Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Canberra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cant say ive seen it, only because id remember number plates like that.

8 hey, There is a orange roadster that has been here for a while so that prob jumps the numbers up a bit.

considering Canberra is small, might have to consider a vinyl wrap to set the cars apart.... and to protect the paint of course! :smile:

Does this vehicle look familiar to any Canberrans?

Spotted in Australia and New Zealand - Page 62

Registered in the ACT but spotted in Ulverstone, Tasmania.
I was at motor registry today and the guy in charge said that they have registered 23 Teslas so far in the ACT. Since we know that there are only 8 HPWCs in Canberra and surrounds, it would appear that many are taking advantage of Canberra's lack of stamp duty.

I was at motor registry today and the guy in charge said that they have registered 23 Teslas so far in the ACT. Since we know that there are only 8 HPWCs in Canberra and surrounds, it would appear that many are taking advantage of Canberra's lack of stamp duty.

How do you know there are only 8 HPWCs in Canberra area? If they are installed in someone's private house or business how would you know if they existed unless they register them in plugshare or similar?

Since we know that there are only 8 HPWCs in Canberra and surrounds, it would appear that many are taking advantage of Canberra's lack of stamp duty.
yes "appear" is right word to use .... it s entirely possible that current and future owners (including myself) in Canberra or anywhere else use their household 10A wall socket to charge overnight and thus don't have to visit a HPWC.

I was going to buy from Canberra (live in Melbourne)....you DO NOT have to sign a stat dec or any such paperwork that other people have alluded to...it's a grey area but in the end since my car will be body wrapped with my business information/logo I thought it would be very unprofessional to have ACT plates on a Melbourne local small business car.

In the end we're all spending North of $140k, the extra $6K isn't that much to be honest...whilst I agree all states should be doing a better job at dropping taxes on electric cars fitting within the law helps me sleep at night.

-ECIT

How do you know there are only 8 HPWCs in Canberra area? If they are installed in someone's private house or business how would you know if they existed unless they register them in plugshare or similar?
Hi TesAus, I got the number of HPWCs from the installer and automatically assumed that people would use the recommended installer. I just can't imagine using a 10amp wall socket and the UMC as a viable option given about 10kms per hour charge rate. I don't want anyone to think I am critical of people from outside the ACT registering their vehicles here, I would be tempted myself given the stamp duty in other States. In any case it was just an observation, sorry if I have offended anyone.

Hey if i was still working (once a fortnight it used to be) in the ACT, i would have registered my car there. The taxes in this country are wicked. Taxes on taxes is immoral, i believe. Also to charge us tax on shipping cost is also immoral. If we need to be charged consumption taxes it should be on the base price of the car, not on what it costs to get the car to this country! Stamp duty on the luxury car tax? Amazing that the NRMA has not protested. A lobby group for motorists?

Hey if i was still working (once a fortnight it used to be) in the ACT, i would have registered my car there. The taxes in this country are wicked. Taxes on taxes is immoral, i believe. Also to charge us tax on shipping cost is also immoral. If we need to be charged consumption taxes it should be on the base price of the car, not on what it costs to get the car to this country! Stamp duty on the luxury car tax? Amazing that the NRMA has not protested. A lobby group for motorists?

I hear you Dborn. When they brought in the GST they were supposed to get rid of stamp duty too. But now you actually pay stamp duty on the GST. Talk about insult to injury.

Hi TesAus, I got the number of HPWCs from the installer and automatically assumed that people would use the recommended installer. I just can't imagine using a 10amp wall socket and the UMC as a viable option given about 10kms per hour charge rate. I don't want anyone to think I am critical of people from outside the ACT registering their vehicles here, I would be tempted myself given the stamp duty in other States. In any case it was just an observation, sorry if I have offended anyone.

Hi Billm, the HPWC's can be installed by any electrician so I suspect that there would be quite a few more that were installed by their regular electrician if they have one doing other work, or maybe even themselves if they are suitably trained.

I doubt you have offended anyone, we sometimes get a bit stroppy, but are generally a fairly laid back bunch on the forum overall!

I thought it would be very unprofessional to have ACT plates on a Melbourne local small business car

Maybe take a look at the plates that are available through the motor registry as some are hard to identify unless you are used to seeing them in the ACT. Even some custom ones might work out cheaper than the duty.

Personally at first glance of VIC plates in the ACT I don't notice the difference until something makes me look twice.

Just a thought...

the HPWC's can be installed by any electrician so I suspect that there would be quite a few more that were installed by their regular electrician if they have one doing other work, or maybe even themselves if they are suitably trained.

I've had a fair bit of electrical work done since we bought a 1973 house a few years back. Just got my regular sparkie out to install the HPWC.

I'm in Canberra, so I'd be one of BillM's numbers =)

I noticed a detailing place in Canberra has done a few Opticoats on Tesla's. I would have thought with Canberra's particularly 'stoney' roads there would be more after XPEL clear bra's. Something a bit more than stain and light swirl protection. Ive got XPEL on the front of my current Audi and then Opticoated the rest and would hate to think of what the front end would look like without it (like my previous BMW!)

Are the HPWC's a fair price to be installed?

I noticed a detailing place in Canberra has done a few Opticoats on Tesla's. I would have thought with Canberra's particularly 'stoney' roads there would be more after XPEL clear bra's. Something a bit more than stain and light swirl protection. Ive got XPEL on the front of my current Audi and then Opticoated the rest and would hate to think of what the front end would look like without it (like my previous BMW!)

About a grand.

It very much depends upon your individual set up. If your distribution board is close to the garage, is suitably rated and has a spare circuit breaker slot then it will be a lot cheaper than if you require upgrades to your board and a long run of cable.

I assume that the HPWC unit itself still comes free with (or in advance) of the car or has that changed?