Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslascope.. (alternative to TeslaFi)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@DOCAL I've always wanted to participate and live only a few hours away, so I'll look forward to that!

@tfraley An update will be coming out in the next two weeks which will allow for the setting of electricity cost (per kWh) for your home/location and for Supercharging. Any charges and drives will use this metric for determining costs. An easy to update option for altering that cost per charge/drive will also be possible.

Using those calculations will allow for providing a break down of a trip's cost, as well as historical costs (weekly, monthly, and annual averages) as well as by month metrics.

As for sharing trips, this will also soon be a feature. By default, everything, from the vehicle itself to its charges and drives is private. An option to produce a sharable url for an individual charge session or drive will be added, but will require confirming once (or twice) that this is intended and that it's acknowledged. Think of it as the Google Docs(and friends)/Apple Pages collaborative urls methods.

With these sharable routes, you will be able to provide with the other individual(s) the route that was taken, the time it took place and duration, and any other metrics available on the page.

People need to stop watching Gone in 60 Seconds. Or buy and aluminum foil car cover to go with your aluminum foil hat. Seriously, who are you that you are in fear of being tracked? Plus remind me again of how many Tesla’s have been stolen and not recovered? Besides I don’t think there is a rash of car thieves hacking the planet trying to find their next score.

@tylercorsair Thank you so much for the update. I'm going to keep an eye on your service for sure.
It does have a nice clean look but at this point it's playing catch up to teslastics it is a buck cheaper fyi.

Well keep it active for the duration of the trail and see how things goes.

One thing you have over it int this point s the control Tesla features some people may like this or may be security conscious on it.
I for one will probably never use the control from the web and would be one less thing in the back of my head. I use ab assistant from my phone / watch.

Keep up the good work, interested to see what it evolves into when you get there

@tylercorsair Thank you so much for the update. I'm going to keep an eye on your service for sure.
It does have a nice clean look but at this point it's playing catch up to teslastics it is a buck cheaper fyi.

Well keep it active for the duration of the trail and see how things goes.

One thing you have over it int this point s the control Tesla features some people may like this or may be security conscious on it.
I for one will probably never use the control from the web and would be one less thing in the back of my head. I use ab assistant from my phone / watch.

Keep up the good work, interested to see what it evolves into when you get there

One thing I'd like to push for is for Tesla to improve their APIs to provide a form of gateway for third parties to use. This would eliminate the need for ever touching credentials for generating tokens, and would also allow for "scopes", or otherwise being able to say "Hey, I don't want/plan to use controls, so I'd rather this third party to not do so either".

That would make for a far safer experience for everyone. Once there's a bit of traction, I'm going to attempt to get this on their roadmap.

At the end of the day, it’s a private API that isn’t properly secured (tokens with no access control are not sufficient for sharing authorization with a third party) and is undocumented. It’s not meant for what these folks are using it for, period.

If you wanna hand some guy you don’t know that token, more power to you. Send me your bank info while you’re at it.

At the end of the day, it’s a private API that isn’t properly secured (tokens with no access control are not sufficient for sharing authorization with a third party) and is undocumented. It’s not meant for what these folks are using it for, period.

If you wanna hand some guy you don’t know that token, more power to you. Send me your bank info while you’re at it.

It helps significently that they're revokable, which guarantees that if there are concerns of access that it can be handled very quickly.

While it is a private API, it is something that has been used by third parties for about four to five years now and even by content creators or influencers who have been directly supported by Tesla / Elon (ie: Ben Sullins). With the increase of Tesla's driverbase, I'm hopeful that we'll see improvements to this sometime in the next year.

Hi,
Trying to shift the talk here from the security related issues *all* platforms which connect to the API has.

Just signed up as I'm trying to decide which service to use, I like the "freshness" of teslascope, let's see if the feature list is enough for my requirements.

Noticed one thing. My vehicle is missing its wheels!

upload_2019-7-31_23-49-21.png

Hope noone stole them while I was charging. ;)

I assume there are API actions for everything in the app? A barrier for me (in addition to the privacy concerns) is the idea that someone other than me or Tesla that could remotely:
Unlock my car
Open the trunk/frunk
Set a valet pin I don’t know
Set a speed limit while I’m driving

And these are the API calls I know about... is there a call to disable the car?

I am more at risk of loss from leaving my phone in my car (as I did last weekend when shopping) or leaving my front door wide open when I went away for a couple of days (as I did last month), or leaving my wallet in a restaurant (as I did a couple of months ago) than by someone going to all the work of hacking some car account that I have.

Some people view the world as a dangerous place where sometimes good things happen.

I view the world as a good place where something dangerous things happen.

Reactions: V__2
Just wanna chime in here with my 2cents.

I have been using Teslascope for about a week or so now and I've been enjoying it. I tried out TeslaFi for a day and it was way too unnecessarily complex and the UI is terrible. I'm probably going to get flamed for that opinion but to each his own.

Teslascope was a breath of fresh air with a pleasing UI. It doesn't have all the features of teslafi but it's still in beta and more features are added every day. On top of that, @tylercorsair is very active and quick to implement features and fix bugs. I tweeted him about an issue regarding the charging session displaying order and he changed it almost immediately.

I hope he continues working on this and keep up the great work!

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
The control stuff is what scares me. Being able to look at my GPS data doesn't bother me, I don't go anywhere interesting and my address is probably easy enough to find if you really wanted to. But being able to use the app to effect the controls of the car, open the doors, pop the trunk, etc... is a bit scary. But this is true of the official Tesla app to isn't it? So if you use that and someone targets Tesla's servers couldn't they get all the same data?

Tyler being a software developer myself I have a few suggestions...

1) Get 2FA implemented ASAP and make sure it's NOT just SMS based. Offer an option for using 2FA apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, etc... as the one and only option.

2) Allow users to set up some sort of PIN code they must provide when talking to your support staff and prevent your support staff from bypassing it without the code. This prevents social engineering of the support staff.

3) If you're not using controls for anything useful then don't even offer them. No one really needs to log into your website to unlock their car or pop their trunk. And if you feel like you do need those features for some reason then offer a way to protect them behind a secondary PIN code (optional) so they have a double layer of security over them.

Reactions: jvmoore1 and DOCAL
I may just try Teslascope and test it out.

I was a subscriber of TeslaFi for a year and loved it but when I bought my new model 3 I found TeslaFi was keeping my computer (V3) fan on constantly. I canceled the subscription changed my password and the car finally would go to sleep and fan turned off.

I'm pleased to announce that Teslascope now has native Two-Factor Authentication, using a proper OTP (Google2FA) and works with all of your favorites such as Google Authenticator, Authy, 1Password (what I use myself), and so forth.

We are also now the only Tesla-related web service with this fundamentally feature for protecting each and every vehicle owner's sensitive information.

Tyler being a software developer myself I have a few suggestions...

1) Get 2FA implemented ASAP and make sure it's NOT just SMS based. Offer an option for using 2FA apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, etc... as the one and only option.

2) Allow users to set up some sort of PIN code they must provide when talking to your support staff and prevent your support staff from bypassing it without the code. This prevents social engineering of the support staff.

3) If you're not using controls for anything useful then don't even offer them. No one really needs to log into your website to unlock their car or pop their trunk. And if you feel like you do need those features for some reason then offer a way to protect them behind a secondary PIN code (optional) so they have a double layer of security over them.

1) You asked and you shall receive!

2) As I'm the only individual solely working on the platform and who directly interfaces with members, this isn't vital for right now, although as additional support options are added (such as Live Chat), I will absolutely implement something like this, with automatic invalidation after ten minutes. I can currently validate ownership of an account by email (if contacted using the account's email), or other ways such as verifying VIN when absolutely necessary. I can also verify using silly things like "Turn the passenger seat heater on." in vehicles where that is applicable when all other methods fail.

3) This is offered as other competitors have/do, and was requested by about 63% of the alpha testers. In the next week or two, I'll be adding an option to toggle these off / hide them by default!

Hi,
Noticed one thing. My vehicle is mi;)ssing its wheels!

This should now be fixed, let me know if not! Thank you for reporting it.

Teslascope was a breath of fresh air with a pleasing UI. It doesn't have all the features of teslafi but it's still in beta and more features are added every day. On top of that, @tylercorsair is very active and quick to implement features and fix bugs. I tweeted him about an issue regarding the charging session displaying order and he changed it almost immediately.

I hope he continues working on this and keep up the great work!

You rock! Thank you for this feedback.

Reactions: hiroshiy and omkar
Found another thing, I have the portal set to metric units - but the conversion seems to be missing. Yesterday I drove a stretch on the Autobahn in Germany and remember topping out at around 150 km/h (~95 mph). The drive shows that my recorded top speed was 93 km/h which look like there's a conversion missing.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Is there a way to generate an access token without using Tesla.com credentials. This option appears to be available on teslafi.

There is! We provide the same experience as TeslaFi, where you can provide an access token when signing up instead of using your Tesla.com credentials. To also keep your account safer, we offer 2FA which no other Tesla-related (even including Tesla) offers.