Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's response to me leaking info about the P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My post simply stated "I will be glad to prove it to you, I just need to get a model S so I can do so legally. Since you're the one challenging the refutation, I think it's only natural you take equal financial responsibility in the endeavor."

You won't do this though, because leaving the situation in a state of ambiguity makes your argument seem more plausible than it really is.

---

Alternatively, let's assume I am able to find a financial means to obtain a model S on my own merit (either by negotiation elsewhere, or luck)... I would have absolutely no interest in sharing any useful information with the community because of the lack of support. You want the milk, you need to buy the cow too.
Your point before was that this was trivial and doesn't require technical expertise. You shared with us how to use grep without asking anyone to donate a Linux computer to you, so why not share how to get root shell access if it's just as trivial to do? Obviously you have no clue how to do this and your therefore your claim that it's easy to figure out is unsubstantiated, or you'd be able to articulate the how-to in a short paragraph that anyone without technical expertise can follow and get themselves root access.

- - - Updated - - -

And Tesla is aware that people already have this access. So, if seeing information in plain-text (or jpg form) would reveal something top secret, they obviously aren't trying to keep it top secret.
I respectfully disagree. This is "plain text" only if you gain access to the secured system. It was included with the build not because Tesla didn't think it was a secret, but because they thought the system was secured. Maintaining separate codelines in order to prevent new feature information from entering the builds is time consuming, costly, and a source for issues (missed bug fixes while merging, reduced testing, etc).

People have talked about the location of the Ethernet port and SSH access for two years. It was highly documented at the Def Con Hacking Conference, where Tesla was provided with all the details.
Those were patched. wk057 used a different method, or a backdoor he installed prior to the patch (and yes, that would mean the patch was not complete).

And to talk about wk057's "ego"? Really? Many in this thread have a signature with their $80,000-$100,000+ vehicle displayed in it. (Myself included, not pointing fingers.) People with low numbers or Signatures/Founders (rightfully) boast about that as well. They're saying "Look, I was into this Tesla before it was mainstream." And they're awesome for leading the way. But they're still doing it for ego.
I think you are making an assumption. Just because you do this for ego doesn't mean everyone else does it for the same reason. For example, I list what cars I have not because I want to boast, but so that when I share any advice and/or share experience with my cars, people know what cars I had experience with, what options, etc, rather than assume or have to ask "what VIN number is your car", "does it have XYZ option", etc, etc. You may find it crazy, but I also stripped all badging and red calipers from my cars. My P85D looks identical to my prior S60 except for those who can spot AP hardware. Same color inside and out, same wheels, etc.

If Tesla is aware of the SSH access and Elon/Tesla isn't upset, let's move on?
What sources do you base your statement that you Elon/Tesla wasn't upset over this leak?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone point me to the post where this connector is described so I can build one please! Ironic though it is, my search-fu is weak today

Googling "Model S ethernet pinout" led me to Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network as well as picture below. I'm qualifying my answer with "source=google" because I never built it myself.
MSEthernetConnector.jpg

What sources do you base your statement that you Elon/Tesla wasn't upset over this leak?

Twitter Exchange on March 5th

wk057: "So, #Tesla is trying to retaliate by remotely commanding my car to downgrade to 2.12.45. I cut them off. @elonmusk @TeslaMotors A word?"

Musk: "@wk057 @TeslaMotors Wasn't done at my request. Good hacking is a gift."

wk057: "@elonmusk Hadn't thought so! Thanks! Just strange, that's all. Sure it will get cleared up soon. #whitehat Off to enjoy my Ludicrous P85D :)"

- - - Updated - - -

I also find this all so timely and ironic because I discovered a small but potential exploit in the last firmware this past month. I mentioned it on this forum before realizing it might be a risk, then deleted my original posts. Who do you think went out of their way to send me a PM, giving me information on who to contact at Tesla to report it? Hint: It wasn't any of the people on here complaining or assuming malicious or ego-based intent.

Twitter Exchange on March 5th

wk057: "So, #Tesla is trying to retaliate by remotely commanding my car to downgrade to 2.12.45. I cut them off. @elonmusk @TeslaMotors A word?"

Musk: "@wk057 @TeslaMotors Wasn't done at my request. Good hacking is a gift."

wk057: "@elonmusk Hadn't thought so! Thanks! Just strange, that's all. Sure it will get cleared up soon. #whitehat Off to enjoy my Ludicrous P85D :)"

So the only source is Elon's tweet (wk057's tweets do not tell you how Elon or Tesla feels). "Wasn't done at my request. Good hacking is a gift." doesn't imply to me than Elon was happy about this. He also used a term "good hacking" but never said releasing information about upcoming features is considered good hacking. Lastly, obviously someone at Tesla was upset enough to initiate a downgrade, so maybe "Tesla" and "Elon" should not be grouped together when saying they were not upset about this? ;-)

PS> I personally don't think the downgrade was retaliation, but merely someones idea of containment of unintentionally released information. If wk didn't have a backup, it could have worked.

I also find this all so timely and ironic because I discovered a small but potential exploit in the last firmware this past month. I mentioned it on this forum before realizing it might be a risk, then deleted my original posts. Who do you think went out of their way to send me a PM, giving me information on who to contact at Tesla to report it? Hint: It wasn't any of the people on here complaining or assuming malicious or ego-based intent.
Kudos to that person for doing so.

So the only source is Elon's tweet (wk057's tweets do not tell you how Elon or Tesla feels). "Wasn't done at my request. Good hacking is a gift." doesn't imply to me than Elon was happy about this. He also used a term "good hacking" but never said releasing information about upcoming features is considered good hacking. Lastly, obviously someone at Tesla was upset enough to initiate a downgrade, so maybe "Tesla" and "Elon" should not be grouped together when saying they were not upset about this? ;-)

PS> I personally don't think the downgrade was retaliation, but merely someones idea of containment of unintentionally released information. If wk didn't have a backup, it could have worked.

Of course wk057's tweets don't tell us how Elon or Tesla feels. They were provided for context.

Now, let's put Elon's tweet into context: If wk057 had physically stolen a Tesla, or released proprietary source code, or done something truly malicious... do you think Elon would respond with a tweet? Of course not. So, it's obvious it's not a "big deal." Let's be clear. If it was, there would be lawyers and private communications, not a Twitter response.

You're making an assumption that someone was "upset enough to initiate a downgrade." What evidence is there that someone was "upset"? Maybe they were thankful a lot more proprietary news wasn't leaked? Who knows?

Googling "Model S ethernet pinout" led me to Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network as well as picture below. I'm qualifying my answer with "source=google" because I never built it myself.
View attachment 114103

thanks

+1 rep for reminding me of the irony, with url :p

- - - Updated - - -

Kudos to that person for doing so.

Ok, the secret NOT worth keeping here is who gave the helpful side advice. Credit where credit is due and all that.

What evidence is there that someone was "upset"? Maybe they were thankful a lot more proprietary news wasn't leaked? Who knows?
You are right on the fact that I made an assumption as to the reason why someone was compelled to attempt a targeted forced downgrade for a single user. IMHO, "upset" is more plausible than "thankful" as the motivation to perform such targeted, forced downgrade.

You are right on the fact that I made an assumption as to the reason why someone was compelled to attempt a targeted forced downgrade for a single user. IMHO, "upset" is more plausible than "thankful" as the motivation to perform such targeted, forced downgrade.
If you had a business and one of your customers was leaking harmful, possibly misleading or even untrue, information about your product on the internet, would you continue to do business with them?

good luck reselling that particular hacked P85 when the time comes...it will be labeled forever

I'd wager there are people on this board that would gladly buy a hacked Tesla anything from wk057. I don't think he'd have problems selling anything he wants to sell.

Besides I think Tesla would take it as a trade in so long as the dash looks normal when he drives in. If you think Tesla is going to blacklist his cars because he tinkers you need to loosen the tin foil hat. They buy and sell cars all the time and won't blink at taking more of his money if he wants to upgrade to a newer Tesla.

If you had a business and one of your customers was leaking harmful, possibly misleading or even untrue, information about your product on the internet, would you continue to do business with them?

That isn't the point.

In those circumstances, the very last thing I would do is take away something that was already sold and delivered to them.

I may decide to take them to court if what they did was illegal or defamatory.