Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate: Yet another self-hosted data logger for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the Raspberry Pi version and have several questions to it:
What is the root password for a connection with ssh?
Opening port 3000 and login in to Grafen is not accepting my grafana user id and password, which one can I use?
What is the recommended way to update to the current version?
Which files/folders do I need to backup ton ensure that the data of my Tesla is not lost ind case of something happens with the raspberry or SD Card?

Thanks

I think I figured out the answer to my own question.

Seems these need to be called via CURL by command line. Tried that and it works. I likely wrongly assumed you could hit these URL's with a web browser.

These type of links don't seem to work on my Docker instance. I get a "Not Found" returned on the webpage:

http://localhost:4000/api/car/1/logging/suspend

Also, I'm not sure if I am supposed to be suspending and / or resuming TeslaMate etc. There seems to be nothing describing why or when I need to be doing that or if I need to be doing that. Bit confused on this aspect.

Anyone have instructions for moving the docker image(s) to another system? Technically I just set this up on my MAC laptop really quickly to take a quick look at it. But its too slick so I want to move (and the data saved so far) to a Windows box that I have running all the time. Worse case scenario I can also move it to a MAC system that I keep running all the time.

It would be nice to just pick up these containers (including any data saved so far) and bring it up on another system.

If that is not possible then building on a new system and exporting / importing the data.

Thanks much to @addison and @Big Tony Tones for this amazing initiative!! I’m anxious to get this up and running on my pi and get Teslamate running.
I am a total neophyte with raspberry pi other than having a few preprogrammed RasPi iot devices on my network. Bought a RasPi 4 downloaded the image file flashed it to a 32 gig sd card booted the pi up and I’m now stuck at a login request. Have tried every user name and password I can find suggested on the net but no luck.
The pi forum states the pi4 boots differently from the pi3 via the eprom so now suspect I should have gone with the pi3 to use.
Any suggestions out there to help me get this working on the pi4?

Not sure how exactly you configured your TeslaMate, but I updated my guide with how to use Tasker with Bluetooth to resume logging. Maybe you can find some tips here:

TeslaMate – DigitalOcean Docker (Step-by-step installation guide) | satheesh.net

I'm missing some Drive Details as well (shown as a diagonal line on the map), so I am guessing that the Tesla didn't start/resume logging until I reached my destination and then correctly showed my return path home.

I have an iPhone. Are there any iOS / iPhone solutions that automatically resume logging???

upload_2019-11-20_10-54-34.png

Last edited:
Thanks @addison for such an amazing app! Looking forward to v2!

I'm running mine on a Synology NAS (per instructions linked from this thread) with the Recommended/Basic setup (no reverse proxy). To send the suspend/resume commands from my Android phone, I'm using Tasker to open an OpenVPN connection to my home VPN server and disconnecting afterwards, with a Profile being BT Near my car's Bluetooth.

fyi for anyone interested:
How do I use tasker with OpenVPN Connect for Android? | OpenVPN

I’m getting a file corruption error downloading this file to a
Windows 10 laptop. Is anyone else having the same problem?
File seems to be ok...had to extract the image file in order to flash it to an sd card using Etcher....was getting validation errors using the zipped file.
Managed to get Teslamate running fine on a pi 4 with a 64gB Ed card

I've got this up and running in Ubuntu over HTTP just Great and Love It!

So, if I want to enable secure remote access to it over HTTPS, can I just follow the Advanced section of Satheesh's excellent document, and then starting up the modified version of docker-compose.yml? Will my existing data in the database still be available?

Probably the main reason for wanting to do this is to make sure I don't miss data collection, and end up with the straight diagonal lines on my map history, so that I get the complete picture. Thoughts?

upload_2019-11-30_9-53-47.png

Thoughts?

So, if I want to enable secure remote access to it over HTTPS, can I just follow the Advanced section of Satheesh's excellent document, and then starting up the modified version of docker-compose.yml? Will my existing data in the database still be available?

Probably the main reason for wanting to do this is to make sure I don't miss data collection, and end up with the straight diagonal lines on my map history, so that I get the complete picture. Thoughts?

View attachment 483086

Thoughts?
The secure remote access has nothing to do with the data collection... teslamate (and all others) collect the data by polling the Tesla servers... they don't connect in... teslamate connects out.

The reason to set up remote access is if you want to view the data when you are not on your local network.

EDIT: The remote access can help you not miss the beginning of drives, but you need set up a Tasker or Siri shortcut that fires when you connect to your car's BT.

And to answer your question, as long as you didn't delete the docker data volume then the data will remain

View attachment 483086

Thoughts?
As hugh mentioned, data collection has nothing to do with viewing your data. Software already collects data from Tesla through https.
Now if you want to view your data through an https connection, you can use stunnel if you happen to use pfsense for your rotuer.

Stunnel is a cool little plugin that makes an https wrapper for anything that does not natively support https.

Was looking for a way to autoupdate the docker image. Found this great program that will auto update docker images

To install just login and run

sudo docker run -d --name ouroboros \
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
pyouroboros/ouroboros

Wait a few minutes and everything gets updated.