Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaLog.com - Your hosted Tesla Data Logger - Announcement / Support threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is lot of different potential view about the pooling.

Here are the potential issues :
Too many query to Tesla Server
Too many data recorded
Vampire drain.
Bandwidth cost constrain
Privacy ?

So each of you bring part of solutions to different issues because not all of you care about all of them. The only thing I can do is work around Tesla limited functionality of their API.

Since I've started my logger, I haven't had 1 complain about too many query to tesla servers. That because I limit the number of query I do to 1 per minute per API call (unless there is a failure, then I try again every 20 seconds). Your android/iphone app query much more than that, but only when the application is active.

If that bother them, an easy fix would be to enable push notification, so we could be notify of important events reducing considerably when the car is not moving or charging. So Tesla will probably implement this feature once they feel the load is too much on their system and force people to use it by reducing the number of allowed query to their API which I would actually love !

For too many data recorded, the big eater is the live driving, and all the data is required to get a fairly accurate Wh/km value ! That said, I could store them temporary until the drive is over, then keep data average every 100meter, calculate the Wh/km value and delete all the rest of the data... But that would limit doing post processing on errors. Also it get complicated to do acceleration... One thing I could do is find a math wiz and do some kind of compression algorithm for that data... But so far the DB handling it pretty well and a small monthly fee will take care of that. So not a big deal to put time onto this.

Vampire drain is more interesting things to fix, but not a big issue if you plug your car every night. Though different things could be done right now, it might not actually work. I've tried to put my car to sleep and it took HOURS ! So you might save very little ! And you would lose lot of data if you were to start driving during the time the car is attempting to sleep or sleeping. So unless Tesla provide push notification of charging start/stop and car going from on to off... The gain is little. Sadly, tesla do not have a 220volt AC to 12Volt DC transformer in the car, so the 12volt battery is charged from the main DC pack... So that can be annoying. I'll probably try at some point again to do something... But I know I'll just get people complaining that their car still won't go to sleep and blame the site where it actually not related... So not super trill to announce that feature availability ;)

Bandwidth is either your tesla SIM card data plan, or your WIFI plan. I wish tesla could locally recorded the data, and allow me to download all the detail juice back when the car is at home on wifi... This would reduce the load tesla data plan by quite a lot, and would work even when you have no cell phone reception... But right now, that not possible. The only thing that could work is using a CANBus data logger which might be the go to option in the future. Looking into it anyway because tesla do not really want to give us access to their api with our own key, so they could change the key and recording would stop... So I want to be ready with a solution if tesla go into that direction (Though, if I were tesla, I would much prefer work with teslalog than having lot of owner connect to the canbus of their car !)

Privacy, well you might not want to log your trip to the strip club :) But there is no easy way to deal with this. The android application was an idea about it so each driver could have their own account and could only see their own data... So for now, I don't care much about it as long no other people can check your car info. But if your wife/husband have your car logged and your doing something shady, then that your problem, not mine :)

So it all a question of how much work there is to put into something, and the reward that come from it. Most of what I want would have to be done on Tesla side and not mine !

The next feature I want to work on is a road trip sharing feature (And trip grouping). Automatic twitter notification, facebook notification, basic chat and point of interest proposal... Going to be useful for a limited number of you, but I'm interested to do a cross-canada & USA road trip at some point, and I want to be ready ! :)

Great explanation, Marc. I'm fine with the direction you're going and TeslaLog is awesome as it is. If you think you're not going to get shut down by Tesla and the vampire drain effects are small, that's good enough for me.

I really hope you don't make this service (or new features in it) dependent on one particular smartphone OS, though. I happen to be an iPhone user, but the point is that the market is pretty close to split down the middle - last stats I saw were 44% IOS and 51% Android - so unless you can do apps for both, you'll be leaving out a lot of people. I'm happy with it as is, with no apps.

Tesla did shut us down once before once they changed the API and required that key to generate a identification token. Thankfully that key was not really hidden on the mobile app which allowed us to use it. But Tesla can decide to cut the service even if it take no load on their infrastructure. So I rather not think too much about it for now yet be considerate of the number of query I'm doing per account. Also like I said, I'm slowly looking at doing a CANBus data logger that connect to the teslalog website just in case tesla decide to shut the API down for us.

I really hope you don't make this service (or new features in it) dependent on one particular smartphone OS, though. I happen to be an iPhone user, but the point is that the market is pretty close to split down the middle - last stats I saw were 44% IOS and 51% Android - so unless you can do apps for both, you'll be leaving out a lot of people. I'm happy with it as is, with no apps.

Well, I like to reward people who made the right mobile platform choice :p I can't do development on iOS for technical and moral reason !

Token expire after less than 90 days, so you will have to reenter your tesla login/password to generate a new key. An solution for that is to create an phone application that would store that password locally and could generate new token for me. So even if not everyone could have that, it still 50% that could have their token automatically refreshed.

I did get request from people what actually didn't care that I had their password since they don't use it elsewhere than tesla and they could always reset it with their email, so it end up being the same thing than having the Tesla token to their car. But even so I don't want to do it without having some heavy offline storage...

But driver detecting with bluetooth could be interesting as well. Could maybe do recording as well of GPS coordinate on the cell phone if we detect the car is not connected to the server so we wouldn't be losing data...

My priority is to work on the web interface, but for things that can't be done with a web interface, then I'll try to do it on android.

But driver detecting with bluetooth could be interesting as well. Could maybe do recording as well of GPS coordinate on the cell phone if we detect the car is not connected to the server so we wouldn't be losing data...

My priority is to work on the web interface, but for things that can't be done with a web interface, then I'll try to do it on android.

If you add an API endpoint, we could use Tasker/Trigger/etc (Android) or Workflow (iOS) to have the phone automatically open a URL to it.
At least until there is a proper app :)

Reactions: robertvg
If you add an API endpoint, we could use Tasker/Trigger/etc (Android) or Workflow (iOS) to have the phone automatically open a URL to it.
At least until there is a proper app :)

Technically, you could do it right now since all the call are made via API. But changes on my end would break someone particular implementation which is why I don't even want to suggest it. :) If you know how to do it for your own needs, then you can support yourself if something break, but I do not want to support them or even hear about it :)

Remember people, this is a single developer playing part time on this project with no income (actually, hosting ain't cheap) ! Even if all of you would pay 5$ per month each, that still far from paying hosting and the time I put into it, not including all the legal aspect to protect you and I. And after all that, Tesla could decide to block services like this. So if you want to start a new thread about doing custom app with API call, I'll be glad to talk to the person who would want to do it and maybe I can facilitate changes to make things easier... But I do not want to be stuck to support it :) For the android development, the last time I've done it was in 2010 and I'm interested in giving it a shot again, and I think tesla log is a great first go to project that actually going to be useful to some people. But it far in my priority !

Technically, you could do it right now since all the call are made via API. But changes on my end would break someone particular implementation which is why I don't even want to suggest it. :) If you know how to do it for your own needs, then you can support yourself if something break, but I do not want to support them or even hear about it :)

Remember people, this is a single developer playing part time on this project with no income (actually, hosting ain't cheap) ! Even if all of you would pay 5$ per month each, that still far from paying hosting and the time I put into it, not including all the legal aspect to protect you and I. And after all that, Tesla could decide to block services like this. So if you want to start a new thread about doing custom app with API call, I'll be glad to talk to the person who would want to do it and maybe I can facilitate changes to make things easier... But I do not want to be stuck to support it :) For the android development, the last time I've done it was in 2010 and I'm interested in giving it a shot again, and I think tesla log is a great first go to project that actually going to be useful to some people. But it far in my priority !

Ohhh, sorry! I didn't realize that an endpoint already existed for changing polling frequency.

Thank you so much for all the work you've put into TeslaLog!

European and Australian car should now see their reverse value of the rated / ideal.

very good change! :smile:
my range comparable with real now, great!
I think the problem was in the names...
...Tesla developers mixed up names for USA and EU :redface:

so, recapitulation?
USA - ideal - rated!
EU - rated! - typical
real - 440 > 350 (km for 90%)

thank you very much, all right for now :love:

Problem possibly resolved!

As I write, my car is travelling towards to Gatwick Service Centre in the UK. The phone app shows the location on its home tab. There is NO record in Teslalog of the car moving yet it has been travelling for perhaps 30 minutes.

When I look at the Location tab in the phone app, however, it sometimes shows me the starting location map for the car and sometimes where it now seems to be. Teslalog shows NO SIGN of any movement at all.

I believe the car is travelling on a trailer/in a lorry and therefore not in state DRIVING. Checking the phone home page again I see that the car is indeed changing location and yet parked.

Under these circumstances, what a) does Teslalog do and b) is this the right behaviour? I was expecting to see a log that of the car's journey.

Problem possibly resolved!

As I write, my car is travelling towards to Gatwick Service Centre in the UK. The phone app shows the location on its home tab. There is NO record in Teslalog of the car moving yet it has been travelling for perhaps 30 minutes.

When I look at the Location tab in the phone app, however, it sometimes shows me the starting location map for the car and sometimes where it now seems to be. Teslalog shows NO SIGN of any movement at all.

I believe the car is travelling on a trailer/in a lorry and therefore not in state DRIVING. Checking the phone home page again I see that the car is indeed changing location and yet parked.

Under these circumstances, what a) does Teslalog do and b) is this the right behaviour? I was expecting to see a log that of the car's journey.

If you go in the track page, you should see it move. I do store it position, but I create new trip when the car go into drive and stop it when it go to park. So it why you don't see it, but there is data being recorded. Not sure how or if I should find a way to display that data or nit

If your car is being transported to or from service by Tesla, they may have disabled location tracking. One time when my car was on a Tesla trailer, the Tesla app would show the actual location briefly when I switched to the location page, but then It would quickly switch back to the location where it was picked up. It was like the car was tracking its location normally, but the Tesla technician did sometime to mask the location on the Tesla server (although the way they tried to mask the location wasn't very effective).

Marc -

Did you happen to see my post (Top of page 26 of this thread)?

Seems the circles for HVAC staying on aren't accurate (Or GPS is wildly inaccurate!) I also noticed that if I have my HVAC off, TeslaLog turns it on if I'm in one of the circles. Not sure if there's any logic that could be checked on this so if the HVAC is not on, it won't turn it on?

Having the same problem at home with the HVAC staying on once I park in the garage. I'm about 400' from the edge of one of my HVAC circles and when I park at home, it frequently stays on (Or today it turned on.)

Marc -

Did you happen to see my post (Top of page 26 of this thread)?

Seems the circles for HVAC staying on aren't accurate (Or GPS is wildly inaccurate!) I also noticed that if I have my HVAC off, TeslaLog turns it on if I'm in one of the circles. Not sure if there's any logic that could be checked on this so if the HVAC is not on, it won't turn it on?

Having the same problem at home with the HVAC staying on once I park in the garage. I'm about 400' from the edge of one of my HVAC circles and when I park at home, it frequently stays on (Or today it turned on.)
It used to be very accurate, but if you go in reverse in your car, tesla introduced a bug that actually move your car forward instead of backward. So until tesla fix that, there is not much I can do.

The HVAC actually turn off when you leave your car, and I check if you are within that zone, if so, force it for 15 minutes. So if you did stop at that 400' feet spot before going home, it will continue to force on once you get one.

I want to change it so it disable the force climate as soon as you put yourself into drive again, but I use a global timer value right now. Also I could try to check if the 2 minute before you park the car had HVAC on or off, but if you turn it off before putting into park, that probably won't be detected.