Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi - battery report. Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
Should I worry about this?

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 18.06.53.png

How often do you let battery drop below 20% and charge close to 100%?

I believe that accuracy of reported battery capacity works best when battery is allowed to occasionally get closer to the SOC limits than one may choose to use on a daily basis. It has to extrapolate 0 and 100% so the closer you are to them, the more accurate that will be. BMS also apparently can work better at occasional <20% SOC and of course cell balancing at higher states of charge.

You may want to see how things change if you set >= charge limit to a higher value, say 80%.

Personally I've stopped going near that report especially whilst car only having small occasional top-ups. Its not really a battery degradation report, more of a this is the best guess of your cars range at end of each charge that can vary due to many variables.

Last edited:
How often do you let battery drop below 20% and charge close to 100%?

I believe that accuracy of reported battery capacity works best when battery is allowed to occasionally get closer to the SOC limits than one may choose to use on a daily basis. It has to extrapolate 0 and 100% so the closer you are to them, the more accurate that will be. BMS also apparently can work better at occasional <20% SOC and of course cell balancing at higher states of charge.

You may want to see how things change if you set >= charge limit to a higher value, say 80%.

Personally I've stopped going near that report especially whilst car only having small occasional top-ups. Its not really a battery degradation report, more of a this is the best guess of your cars range at end of each charge that can vary due to many variables.
That's a good point. I never let the level drop much below 50% and seldom more than 85%. Perhaps I'll do a high/ low cycle once I can get out again.

Yeah - that thought did cross my mind too. But the comparison is against a big sample and it seems I'm near the bottom of the spread. I'm not unduly worried, but interested in others thoughts.
I'm low mileage and typically top up from 50% to 80%. Currently show 296 (M3P) at 100% but it goes up to around 300 on warm days. It's almost certainly a battery management system calibration issue rather than degradation. I've only ever supercharged 5 times so no issue there. Current mileage is around 3800, car is 8 months old. I'm not worried about it although I will try a BMS recal at some point

Reactions: pdk42
I believe looking at things like this will just be an albatross around your neck. The range will go up and down based on a variety of factors, outside temperature, how hard you’ve driven recently, etc.

I look at stuff like this the same way as I did with depreciation on a supercar, or depreciation in general. Once you start thinking about it, it discolours your entire ownership experience.

You’ve got 4 years of a warranty ahead of you. Deal with any significant discrepancy when it needs to be dealt with.

Be careful with those graphs as it does not show you correctly. That graph starts at 290 and high of 315. The graph should start at 0 and go up to 315. Then you would see an almost flat line and not question it :)

It's human nature to look at the line first then the numbers after

Zoomed in graphs/charts distort the results.

Be careful with those graphs as it does not show you correctly. That graph starts at 290 and high of 315. The graph should start at 0 and go up to 315. Then you would see an almost flat line and not question it :)

It's human nature to look at the line first then the numbers after

Zoomed in graphs/charts distort the results.
Yes, the way that data is presented is definitely something to be aware of. I guess what's more concerning is that my car is in the lowest tenth of a comparable sample of 82 cars. OTOH - I guess there will always be a spread and so long as the spread isn't huge then it's no big deal.

Did you change the sample set settings? iirc mileage, temp. Narrowing that down, whilst keeping a decent sample set, may make for a better comparable set.

Out of curiosity, which point in the graph was your overseas trip? Any noticeable changes around your long tow, trip rapid charging and/or speed record attempt? Ours is quite different since lockdown started so change in usage patterns do potentially show up.

Did you change the sample set settings? iirc mileage, temp. Narrowing that down, whilst keeping a decent sample set, may make for a better comparable set.

Out of curiosity, which point in the graph was your overseas trip? Any noticeable changes around your long tow, trip rapid charging and/or speed record attempt? Ours is quite different since lockdown started so change in usage patterns do potentially show up.
No, I've not tweaked anything on the Teslafi sampling.

I did wonder too about whether the long towing trip coincided with the drop, but the drop happened between early Nov and mid Dec, whilst the trip was in early Jan. During the Nov/Dec period, the car just did short daily trips with AC home charging to 85%.

Every time I check this chart on my SR+ it worries me a bit, I only have 215 miles. There is a misconception that this figure depends on temperature, driving habits etc., but that's not true. However, I don't often let the SoC get below maybe 40% so perhaps it's within calibration and balancing variation thresholds. It does bother me though, can't see how it wouldn't :p