Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi and pre-heating the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tested it for months.

An other owner with a m3 for half a year.
When forgetting the WIFI network car goes to sleep within 14 min. With wifi disabled or enabled it takes between 02:05H-02:08H.
For the first time these months te car goes to sleep within 14min.

We have the best teslafi settings. Can any experience user post there sleep mode setting?

Thanks for de answer

Fair enough however be aware that the car can wake up/stay awake for up to 4 hours when not being used enough per 28 hour period regardless of wifi setup or not

Reactions: DucaTinus
Maybe big differents between en MS en M3? I have the HW3.0 with FSD
Does the MS upload the sentry/videofiles automatically to Tesla? I think that this is a huge amount of data that is send thru WIFI at home.

We have TeslaFi, M3, HW3, FSD. I also recall giving permission for it to send data to Tesla, but never interpreted it as sending video footage carte blanche. As far as I am aware, Tesla may be able to grab video from the fleet, but only in exceptional circumstances - when they want to use it for machine learning scenario. But that is exceptional limited circumstances, not routine and never seen anything official to say that is definitely what they do.

Anyhow. I've just gone back over several TeslaFi logs. We have wifi at home.

Most park sessions turn to idle within 40/45 minutes.
Some, relatively few park sessions, take 1-3 hours before they idle
When sentry mode active, car does not idle
I have seen some park sessions > hour where car had not just returned from a drive
I have seen some park sessions > hour where car was not at home and not connected to WiFi
On some occasions where lengthy park before idle, either locked or fan status changed
On occasions where lengthy park before idle, but neither locked or fan status changed, car failed to sleep. When trying to sleep, TeslaFi is blind to the state of the car.

Conclusions:
being away from home and no wifi and not on sentry can still cause lengthy waits before idle
On some occasions when lengthy wait, something obvious like lock or pre condition state changed
Lengthy wait before idle is more likely to occur immediately after returning home from a drive - but returning home after a drive is the most common scenario where car enters park state
WiFi would need to be turned off before any stronger conclusion can be drawn - i'll try and remember to do that today

• Informative
We have TeslaFi, M3, HW3, FSD. I also recall giving permission for it to send data to Tesla, but never interpreted it as sending video footage carte blanche. As far as I am aware, Tesla may be able to grab video from the fleet, but only in exceptional circumstances - when they want to use it for machine learning scenario. But that is exceptional limited circumstances, not routine and never seen anything official to say that is definitely what they do.

Anyhow. I've just gone back over several TeslaFi logs. We have wifi at home.

Most park sessions turn to idle within 40/45 minutes.
Some, relatively few park sessions, take 1-3 hours before they idle
When sentry mode active, car does not idle
I have seen some park sessions > hour where car had not just returned from a drive
I have seen some park sessions > hour where car was not at home and not connected to WiFi
On some occasions where lengthy park before idle, either locked or fan status changed
On occasions where lengthy park before idle, but neither locked or fan status changed, car failed to sleep. When trying to sleep, TeslaFi is blind to the state of the car.

Conclusions:
being away from home and no wifi and not on sentry can still cause lengthy waits before idle
On some occasions when lengthy wait, something obvious like lock or pre condition state changed
Lengthy wait before idle is more likely to occur immediately after returning home from a drive - but returning home after a drive is the most common scenario where car enters park state
WiFi would need to be turned off before any stronger conclusion can be drawn - i'll try and remember to do that today
I assume you use teslafi or similar app to monitor the sleep cycles?

Tested with the permission OFF but still after drive idle > sleep takes >2:05H
So that is not the trick.

I really think that forgetting the wifi home network will get my car to sleep faster at home. Disable it in the carmenu won't work because it will switch on again automatically.
Some poster give me the tip to create an own SSID in the router for the model 3 and disable it. When pop up for update occurs, switch SSID on again to download update.

Don't know if the present of a WIFI signal is mandatory to receive updates?

Great info btw, thanks for sharing

Last edited:

OK. First trial with Wifi off.

Still took a while to sleep, but initially not quite so long as before. However, it then woke for a minute and took another 45 minutes to sleep. So in total, probably same idling as if it was on wifi, just in two chunks. So 1hr27m + 43m no wifi, previously 2h14m with wifi. However, same run before that one was 41m only on wifi, and 42m again on wifi.

Not a large sample set, but I am seeing nothing that indicates that wifi is making it take longer to idle. Unless it wasn't connecting to wifi last week either - its not 100% reliable but normally does.

This night I came home. Wifi network forgotten in the car.It slept within 13min (normal 2.05h)

Turn wifi off did not work. You have to forget the network. Planning to make an own ssid for the m3. When receiving an update I only have to enable this ssid in the router

Will check teslafi tomorrow morning what range loss I got this night

I turn wifi off on the home network not in the car. Its as if the car was not at home. Car has its own dedicated wap and ssid, just like you are planning.

Car woke up one more time last night, again, 41 minutes. So about 4 miles range loss overnight, which is pretty much same as last Monday equivalent when it was on wifi.

But this morning the app is offering me to download the 2019.32.2 update once I connect to wifi so was probably that process. Also confirms that car is not on wifi - notification does not need wifi to see, but download does. 'Connect to Wi-Fi to download' and no option to download.

Last edited:
I've found if you connect the charger, let the charge start, then stop it via the app, the car will sleep within 15-20 mins consistently of doing this process. I know this not this is not wifi related but if you plug in at home and want the car to sleep then this is how to force it to sleep.

At least it has worked for me.

Seems like "Charging Stopped" triggers "Enter Sleep"

Just returning to the focus of my original post :) - I'm still not seeing kWh consumed data in Teslafi when pre-heating the car in the morning.

This morning, I think for the first time, Teslafi showed a battery heating icon.

From looking at my smart meter monitor the car draws 7kW during pre-heating, so 15 minutes is a little less than 2kWh. It editor be nice to see this in Teslafi.

That's with all the heating on and both front seats heated on full (my wife takes a colleague to work).

Is that enough to heat the battery pack adequately? I guess not. Today's 15 mile morning commute was 500 Wh/mile. Average speed 23mph.

I turn wifi off on the home network not in the car. Its as if the car was not at home. Car has its own dedicated wap and ssid, just like you are planning.

Car woke up one more time last night, again, 41 minutes. So about 4 miles range loss overnight, which is pretty much same as last Monday equivalent when it was on wifi.

But this morning the app is offering me to download the 2019.32.2 update once I connect to wifi so was probably that process. Also confirms that car is not on wifi - notification does not need wifi to see, but download does. 'Connect to Wi-Fi to download' and no option to download.

OK, took the test. Removed my wifi network from the car yesterday.
After coming home, the car fell as sleep within 12 minutes and kept sleeping whole night.
No drain because of the WIFI connection. This will save me at least 1kwh each day.

Will check if this bug is fixed in feature software updates. I reported this energy drain to tesla.

I've had car falling asleep quickly before on returning from a drive, wifi or not. My shortest idle is normally 41 minutes, as I have TeslaFi idle time of recommended 30 minutes, so thats 30 minutes TeslaFi keeping car awake, then 11 minutes for car to fall sleep. We had similar drain of around 4 miles last night as we had last Monday. I'm going to see what happens tonight and compare with last Tuesday.

Unless there is an external app (Tesla App or TeslaFi etc) affecting things, I think what is being witnessed is the organic nature of the car and environmental conditions, not some bug.

This morning, I think for the first time, Teslafi showed a battery heating icon

In Raw Data there is an option for "Battery heater ON". I've seen the Icon too (don't remember it last winter, so I guess that is new-ish)

From looking at my smart meter monitor the car draws 7kW during pre-heating, so 15 minutes is a little less than 2kWh. It editor be nice to see this in Teslafi.

Hmm ... I've seen it when charging the car (so TeslaFi was logging "an Event" at the time), but absent that all you have is raw data, not sure how easily that would show it

teslafi04-jpg.442885

Is that enough to heat the battery pack adequately? I guess not.

I drop the Charge Limit by 10% for charging over night, and then raise it (and restart the charging) for hour-before-departure to try to heat the battery (and then heat cabin for 15 minutes before departure)

Dunno how much difference that makes. When I set off without doing that the time before Full Regen is available seems a lot longer. Bit subjective though.

The new/forthcoming update's "Precondition for departure time" rather than "Start charge AT" might do more?

Reactions: vitesse