £500 compulsory, two drivers, 10k miles.

obviulsy YMMV but bung it in compare the market and money supermarket and compare the top 5 of each shoudl probably give you a flavour of where you'll get to
Thanks very much for your time.

I have one additonal driver, £500 excess and 12,000 miles/annum and last year was £994 with Admiral. This year they are quoting me £1469! 50% increase.

Matt W
I'm with them, was £700 for this year, mine's due again in Dec - if they put it up similarly I'll be on the phone to them to see where I can get to 👍

Matt W
have you called them? I have been with them for years and every year they pull this sh1t. I call them and negotiate it back down. If you can find any one else to give you a lower quote that will give you some more leverage but even if not i am still sure you can get it reduced somewhat. I am due for renewal in 30 days so expecting my renewal soon dreading what it will be. I am paying £550 currently for similar details to you but I am at an age and in a location where insurance is about as low as it can be

Since my insurance is due in a month I just got some quotes to compare to my renewal which I don't yet have. £860 was the cheapest which I know a lot of people would kill for (what can I say move out of London) but its still a 50% increase on last year. That was from GO GIRL via Money supermarket 🤣.
Ominously there were no quotes from any Admiral group companies that I could recognise which does not bode well for my renewal with Admiral!
Looks like my recent windscreen replacement has equated to an increase of about £60 when I compare quotes with and without it.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Since my insurance is due in a month I just got some quotes to compare to my renewal which I don't yet have. £860 was the cheapest which I know a lot of people would kill for (what can I say move out of London) but its still a 50% increase on last year. That was from GO GIRL via Money supermarket 🤣.
Ominously there were no quotes from any Admiral group companies that I could recognise which does not bode well for my renewal with Admiral!
Looks like my recent windscreen replacement has equated to an increase of about £60 when I compare quotes with and without it.
I’m in similar situation mate, comparison sites giving me really obscure results like yours. Nothing from any of the usual suspects. AXA actually declined me this afternoon! Wouldn’t even quote. Something amiss.

I’m in similar situation mate, comparison sites giving me really obscure results like yours. Nothing from any of the usual suspects. AXA actually declined me this afternoon! Wouldn’t even quote. Something amiss.
been getting a lot of quotes for my daughter recently to help her. Really minor things seem to make huge differences.
difference from a 2012 to a 2013 ( facelift) fiesta was an increase of 100%
saying we did not have the vehicle yet produced a reduction vs saying we did? ( tried that with the Tesla and had the opposite effect)
being employed vs being a student much more expensive if just employed than as a student who also had a job.
And of course the one everyone knows changing the start date for the cover produced big differences.

Not saying most of these things are relevant to you but you could tweek the info to see what it is putting people off. Might be something you cannot change but still interesting to know.

been getting a lot of quotes for my daughter recently to help her. Really minor things seem to make huge differences.
difference from a 2012 to a 2013 ( facelift) fiesta was an increase of 100%
saying we did not have the vehicle yet produced a reduction vs saying we did? ( tried that with the Tesla and had the opposite effect)
being employed vs being a student much more expensive if just employed than as a student who also had a job.
And of course the one everyone knows changing the start date for the cover produced big differences.

Not saying most of these things are relevant to you but you could tweek the info to see what it is putting people off. Might be something you cannot change but still interesting to know.
Just a word of warning, be careful about making too many changes in a short period of time.

I did the above a couple of months back and stopped getting quotes from all the comparison sites. After emailing confused.com it turned out I had triggered some fraud detection software which must be shared across many companies as unrelated websites also stopped giving me quotes.

They unblocked me, but I'm still not getting a full range of quotes at the moment.

Edited to add: signing up with new email address/account etc made no difference.

I have Model Y LR and the cheapest quote I am getting is £3.6k from esure (never heard of them before). Admiral is quoting £5.6k, while Direct Line does not provide insurance in my location (IG10). Last year I paid £1.2k with Aviva car insurance who do not want to renew for a Tesla. I see insurance cost is a big issue for everyone, but the quote I am getting seem even crazier to me. I only have 3 year NCD as I have only lived in the UK for four years, not sure if this is the reason but open to hear if anyone has any other suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Lots of insurers just won't insure Teslas. Direct Line have most of the market so can pick and choose who they insure.

DL were £1000 which was much higher than the year before. I did try Nova/Novo or whatever they are called in Liverpool. They were nearly £2k. Worst was from Adrian Flux. They wanted nearly £3700

I have about 20 years of NCD and never had a fault claim so it's money for nothing every year.

I had the same with Direct Line. £750 increased to £1200 figures. I called and they said that they couldn’t do anything. So I went online to cancel and it dropped by £400. 🤷🏻
How far through the stop renewal options did you go through for that to work. Not sure I’ve got the balls in case there’s no going back.

Attachments

• IMG_4502.png
    IMG_4502.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 70
I did some quotes on a Tesla Model 3 LR back in March before I bought, the best price I saw was £570 which didn't seem too bad considering my BMW X3 was £422. Anyway, I bought one and changed the vehicle with Admiral back in early May, it cost £35 extra for the 2 months remaining on my policy (so roughly £200 more per year). So, mostly inline with with what I saw on comparison sites.

Fast forward 2 months to renewal time, Admiral now want £1250 and the cheapest comparison site price I can get is £1030! What the hell has happened in the last few months!?!?!

I did some quotes on a Tesla Model 3 LR back in March before I bought, the best price I saw was £570 which didn't seem too bad considering my BMW X3 was £422. Anyway, I bought one and changed the vehicle with Admiral back in early May, it cost £35 extra for the 2 months remaining on my policy (so roughly £200 more per year). So, mostly inline with with what I saw on comparison sites.

Fast forward 2 months to renewal time, Admiral now want £1250 and the cheapest comparison site price I can get is £1030! What the hell has happened in the last few months!?!?!
The M3 Launched in the UK in 2019 and no one was allowed to drive anywhere for most of 2020 so I guess the accident rates and repair cost data was very sparse until recently and now it is starting to come in I assume it is showing higher risk numbers than the insurance companies originally thought.
Given that that most Tesla's have the straight line acceleration of a supercar, any accident that even hints at damage to the battery seems to result in a write-off and the ones that don't involve months of hire car costs while waiting for parts it was only ever going to go one way. I was kind of surprised how low the rates were in the early days tbh.