Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi and other AWS and GCP clients currently blocked access to Tesla API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They could choose to change tactic and try and control the way that access tokens work, as at the moment there will be two tokens in use by me, one from the app and one from Teslamate. Given that some people may well have two or three devices legitimately linked to their account, this would be pretty challenging to block, though. I think those of us running Teslamate standalone at home are probably safe enough, at least for now.

Agreed, if Tesla truly want to kill off all 3rd party access to the API given that they control both the mobile apps and their API it wouldn't be difficult to revise how they're authenticating one to the other. All it would need is Tesla to introduce client certificate validation and it'd break all the 3rd party's connections, and we'd have to start decompiling their mobile apps to figure out what they did in order to get access again.

The fact that they've started with IP filtering could suggest that they're preferring to cut down the biggest chunk of API abusers. Whether they're satisfied leaving it there remains to be seen.

I think those of us running Teslamate standalone at home are probably safe enough, at least for now.

I can see there being a flood of posts here before long asking about how to set up a Raspberry Pi and Teslamate . . .

Yay, more broken Pi installs for me to troubleshoot on this board! :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Medved_77 and *Adam
I did wonder a while ago about just putting together a bunch of SD cards all set up to run Teslamate on a RPi, to save people having to do the install themselves. The only snag was the need to build in both the Tesla account info and the user's WiFi details, which really is a bit of a showstopper, as I doubt many people would be prepared to share those details.

I suspect we'll see Tesla change the security before long, anyway, as the introduction of two factor authentication only really makes sense if they also make access to the API secure as well, and get rid of the present pretty simple token system.

Several other threads running on this. The outage also extends to Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure, in addition to Amazon Web Services. Seems deliberate, but not completely unexpected given that all of these services were using the Tesla API without Tesla's consent (or benefit).

Doubtful. Tesla doesn’t want us to see battery/ range degradation which Teslafi currently does.

Given my degradation currently looks like this, that was my first thought, too!

upload_2020-9-10_23-3-14.png

Reactions: hcdavis3
this is really terrible......can we get a plug-in devise that can give us the same info....Tesla must really be scared of the information that we can get
You mean like Scan My Tesla? The app and OBD device and will give you all of the data and then some, but you have to manage it. That's the hard part.

Apparently the Raspberry Pi versions of TeslaMate are still working...