Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Done a bit more digging. The cron is working, as I have a full set of seven days backups on the Pi. So it’s the bit that’s saving it to the Google drive that’s stopped working. Any ideas?

are all 7 of those backups the last 7 days? (as it should overwrite them if you've used the default values in the script I did)

Do you have enough space in Google Drive?
If you run the script manually now (the tmbackup script, not the manual backup) does it work then?

are all 7 of those backups the last 7 days? (as it should overwrite them if you've used the default values in the script I did)

Do you have enough space in Google Drive?
If you run the script manually now (the tmbackup script, not the manual backup) does it work then?
Yes, the backups are all dated consecutively over the last 7 days.

I've already tried

./tmbackup.sh

and that creates a new backup for today with a current time stamp.

Plenty of Google space, I’m using 2.28GB out of 17GB.

Yes, the backups are all dated consecutively over the last 7 days.

I've already tried

./tmbackup.sh

and that creates a new backup for today with a current time stamp.

Plenty of Google space, I’m using 2.28GB out of 17GB.

That’s really odd then if the script ran manually does the upload to Google Drive successfully, must be some error logs somewhere.

One to have a google of if I get some time later

Update on the auto backup.

No file was saved to Google overnight, so I ran the script manually which saved the file to the Pi, then a couple of minutes later to Google drive. So the script is working, but the cron job isn’t.

I’ve checked and the cron job was still there. I’ve edited it to a different time and resaved it, so will see what happens tonight.

Update on the auto backup.

No file was saved to Google overnight, so I ran the script manually which saved the file to the Pi, then a couple of minutes later to Google drive. So the script is working, but the cron job isn’t.

I’ve checked and the cron job was still there. I’ve edited it to a different time and resaved it, so will see what happens tonight.

might be worth trying the crown to run in day whilst you are awake, see if it works then?

Suspect you might need to stick some some logging in to get to the bottom of it

For anyone that's moved their TeslaMate installation from a Pi to a hosted server, would you mind detailing the steps for importing the backup to the hosted server?

Grab the backup file from the Pi using sftp (you might be able to do it via the command line, but that's above my pay grade :)) - alternatively, if you used the google drive backup script, run the tmbackup script again and grab the latest file from Google Drive, upload the backup to the new hosted solution (again, sftp) then follow the restore procedure that goRT linked to above, replacing the backup file name with your one

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
might be worth trying the crown to run in day whilst you are awake, see if it works then?

Suspect you might need to stick some some logging in to get to the bottom of it
I edited the cron to this:

0 12 * * * /home/pi/tmbackup/tmbackup.sh

which has saved the file to the Pi at midday but it didn’t copy over to Google drive. Is that because there’s already one there that’s less than 24 hours old?

Fresh install complete, used the guide again, so thanks @DaveW. Have made a note of details now and triple checked!

I tried adding in TeslamateAgile and charged overnight but it didn't populate. Added in via Services and updated the geo and rate but no luck.
I know a few of you got it up and running, any ideas?

Reactions: DaveW
Fresh install complete, used the guide again, so thanks @DaveW. Have made a note of details now and triple checked!

I tried adding in TeslamateAgile and charged overnight but it didn't populate. Added in via Services and updated the geo and rate but no luck.
I know a few of you got it up and running, any ideas?
Did you set your Octopus region in the yml file?

Also, takes a few minutes to populate, not sure how long you've waited for?

which has saved the file to the Pi at midday but it didn’t copy over to Google drive. Is that because there’s already one there that’s less than 24 hours old?

Just guessing, but from experience elsewhere, is it possible that the cron job is making some assumption about the working directory ? So it thinks something should exist in current working directory, but its running not where it thinks it should be.

Reactions: Roy W.

It shouldn't care about that, if you run that script manually now it'll copy over.

Can I suggest you remove both versions of the cron (I'm going to guess you've now got a root access copy and a normal user one)

Clear out the first one:
crontab -e
Delete the contents you've added

Then clear out the root one:
sudo -i
crontab -e

Once both are empty, recreate whilst still under sudo -i

Reactions: Roy W.
It shouldn't care about that, if you run that script manually now it'll copy over.

Can I suggest you remove both versions of the cron (I'm going to guess you've now got a root access copy and a normal user one)

Clear out the first one:
crontab -e
Delete the contents you've added

Then clear out the root one:
sudo -i
crontab -e

Once both are empty, recreate whilst still under sudo -i
Thanks @DaveW all done. I’ll see what happens tomorrow.