Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Movies & TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
House of Lies referenced the Musk-Eberhard spat.

Young Chairman and Product Guru of Gates Motors having a spat with older number 2 at Gates Motors.

Gates being the maker of luxury electric vehicles.

Fictional Musk in jail with Marty for similar short period for some white collar financial crime.

On last week's "Real Time with Bill Maher" episode that I watched last night, Jay Leno admitted that he drove to the taping in an electric car. In his comments, Jay discussed that electric cars are for daily errands. He didn't say Tesla, but what would Jay Leno drive?

ABC-TV
Castle and the cops can't find a black Model S that he saw with blood-stained leather seats after following it in his (product placement) Buick.
How can they not locate it? :(

The S was shot with lighting that revealed only 2-4 sq feet of the car at a time (the rear, a couple of "tight" side shots showing the retracted handles but not the window lines, a patch of the front hood but no outline) while the Buick was completely lit, shown in full, angled to accentuate the grill/badge/logo, etc.

Last edited:
Tesla was mentioned a couple of episodes ago on Castle as well... something about a suspect purposefully crashing their Tesla.. all I could think was Duh, not real! Who in their right mind would crash their Tesla?!? Tonight's epi is still queued up on my DVR - looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Saw Gone Girl last night with Ben Affleck. Good shot's of the Tesla. Wonder if they paid him to use his Black Tesla?:rolleyes:

From my understanding it is surprisingly common for productions to use actor/crew vehicles during shooting to save on costs. The alternative to that route is sponsorship/product placement which you not only get the free car to use for shooting but sometimes get kickbacks (Tesla participates in neither of these to my knowledge). The last would be they *really* want that particular car in the show for whatever reason and they rent/borrow one for that purpose (or buy one in the case of a car that is going to get totally destroyed). Depends on the goals of the production. Since Tesla still does not pay for advertising, and even providing a car to a production would be considered paying for advertising, I have to think that any time you see a Tesla in a show/movie it was either because of the first category (House of Lies is one such example) or because of the third category (Extant would be an example of that... although they might have used a mix of options 1 and 3. 1 since they had at one point at least 5 different model S in a single episode, and 3 since they borrowed the prototype model X.)

saw "50 Shades of Grey" last night, scene is the parking garage, "Anastasia" asks Christen, "Which one is yours?", answer "Their all mine". The door handles of a Model S can clearly be seen at that point.. That's the only place I noticed the Model S in the movie.

Since Mr. Burns owns the nuclear power station on The Simpsons, it figures that he would have a Model S.

From March 1, 2015 episode.

The.Simpsons.S26E15.jpg

Just been catching up on episodes of Castle. One episode the first murder victim has a Tesla and appears to be murdered and dumped in the back of the Tesla. The blood really messed up those light colored seats. Not next gen seats though.
The episode called "the wrong stuff". Takes place amid a mars expedition simulation funded by the billionaire entrepreneur "Viggo Jensen". Haven't finished the episode yet but I'm guessing there is more than a little Elon Musk in that character. There is also a Sir William Rahser character which is more than a little Sir Richard Branson.
Updated...
OK, maybe "more than a little" was overstating it. There is an american billionaire with an exotic first name who is trying to get to mars. There was also a Knighted, British billionaire "adventurer" who is competing with "Viggo" to get to Mars. Other than that no similarities. They definitely made the Brit look like he was just trying to steal technology from "Viggo". Not sure Sir Richard would have appreciated being compared with the fictional Sir William.

Last edited:
I thought when my wife and i watched "50 Shades of Grey" that there was a scene where the woman asked Mr. Grey "which one is yours", and he replied "All of them".
well i haven't found the scene, but this picture sure looks like a partial Model S on the right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 898
Last edited:
I thought when my wife and i watched "50 Shades of Grey" that there was a scene where the woman asked Mr. Grey "which one is yours", and he replied "All of them".
well i haven't found the scene, but this picture sure looks like a partial Model S on the right.
Somewhat related...
Whats the link between Fifty Shades of Gray and Tesla? : TreeHugger

E.L. James, the best-selling author of the Fifty Shades of Gray trilogy
apparently has a UK Sig.

Caught this glimpse on the new CSI:Cyber show. The context was that the lead character played by Patricia Arquette was able to hack and take over complete control of the car "in a matter of seconds". The car was not mentioned by name and she is strategically placed to block the T logo :smile:

20150315_021316992_iOS.jpg