Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaTracks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I downloaded the app last night. Even before driving this morning there was a trip logged for 2.5 hrs and supposedly 0.83 mi at 533AM today. I then drove 0.5 mi yet there are multiple extra trips logged for no apparent reason that I didn't drive, and I assume perhaps reflect time charging? I would think Trips in the app would only reflect actual driving time and not charging time?
Morning. We are making some tweaks to the data. You will get an updated build shortly that will solve for some of these issues. Did you use the app over the weekend, any feedback? Thanks!

HI all.

Thanks for all the help with testing. Another build will be coming out to everyone who is currently using the app and we will be inviting another 25 people or so this week. If you could please post some feedback to the forum, specifically, what's working well for you and what in your mind still needs some improvements. This will help us hone in on the actual launch, which is coming soon.

I downloaded the app last night. Even before driving this morning there was a trip logged for 2.5 hrs and supposedly 0.83 mi at 533AM today. I then drove 0.5 mi yet there are multiple extra trips logged for no apparent reason that I didn't drive, and I assume perhaps reflect time charging? I would think Trips in the app would only reflect actual driving time and not charging time?

Hey Mike, there are currently 4 different types of "trips" in the system. You shouldn't necessarily see all of them, and I can see where are few are slipping through. Each trip has a start and end odometer, start and end range, plus other information related to it.

1. DrivingTrip. This is probably what you expect to see, which when you get in the car and drive somewhere. odometer goes up, range goes down.

2. ChargingTrip. This is what we use to measure a charge. This is mostly interesting to see at superchargers, since you can track the speed that the battery gets energy. Generally, if your battery is warm, it starts out high and then comes in slower and slower. The tracking screen should give you estimates of what your charge will be in 10 minute increments of the future, and how long it will take to get to 50 mi, 100mi, 150mi and 200mi of range.

3. PhantomTrip - This is what you were seeing. A phantom trip is where the car is stationary, the odometer is the same at the start to finish, and the car didn't move, but the range went down. This is especially pronouced in the north where the temp is cold and its windy, and energy is used to keep the battery within operating conditions. This sometimes called vampire drain.

4. ChargeReport - This is a "trip" that starts when you unplug the car until you plug the car in again. For example, I don't ahve a regular place to charge my car in, so I charge at a local garage and then drive around for days until I plug in again. My charge report will tell me how many days I went from plugging in, how much mileage was lost to phantom drain, traffic, etc.

You were probably seeing both a PhantomTrip and the ChargeReport in the profile/trips section. It should be labeled better soon.

Reactions: bschippers718
Hey Mike, there are currently 4 different types of "trips" in the system. You shouldn't necessarily see all of them, and I can see where are few are slipping through. Each trip has a start and end odometer, start and end range, plus other information related to it.

1. DrivingTrip. This is probably what you expect to see, which when you get in the car and drive somewhere. odometer goes up, range goes down.

2. ChargingTrip. This is what we use to measure a charge. This is mostly interesting to see at superchargers, since you can track the speed that the battery gets energy. Generally, if your battery is warm, it starts out high and then comes in slower and slower. The tracking screen should give you estimates of what your charge will be in 10 minute increments of the future, and how long it will take to get to 50 mi, 100mi, 150mi and 200mi of range.

3. PhantomTrip - This is what you were seeing. A phantom trip is where the car is stationary, the odometer is the same at the start to finish, and the car didn't move, but the range went down. This is especially pronouced in the north where the temp is cold and its windy, and energy is used to keep the battery within operating conditions. This sometimes called vampire drain.

4. ChargeReport - This is a "trip" that starts when you unplug the car until you plug the car in again. For example, I don't ahve a regular place to charge my car in, so I charge at a local garage and then drive around for days until I plug in again. My charge report will tell me how many days I went from plugging in, how much mileage was lost to phantom drain, traffic, etc.

You were probably seeing both a PhantomTrip and the ChargeReport in the profile/trips section. It should be labeled better soon.

Thanks this is helpful to know.

It seems that one way to identify non-driving trips are those that do not have a location. For example it says "- to -" instead of "Miami to Tampa".

Personally I would keep driving trips separated on their own page from the non driving trips.

Lastly I have noticed up to 357% efficiency - can you explain how you can get >100% efficiency?

Thanks for the work you've put into this - it's a great app and looking forward to changes.

The trips section is currently not loading for me. Is it because the app is having trouble connecting to the car or something I'm doing wrong?
Hi, sorry you're running into an issue, can you post a screen shot and we'll look into it. It can take a minute or so at times to notice you're driving, are you underground by chance? Generally speaking, the car and phone need to be online. Let me know some specifics and we'll try to figure out what's going on. We also had a bunch of people start using the app in the last 24 hrs so there's some new strains there as well. Thanks for the feedback.

New interface improvements. Attached is an updated look at the user profile. More coming soon.
Profile Stats2x.png

Hi, sorry you're running into an issue, can you post a screen shot and we'll look into it. It can take a minute or so at times to notice you're driving, are you underground by chance? Generally speaking, the car and phone need to be online. Let me know some specifics and we'll try to figure out what's going on. We also had a bunch of people start using the app in the last 24 hrs so there's some new strains there as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Actually it works now. I was just scrolling through trip to see if I can trap vampire drain. I realized that I have to be driving the car/in the car for the trip section to load. Is that supposed to happen?

Thanks this is helpful to know.

It seems that one way to identify non-driving trips are those that do not have a location. For example it says "- to -" instead of "Miami to Tampa".

Personally I would keep driving trips separated on their own page from the non driving trips.

Lastly I have noticed up to 357% efficiency - can you explain how you can get >100% efficiency?

Thanks for the work you've put into this - it's a great app and looking forward to changes.

We've split out non driving trips now, still have them on the backend but are looking for a different place to put them. Right now you should be able to see the data inside the activity stream.

As far as efficiency goes, this is calculated by comparing the change in "battery range" with the change in milage. So if you drove 5 miles and the range went down 5 miles (say 125 to 120) then that is considered to be a 100% efficient trip. If you drove more miles than you lost range, say you went 7 miles but the range still went from 125 to 120, for example the trip was a net downhill, then you would get more than 100% efficiency (7/5 = 140%).

That being said 357 is unusally high so there is probably another data issue at play, for example a bug in my code somewhere. ha.

Hi, I'd like to join please. Will it recapture any historic data from Tesla or only from installation forward? (I'd love to have a life of the car tracker.) Thank you.

I would love to that at as well. The answer is no, we are just monitoring the same data you can get on the main app, just putting a lot more logic around it. The mothership has historical data according to the service station people I've spoken with, but it's not, as far as we know at this time, accessable over the API.

Hey guys great app! Been using it for a few days now and it runs smoothly. 8 was however wondering how vampire/phantom drain is tracked?

The main thing that we trigger events off of is the drive state of the car, and secondarily what is going on with the charger. When the phone moves we look at the car, and if there's something interesting happening to it (charging, or transmission engages) then we keep paying attention to it.

Phantom drain is the change of battery range while a) the car is stationary (meaning no change in odometer) and b) the charging state is "
Disconnected". If the car goes on for some reason, this means that the "phantom trip" is over. Generally this means that you got in the car again, and so the phantom trip would start at the time you parked the car until the time the car turned on (generally meaning the transmission is reporting to be "P" instead of off). The difference is the highest battery range reading in that window minus the lowest battery range reading in that window, which for my last phantom trip was 96.05 - 91.98 = 4.07.

There are a couple of other things that could make the data look a little weird, mainly having to do with walking by the car, turning it on, but not actually driving anywhere. There are situations where this would trigger the end of one phantom trip but then immediately start another.
For example, if you have parked your car on the street and then in the morning walked your dog past it and the key was in proximity, this could signal the "end of the trip", since it will turn on the climate control and a bunch of other stuff, at least for a bit, but then another trip would be started.

@wschenk what does it show under trips for vampire/phantom drain? My car has been parked since last night and in the trips tab it still shows the information of the drive home. There is nothing regarding vampire/phantom drain.

Is it under a different tab/section?
We don't currently have a single view for phantom drain, that's coming soon. Instead, check the activity tap for 'my trips' it will be displayed there once you drive next. Glad you like the app, please let us know what else you'd like to see. We will be launching in a few weeks. Appreciate all the feedback and help.