Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesloop and New Supercharging Rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like they’ll need to approach Tesla about purchasing a private supercharger or some other contractual arrangement to use the existing infrastructure.

I can’t imagine a private rental service like Turo being impacted, nor would any attempt to do so be particularly enforceable.

Doubt it. It means they'll have to pay for their own electricity..... I don't think that will put them out of business - it will probably add about $6-8 of cost to a one-way drive between LA and Vegas.

Turo would be tougher to monitor since not every Turo owner (for instance, me) uses the Superchargers all that often. My renters probably use it once a month or so, unless they do a road trip, and then Tesla doesn't know if it's me or them.

My guess is Tesla will have a spreadsheet of every vehicle's annual Supercharger usages, will re-sort it highest to lowest, and the top 10% will be singled out as problematic. Probably similar to what the ISP's do to heavy users.

EDIT: Better yet, they will probably run a report of total miles and number of Supercharge miles as a percentage of total miles. Anybody over a certain threshold will be singled out (90-100%?) That makes sense to me.

There are also commercial use license plates in many states depending on how the car got registered. I saw an X at a supercharger the other day with PA "Limo" plates.

As a side note, all electric taxi's (Leaf) are becoming more prevalent. I went to my local mall yesterday and was hoping to top off at the free ChargePoint stations while getting Christmas shopping done. All 6 of them were in use by these taxi's charging back up. Not quite as frustrating as ICE, but I don't think it is right these guys get to collect free electricity and then charge their passengers. Especially when the purpose of those chargers is for folks shopping at the mall.

Reactions: scottf200
Lots of people register their cars in a company name - my company owns my car. That's typical. You're right about the sticker thing though.

Rather than inferring that you have found a loophole around Tesla's new policy, I might suggest the contrary, in that Tesla now has the loophole to exclude a company vehicle, like what you describe, from supercharging.

Reactions: MP3Mike
As I read the announcement, Tesla is acknowledging that they are basically SOL for preventing Tesloop use of superchargers for their current fleet. The wording indicated that they wished commercial use would stop and would threaten "if needed". But they are primarily changing the terms for sales of new vehicles...

EDIT: Better yet, they will probably run a report of total miles and number of Supercharge miles as a percentage of total miles. Anybody over a certain threshold will be singled out (90-100%?) That makes sense to me.
Uh oh... I drive the 2011 Leaf in town and the 70D on road trips. The 70D probably won't get driven for another month, but when it does, all of the miles are SC miles.

Tesla is providing guidance on the proper usage of their Superchargers. There will always be owners gaming the system, however they do so at their own risk.

These new guidelines seem pretty fluid, and it will be up to Tesla on how they are implemented, however they still want to keep their Superchargers freed up to provide quick and convenient service for owners traveling far from their personal charging stations.

Some urban Superchargers are also being planned, but not so they also can be clogged up by commercial charging.

Tesloop has been operating in the negative for years. Their operation is not sustainable and the payback period even if you factor in the free supercharging will never be sustainable after the maintenance registration businesss insurance etc.

If I remember correctly the father of the dude was looking for a way to offset his profit gain taxes on his other business and said this is a great way to help his son start a green business. If his son's business loses money he win in the tax credit and if his son's business takes off, he gains in equity. Win win for him. Plus all those heavily depreciated value vehicles which already meet the SUV tax credit and now can consider heavy asset depreciation which is a losses on the operating expenses. All in all it was a way to scam the government through tax loop holes.

Now if they are banned from using the supercharger, their fleet will become older and older. And their business would probably be more cash negative because no way are they going to wait 8 hours plus to do a full charge. Their Vegas route is shot right there. Their San Diego route might still be fine and other local ones.

All in all good riddance to bad blubber. They occupy heavily my local supercharging stations during peak times and once with multiple cars. Though I have to admit they stay at their vehicle and leave when they are done as opposed to some other people charging there. But for them time is money so that is way they are quick to leave just when they have enough.

I've been at the Qualcomm Supercharger numerous times when the "pilot" of the Tesloop was not "with the car". I had a meeting at QC and 2 Tesloops were there before I got here and still unattended when I left 2 hours later. Needless to say, I find them annoying when there is a line of 8 cars waiting and a couple of Tesloops are charging away.