Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslatunity service nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had yearly service done today by mobile technicians. Got a P90D loaner. Said it would take half a day and it did. Couldn’t have been better. Tesla just cancelled the gravy train for a lot of these YouTubers. Blowback seems logical. I presume we’re now seeing some of their true stripes as well. Incentives can be powerful.

idaho? you have no idea what it's like to own a tesla in the real tesla world. :p

Tesla just cancelled the gravy train for a lot of these YouTubers. Blowback seems logical. I presume we’re now seeing some of their true stripes as well. Incentives can be powerful.

Hello, I am Michael from Teslatunity. I don't frequent this forum but have an older ID I created a while back. I got a Google hit on "Teslatunity" which brings me here. My message is important and weak assumptions and mischaracterizations can be damaging. I really don't appreciate a comment like "seeing some of their true stripes" when you simply don't know the truth.

I started referring people to Tesla long before I had a referral code to offer and will continue to do so long after the program ends tomorrow. Moreover if my character was called into question, wouldn't I have waited to post such negative videos until February 2nd as I have 23 referrals, which is a 36% discount on a Roadster (i.e. not a 100% discount with more time left to earn referrals). For me the Roadster as my discount level is still way too much money for a car. $250,000 * 64% = $160,000 x 7.0% sales tax = $171,200 + (30% x $90,000 -- "income tax on the earned discount") = $198,200. Even if I won the Roadster for free I was still facing a $90,000+ tax bill. So no, I didn't start my channel for the Roadster and no I'm not ending my channel because the dream of the possibility of a chance at a Roadster is gone.

I love Tesla and I want them to succeed. If you feel the same way, you should take my video very seriously. Just because you had a good service experience recently doesn't mean there isn't a bad pattern of service issues. Elon started the Q4 Earnings Call with an opening statement regarding service. It's that serious.

I (we) believe in the mission. I (we) love the company. Well the competition is about to arrive over the next 1-2 years. They don't have the mission statement behind them, but it doesn't matter because Tesla is now moving beyond the fan-boy/girl backlog and into the general consumer. The general consumer will go for the popular car at the right price and Tesla has it right now. They won't stand for terrible service on their expensive cars.

Let's hope things turn around, but the horror stories are countless and the time to fix it is right now before the competition arrives.

For me specifically, my car was returned yesterday afternoon. Everything looks good so far. I have a roadmap of exciting videos for 2019, so no the channel doesn't take a permanent turn for the negative just because the unrealistic dream is now gone. I want Tesla to succeed and I'm in it to support that mission, but I hold my integrity in high regard and I will share the bad right along with the good. Let's hope the lean goes back to 99% good!

Hello, I am Michael from Teslatunity. I don't frequent this forum but have an older ID I created a while back. I got a Google hit on "Teslatunity" which brings me here. My message is important and weak assumptions and mischaracterizations can be damaging. I really don't appreciate a comment like "seeing some of their true stripes" when you simply don't know the truth.

I started referring people to Tesla long before I had a referral code to offer and will continue to do so long after the program ends tomorrow. Moreover if my character was called into question, wouldn't I have waited to post such negative videos until February 2nd as I have 23 referrals, which is a 36% discount on a Roadster (i.e. not a 100% discount with more time left to earn referrals). For me the Roadster as my discount level is still way too much money for a car. $250,000 * 64% = $160,000 x 7.0% sales tax = $171,200 + (30% x $90,000 -- "income tax on the earned discount") = $198,200. Even if I won the Roadster for free I was still facing a $90,000+ tax bill. So no, I didn't start my channel for the Roadster and no I'm not ending my channel because the dream of the possibility of a chance at a Roadster is gone.

I love Tesla and I want them to succeed. If you feel the same way, you should take my video very seriously. Just because you had a good service experience recently doesn't mean there isn't a bad pattern of service issues. Elon started the Q4 Earnings Call with an opening statement regarding service. It's that serious.

I (we) believe in the mission. I (we) love the company. Well the competition is about to arrive over the next 1-2 years. They don't have the mission statement behind them, but it doesn't matter because Tesla is now moving beyond the fan-boy/girl backlog and into the general consumer. The general consumer will go for the popular car at the right price and Tesla has it right now. They won't stand for terrible service on their expensive cars.

Let's hope things turn around, but the horror stories are countless and the time to fix it is right now before the competition arrives.

For me specifically, my car was returned yesterday afternoon. Everything looks good so far. I have a roadmap of exciting videos for 2019, so no the channel doesn't take a permanent turn for the negative just because the unrealistic dream is now gone. I want Tesla to succeed and I'm in it to support that mission, but I hold my integrity in high regard and I will share the bad right along with the good. Let's hope the lean goes back to 99% good!

This sounds nuts, but when it comes to the increased volume and demand for service/parts and the ability to get cars in and out the door in the least amount of time, having dealerships will be a real advantage for traditional auto.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
This sounds nuts, but when it comes to the increased volume and demand for service/parts and the ability to get cars in and out the door in the least amount of time, having dealerships will be a real advantage for traditional auto.

I think that's a yes/no/maybe. The dealership model certainly brings the advantage of footprint. The current model has the advantage of controlling the product. Of course we haven't seen that be an advantage yet. On the Q4 earnings call, Elon did mention that common high volume parts will be available at all locations. That's already a great start, but there is more work to do. I'm confident!

I almost spit out my coffee laughing so hard... What is it with you and traditional stealerships? Do you own one or something??? Good lord you're about as obsessed with them as anyone I've ever seen here...

No, stealerships won't help ANYTHING Tesla is doing... Nothing...

I mean come on... Stealerships exist to defraud customers and deceive them into spending money on services they don't need in order to prop up a model that has no future.

Jeff

I think that's a yes/no/maybe. The dealership model certainly brings the advantage of footprint. The current model has the advantage of controlling the product. Of course we haven't seen that be an advantage yet. On the Q4 earnings call, Elon did mention that common high volume parts will be available at all locations. That's already a great start, but there is more work to do. I'm confident!

I watched both of your videos and am amazed that after all of that, you still come back to Tesla and go "please sir I want some more"... I used to be like you, but I've been burned significantly by Tesla now and it would be insane to continue to support a company who's as unethical, inept, and incompetent as this one is...

You do realize Elon has been promising more/better service for YEARS now...??? YEARS... Yet, the EXACT same issues persist world wide only now they're happening at volume. Last time I had my Model X in for service the hood was scratched all to hell but I didn't even bother complaining because it's ALWAYS something with Tesla service...

Tesla only cares about deliveries, as many as possible, as fast as possible and EVERYTHING else comes a vastly distant second and I'm a bit stunned that even with all of your issues, you still refuse to see it.

Jeff

I watched both of your videos and am amazed that after all of that, you still come back to Tesla and go "please sir I want some more"... I used to be like you, but I've been burned significantly by Tesla now and it would be insane to continue to support a company who's as unethical, inept, and incompetent as this one is...

You do realize Elon has been promising more/better service for YEARS now...??? YEARS... Yet, the EXACT same issues persist world wide only now they're happening at volume. Last time I had my Model X in for service the hood was scratched all to hell but I didn't even bother complaining because it's ALWAYS something with Tesla service...

Tesla only cares about deliveries, as many as possible, as fast as possible and EVERYTHING else comes a vastly distant second and I'm a bit stunned that even with all of your issues, you still refuse to see it.

Jeff

As bad as what I went through (and many others have as well), I come back to the love for my car. There is not another car on the road that I would replace it with. That’s how they get this temporary free pass (from me). They’ve also just grown by an insane amount. They’re gone through production hell, delivery hell, transport hell, and now service hell. I think they’ll pull through!

I almost spit out my coffee laughing so hard... What is it with you and traditional stealerships? Do you own one or something??? Good lord you're about as obsessed with them as anyone I've ever seen here...

No, stealerships won't help ANYTHING Tesla is doing... Nothing...

I mean come on... Stealerships exist to defraud customers and deceive them into spending money on services they don't need in order to prop up a model that has no future.

Jeff
They've always given me first class treatment.

it sounds like you are susceptible to their tactics and have been burned. not everyone has the willpower or acumen to understand this type of deal-making.
Sorry to hear that you were scammed.

They've always given me first class treatment.

it sounds like you are susceptible to their tactics and have been burned. not everyone has the willpower or acumen to understand this type of deal-making.
Sorry to hear that you were scammed.

Sounds like you are the exception rather than the rule.

Do note that, in round numbers, 75% of a new car stealership's revenue comes from service. It's not unusual for a "service writer" to earn north of $250K/year. Between that and the inventory costs from carrying hundreds of units at any given minute lot-wide, and I'd suggest that it will be more than a couple of years before your average stealership gives the customer a fair break, versus how it is today. Fair play is just antithetical to a stealership's existence - and that's even after you blow up the traditional sales and financing models.

In my mind, stealerships will cling to the last vestiges of ICE vehicles until the cost of servicing them begins to exceed net revenue.

It's not like there's any rush. New cars account for what, 2.5-4% of annual sales? So at best, you're looking at 25-40 years for full EV penetration, and that again is at best.

Yeah, don't look for stealerships to change their basic approaches relative to taking advantage of customers anytime soon.

Sounds like you are the exception rather than the rule.

Do note that, in round numbers, 75% of a new car stealership's revenue comes from service. It's not unusual for a "service writer" to earn north of $250K/year. Between that and the inventory costs from carrying hundreds of units at any given minute lot-wide, and I'd suggest that it will be more than a couple of years before your average stealership gives the customer a fair break, versus how it is today. Fair play is just antithetical to a stealership's existence - and that's even after you blow up the traditional sales and financing models.

In my mind, stealerships will cling to the last vestiges of ICE vehicles until the cost of servicing them begins to exceed net revenue.

It's not like there's any rush. New cars account for what, 2.5-4% of annual sales? So at best, you're looking at 25-40 years for full EV penetration, and that again is at best.

Yeah, don't look for stealerships to change their basic approaches relative to taking advantage of customers anytime soon.

You left out the biggest revenue items... used car sales and financing.

Why shouldn't a dealership make money on service? Do you think they should fix cars for free? The average car on the road is 12 years old. Are Tesla service centers a non-profit organization?
What are they going to charge when the average Tesla on the road is over a decade old? Do you think they're going to fix those old Falcon Wing doors for free?
I have lots of questions. Even the most serious Tesla fanatics here won't own one out of warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
As bad as what I went through (and many others have as well), I come back to the love for my car. There is not another car on the road that I would replace it with. That’s how they get this temporary free pass (from me). They’ve also just grown by an insane amount. They’re gone through production hell, delivery hell, transport hell, and now service hell. I think they’ll pull through!

They still aren't yet in a position to fix service hell because they aren't totally out of production hell.
They're at a point where they should be able to pay off the convertible note, but they've cut costs again in an attempt to raise margin and buy them time to get to the SR.
They've also moved a chunk of Supercharging out of the price of the car and into the PAYG price.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll manage to lower costs enough to release the SR, and _then_ they'll be able to do something about service hell. But if they can't release the SR, there won't be any service at all.

They still aren't yet in a position to fix service hell because they aren't totally out of production hell.
They're at a point where they should be able to pay off the convertible note, but they've cut costs again in an attempt to raise margin and buy them time to get to the SR.
They've also moved a chunk of Supercharging out of the price of the car and into the PAYG price.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll manage to lower costs enough to release the SR, and _then_ they'll be able to do something about service hell. But if they can't release the SR, there won't be any service at all.

Yeah it should be very interesting to see what happens as SR arrives. The good news is that most of the current production is for cars headed overseas so maybe that gives North America service centers some breathing room to catch up. I know locally here they are building a bigger/dedicated facility. Things like that certainly take time and money though.