Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test driving a Plaid but want a LR question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question for the group-

I don't think I am interested in paying the extra 30-40k for a Plaid, but I am intersted in the 2021 LR model. Regardless, I really want to test drive one before making the decision on buying a Tesla. I found a Plaid to drive locally, but there I have not been able to find a LR model to test drive. Obviously, its hard to find any of the refresh models to test.

So, here's my question. Is there a way to set up the Plaid when I am test driving it to simulate the LR model? Other than the flat out extra speed, do you see any other differences? The Plaid will be fun to test out, but I am pretty convinced that I would go with the LR, if I buy a Tesla...

I don't think I am interested in paying the extra 30-40k for a Plaid, but I am intersted in the 2021 LR model. Regardless, I really want to test drive one before making the decision on buying a Tesla. I found a Plaid to drive locally, but there I have not been able to find a LR model to test drive. Obviously, its hard to find any of the refresh models to test.

So, here's my question. Is there a way to set up the Plaid when I am test driving it to simulate the LR model? Other than the flat out extra speed, do you see any other differences? The Plaid will be fun to test out, but I am pretty convinced that I would go with the LR, if I buy a Tesla...
Don’t press the pedal down quite as hard on the Plaid.
They’re the same. Just one extra motor. Spoiler on The rear, highlights stitching in the leather and a spoiler a 5$ Plaid badge on the back.

I wish they would release a software update to allow plaid owners to turn off one of the 3 motors like in economy mode for ICE vehicles where they shut off 2 cylinders out of V8 for better fuel consumption. I struggle to get 200 miles driving in Plaid mode all the time. I need to learn to drive in "Chill" mode more :)
Curious. Do you typically drive close to 200 miles in a day/before you plug in at night?

If you test-drive the Plaid and just drive it in Sport mode instead of Plaid mode, that's a pretty good indicator of how the LR is.

I wish they would release a software update to allow plaid owners to turn off one of the 3 motors like in economy mode for ICE vehicles where they shut off 2 cylinders out of V8 for better fuel consumption. I struggle to get 200 miles driving in Plaid mode all the time. I need to learn to drive in "Chill" mode more :)
What’s your wh/mi?
domyou even know if you’re getting bad mileage?

Curious. Do you typically drive close to 200 miles in a day/before you plug in at night?
No, I know where you're going with this, but I did drive a lot out of the excitement of delivery and noticed how quickly the battery percentage goes down. I lost 20% in 50 miles of spirited driving a combination of city and highway. It's so easy to get up to speed and like the plaid mode rush. I'm just saying, that wouldn't it be nice if you can squeeze more range by turning off a motor. I plan to do road trips and there are situations where anyone would like extra range.

Reactions: 2101Guy
nothing objective other than looking at my trip mileage and how much percentage I started with and what's left when I get home.
It could be a indicator of a bad battery.
Many on here consistently getting 300 miles.
Your wh/mi is a indicator of how hard your driving.
Please look your total up and share. Seems the Plaid is averaging 300-330 it’s incredibly efficient. Even when driving aggressively.

It could be a indicator of a bad battery.
Many on here consistently getting 300 miles.
Your wh/mi is a indicator of how hard your driving.
Please look your total up and share. Seems the Plaid is averaging 300-330 it’s incredibly efficient. Even when driving aggressively.
The 1000 hp Plaid is almost exactly as efficient as my model 3.
Using brakes hard would be a more accurate way of wasting your battery than turning off a motor.

Reactions: Sigma4Life

Attachments

• 6D1F63C8-829A-47F8-B4DF-A829BA32E994.jpeg
    6D1F63C8-829A-47F8-B4DF-A829BA32E994.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 141
The new LR Model S has performance specs very similar to the Insane Mode on the original P85D/P90D or any P100D that didn't opt for Ludicrous Mode.

The primary difference however, is that the LR continues to pull beyond 60 MPH where as the older versions were all go from the start, then fell on their face at the top end. The LR doesn't have quite the shocking g-force from the initial start that the above noted versions had, but gets there in about the same time as those did due to the continued pull

At 3.1 0-60, for $40,000 less, you're still getting a car that will beat just about any other car on the street, including most that have claimed 0-60 times in the same range or even quicker. At the drag strip on a prepped surface, maybe they'll beat you, but on the street, with traction limitations, the Model S LR will win just about any race.

If you've ever driven one of the previously noted models, it's somewhere in the ballpark of those, if that helps, just in case you can't find one.

Reactions: Issaction
Tesla may never have a way to user disable a single rear plaid motor. The two rear wheels are unconnected and it might be a safety issue.

The old S/X has induction front and induction rear. The raven S/X had induction rear and magnets front. Keeping one induction is handy since it can freewheel (be turned off) to save energy.

The 3/Y has induction rear and magnet front. Opposite of raven.

My understanding is one plaid rear half is similar to one whole 3/Y rear, although the lack of Back EMF (lack of torque reduction at high RPM) in the plaid means there is some amazing engineering that also got introduced.

Anyway, if both rear plaids have magnets, turning one off would drag the other.

It would be interesting to see which safety cases Tesla handles. Front disabled? Probably. Both or one rear disabled but front working? Probably. Front and one rear disabled but one rear working? Probably not.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK16688