Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslanaires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to hear Curt, you have offered good advice here, happy to see it rewarded. I'm a few percentage points away too (not a jinx I hope!) Congratulations to everyone who has supported what's proving to be a great story of entrepreneurship, risk taking, conviction, excellence, and heart. This is the type of company where it feels GREAT to share in their success.
That is awesome! congrats Curt! I've always appreciated your input on here!
:biggrin:

Thank you. Nineteen months of patience has paid off. If you are not already in the club, I expect that you will eventually join it.

Here's a link to post #131 in a 2013 short-term thread which I made a week after I joined this TMC message board and nearly six weeks after I bought all of my shares at an average of $37.93: Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013 - Page 14

Back then the discussion was about how to play swings between $35 and $40. I've never sold any of my shares, although in the meantime I have made a few options trades.

With an average of $40 cost per share one would need to have acquired 3,600 shares to become a Teslanaire today. That initial investment would have cost $144K. All this assuming no Option.

No doubt the return is awesome but the conviction to go that deep is just as impressive. Congrats to all the big winners.

With an average of $40 cost per share one would need to have acquired 3,600 shares to become a Teslanaire today. That initial investment would have cost $144K. All this assuming no Option.
Actually according to Cattledog's initial post on this thread he defined Teslanaire as making $1m pre-tax gain, not $1m stock value.

I did have a lot of luck. As my broker said to me when discounting my success by saying I was just lucky, I responded I would rather be lucky than good.

Gah, can we talk about that? Some people have had the temerity to say "you just got lucky that TSLA keeps going up. You have essentially made one good decision". Yep, investing is easy. That is why everyone is a millionaire.

Gah, can we talk about that? Some people have had the temerity to say "you just got lucky that TSLA keeps going up. You have essentially made one good decision". Yep, investing is easy. That is why everyone is a millionaire.

It's actually hundreds or thousands of good decisions. The initial purchase and then every time you made the decision not to sell.

It's actually hundreds or thousands of good decisions. The initial purchase and then every time you made the decision not to sell.

That's the truth. The thousands of times that people tell you to SELL and you tell them you know what you're doing and you don't sell, because you know what you're doing. And the best part? Those people now ask, 'So ... what else are you investing in these days?'

That's the truth. The thousands of times that people tell you to SELL and you tell them you know what you're doing and you don't sell, because you know what you're doing. And the best part? Those people now ask, 'So ... what else are you investing in these days?'

+1

People have been telling us to sell from 50 all the way up to now saying it is a bubble and could pop anytime, book your profits as they learned their lesson in the 2000 tech crash, etc. The difference with TSLA in my eyes is this:
long term the value of any stock should really be the future value of all of its dividends (obviously discounted back by interest/risk). In my opinion, Tesla is building physical things and and will continue to build/manufacturer more and more at a very high growth rate for years to come at great margins and be the leader of what it manufacturers for many years to come.
When it matures in 10-25 years or does not need to continue growing at such a fast pace then it will be giving a very large dividend out (large relative to today's price but perhaps only 3-5% of the 2000-5000 stock price at that time).

with other software/tech companies that don't build/manufacture things I don't think this outcome is very certain as it was with AAPL...who knows when YHOO, or FB or GOOG will issue a dividend for example, will they ever? Or will they always just reinvest revenue in trying to maintain their market leadership from other startups. That's where the true risk is in my opinion

Yes, plus 1 to all that.
although I am asking myself what else I should be buying? Somehow my TSLA purchases have eclipsed the rest of my portfolio and I am bit imbalanced. Don't get me wrong - great problem to have and, along the lines of Bonnie's advice, selling to balance performance down to average returns is not my idea of a smart move.

+1
People have been telling us to sell from 50 all the way up to now saying it is a bubble and could pop anytime, book your profits as they learned their lesson in the 2000 tech crash, etc.

+1000

Yes, plus 1 to all that.
although I am asking myself what else I should be buying? Somehow my TSLA purchases have eclipsed the rest of my portfolio and I am bit imbalanced. Don't get me wrong - great problem to have and, along the lines of Bonnie's advice, selling to balance performance down to average returns is not my idea of a smart move.

I did invest in a startup earlier this year. Not public. Yet. For me, it comes down to knowing enough about the investment that my initial response is an unqualified YES!!!, rather than a 'well, need to investigate further'. If I don't feel that passion about it, that excitement, then it's not going to work for me. (And I can see some of you backing away from your screen, thinking 'she's not one of us!'.) I'm okay with totally unbalanced. (No snarky remarks, please.)

Here's the deal - If I'm not excited by the company / technology / team / market potential , then I'm not going to pay attention like I should. And if I'm not excited about it, why should anyone else be excited about it? So that's my first rule. No passion-less investing. I've probably missed out on more than one great deal. But you know what? My annual returns are, ummm, well hey! I'm getting an X! And keeping my Roadster. :) Tesla won out on the YES!!!! and continues to do so. Gigafactory? OMG YES!!! I pay attention to just about everything that comes across on the company. I've been on the factory floor 5 times now. LinkedIn is sure I must have worked for Tesla at some point because of all my internal connections. I can regurgitate their reports on request.

Wasn't it Buffett who recommended growing your portfolio by finding a winning company and really understanding it well? Diversification is for those who don't completely trust their own judgment. I know the market can do things that I can't control. So I have my own safeguards in place to protect myself. But I invest in companies and technology and management teams that I believe in. Unqualified YES.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I did invest in a startup earlier this year. Not public. Yet. For me, it comes down to knowing enough about the investment that my initial response is an unqualified YES!!!, rather than a 'well, need to investigate further'. If I don't feel that passion about it, that excitement, then it's not going to work for me. (And I can see some of you backing away from your screen, thinking 'she's not one of us!'.) I'm okay with totally unbalanced. (No snarky remarks, please.)

Here's the deal - If I'm not excited by the company / technology / team / market potential , then I'm not going to pay attention like I should. And if I'm not excited about it, why should anyone else be excited about it? So that's my first rule. No passion-less investing. I've probably missed out on more than one great deal. But you know what? My annual returns are, ummm, well hey! I'm getting an X! And keeping my Roadster. :) Tesla won out on the YES!!!! and continues to do so. Gigafactory? OMG YES!!! I pay attention to just about everything that comes across on the company. I've been on the factory floor 5 times now. LinkedIn is sure I must have worked for Tesla at some point because of all my internal connections. I can regurgitate their reports on request.

Wasn't it Buffett who recommended growing your portfolio by finding a winning company and really understanding it well? Diversification is for those who don't completely trust their own judgment. I know the market can do things that I can't control. So I have my own safeguards in place to protect myself. But I invest in companies and technology and management teams that I believe in. Unqualified YES.

+1,000,000

I'm currently warring with myself.
I fully expect TSLA to continue to rise annually.

However, I am retired and want to build our net zero, "live in it until we die" house.
I can sell some of our dividend stocks, sell TSLA or a bit of both.

Part of me would LOVE to be able to say our TSLA earnings paid for our net zero home, or a significant portion of it.

Do I give up future earnings (TSLA), current income (dividends) or debt (yuck, evil, hate that idea).

However, this is a first world problem, so no complaints.

581 Actual decisions. It seems I make $1783 every time I trade, so I should start doing it more...

decision_pics.JPG

Anyone get a club membership offer from the last few weeks' price action?

Yes, thank you TSLA, Tesla and TMC.

The 1m$ is before taxes and before car purchases - right?

Now let's work an the second m$.

Actually as of now I have set up a separate IB account (easy to have several accounts there) with only TSLA and TSLA options.This is a substantial part of my total investment portfolio. Thank you Bonnie for convincing me not to do rebalancing. Now I am a fan of focussed investing. I love the learning experience here. New bulbs light up in my head almost every day I consult this forum (ie daily).

I'm currently warring with myself.
I fully expect TSLA to continue to rise annually.

However, I am retired and want to build our net zero, "live in it until we die" house.
I can sell some of our dividend stocks, sell TSLA or a bit of both.

Part of me would LOVE to be able to say our TSLA earnings paid for our net zero home, or a significant portion of it.

Do I give up future earnings (TSLA), current income (dividends) or debt (yuck, evil, hate that idea).

However, this is a first world problem, so no complaints.
I really don't understand people's reluctance to use debt, especially when they could write a check to pay back the debt. Every large corporation uses debt (bonds) to leverage its equity. Why should you rely solely on equity financing? US tax law makes taking on mortgage debt very advantageous to responsible borrowers.

There is an irrational myth that "consumer debt" is the path to financial ruin. Poppycock. Sure, taking on debt to live beyond your means is folly, but when the after-tax cost of interest is lower than the dividends on your equity or the expected capital gains on your TSLA holdings, it's hard to make a rational case for not taking on the mortgage debt.