Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi and other AWS and GCP clients currently blocked access to Tesla API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, is anyone currently having an issue with teslafi? I've just checked and it's not logged anything for about 3 hours. The car is at home, charging and connected to Wi-Fi. The Tesla app is working fine, I've logged out and back in to teslafi but it's still the same. Not sure what else I can try?

Just seen this, wonder if it is related?
5B244FC1-4AE1-4A3A-B676-A575A860ECF3.jpeg

Teslamate hosted on a local Raspberry Pi is still working, so it looks as if Tesla either have a problem with Amazon and Google services, or they may have decided to shut them out. I suppose the bottom line is that the Tesla API is not public (at least officially), it's there to allow Tesla services to operate, so all of us that are piggybacking on it to get data are adding a lot of traffic through Tesla's servers that they probably hadn't planned for. Perhaps this is becoming an issue with the increase in the number of cars, plus the increased traffic that voice commands might be putting on their systems?

In the case of people running self-hosted solutions, like Teslamate, I doubt that there's much Tesla could do to stop this, as the traffic will look pretty much the same, coming from the same IP, as genuine Tesla app calls. They could try and look at stuff in more detail and see that a Teslamate call isn't coming from the Tesla app, but I doubt they'd bother.

On the other hand, just blocking API calls from Google or Amazon is probably pretty easy to do. Of course, being Tesla, it could just as easily be a software screw up somewhere.

Presumably this may also affect those chargers that use Tesla API integration to wake cars, such as JuiceNet or ev.energy... depending on where their host their cloud infrastructure. ABRP's Tesla integration also seems to be affected, as it's showing widly wrong SoC for my car at the moment.

Can you configure a VPN or something on your cloud service as a workaround?
You'd have to set up a VPN from the Cloud instance back to your home network, and then route it's connections out to the internet from there.. speaking from experience that'd be a pain to set-up.

It'd be far easier to set it up on your own Pi and then set-up OpenVPN to connect back to your home network in if you wanted stats access on-the-go.

Last edited:
Presumably this may also affect those chargers that use Tesla API integration to wake cars, such as JuiceNet or ev.energy... depending on where their host their cloud infrastructure. ABRP's Tesla integration also seems to be affected, as it's showing widly wrong SoC for my car at the moment.

You'd have to set up a VPN from the Cloud instance back to your home network, and then route it's connections out to the internet from there.. speaking from experience that'd be a pain to set-up.

It'd be far easier to set it up on your own Pi and then set-up OpenVPN to connect back to your home network in if you wanted stats access on-the-go.

This explains why my Ohme charger is having issues!

I can confirm that Teslamate running on a Raspberry Pi is still working OK, so it looks as if it's maybe just access to the Tesla API from Amazon and Google services that isn't working at the moment. That tends to suggest a deliberate action by Tesla to perhaps try and restrict the use of the Tesla API, which they are perfectly entitled to do, as Tesla have never, AFAIK, granted consent to any third party to use their connectivity. As far as Tesla are concerned, the only services using their API should be owners with the Tesla app installed and their own staff.

The various apps like TeslaFi and Teslamate and others are all unofficial, and accessing data via what amounts to a backdoor as far as Tesla are concerned, and these apps only work because people have managed to reverse engineer the Tesla API calls and suss out how the Tesla app talks to the Tesla mothership, in order to both control the cars and to extract data from them.

Part of the ease of being able to do this has been that the security Tesla use is pretty simple, just someone's account log in details initially, followed by a token that has to be renewed every 28 days (IIRC). One an app has a token and the renewal key it can continue to work indefinitely, without the account log in details, as long as it renews the token and gets the new renewal key every 4 weeks.